Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Playstation 3 Region Compatibility

Last response: in Video Games
July 23, 2011 10:18:22 AM

Hello, I'm thinking of buying a US Playstation 3 slim model from Ebay and I'm currently living in Australia. Will PS3 games that I buy in Australia and/or games I import from the UK work on the US console?

Blu-Ray movie compatibility is a non-issue since I have a standalone player, so I am talking strictly games. As for DLC, it is also not an issue since I rarely purchase downloadable content even for my 360.

I don't know whether it is relevant, but I'll be using HDMI through an Australian-bought Sony Bravia which I believe can receive NTSC (in case this was the format of the US console), so from a display output perspective I think I am covered but I don't know for sure; hence my post here.

Another thing I am unsure about is the power plug configuration, will I have to buy an adaptor for the console so that I can plug it into an Australian power point? Moreover is there a voltage difference between US and Aus. power points that could prove a problem with the console?

If there is anything more that I haven't covered, and if anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated :) 

Best solution

July 23, 2011 12:55:30 PM

Games are not an issue. Blu rays can be but you say that's not an issue for you.

I had a similar issue as I had a PS3 in the UK before moving to Hong Kong, where I bought another PS3 slim. My UK games collection were all fine. The films were a problem, which was really annoying until I found a work around.

I've now moved back to the UK and all Hong Kong bought games work fine on my old PS3.

The one really annoying thing though about the Hong Kong system is that the O and X buttons are reversed and I can find no way to change this.
July 23, 2011 12:57:58 PM

bwrlane said:
Games are not an issue. Blu rays can be but you say that's not an issue for you.

I had a similar issue as I had a PS3 in the UK before moving to Hong Kong, where I bought another PS3 slim. My UK games collection were all fine. The films were a problem, which was really annoying until I found a work around.

I've now moved back to the UK and all Hong Kong bought games work fine on my old PS3.

The one really annoying thing though about the Hong Kong system is that the O and X buttons are reversed and I can find no way to change this.

That's great to hear, the games were the main issue of mine. Thanks for the help.
Score
Related resources
July 30, 2011 2:20:48 AM

Best answer selected by Mitchell_R.
Score
July 30, 2011 2:54:05 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!