Third try at MW character

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

OK, still trying to design a class that works decently, here's my latest
attempt:

Imperial

Speechcraft +10
Merchantile +10
Long Blade +10
Blunt Weapon +5
Light Armor +5
Hand to Hand +5

Star of the West
Voice of the Emperor

OK, I know that the blunt and HtH don't really fit my thought that
multiple weapons are a waste, but Long Blade seems much easier to find
weapons for, and I've determined that Speechcraft seems to be very
useful for Taunt purposes. Light Armor because most reports I've read
say that type of armor isn't really all that important, the main thing
is skill in the armor, and Light Armor leaves more room for loot,
something I was running into trouble with already with my Orc.

Also, Imperial because it seems to me I'll be doing a lot of work around
Imperials, and this will help me get on their good sides.

------------------------------
Class: Adventurer (is there a way to change the name of a new class?)
Combat: intention is to be combat oriented
Strength: Long Blade uses this, plus it will help carry loot.
Personality: Speechcraft again, plus merchantile as a bonus

Majors:
Long Blade
Block
Light Armor
Speechcraft
Enchant

Minors:
Armorer
Athletics
Alchemy
Acrobatics
Merchantile

Since you level up on skill ups, acrobatics and athletics, being easy to
raise, should yeild faster skill ups.

I went with Enchant because it supposedly helps use enchanted items even
if you dont get good enough to make them, with Alchemy because potions
seem to be a strong part of the model and because ingrediants are
everywhere. Mercantile I threw in because I didn't see anything more
useful that I'd be good at; with Personality I should be pretty good at
this, and it looks easy to practice, so again, more leveling.

Birthsign, lets see. I think the Steed, simply because I found running
around a lot less annoying with that than with my first character, who
took Apprentice. World is big and wandering slowly thru it doesn't
strike me as too much fun.

Lance

Lance Berg wrote:

> OK, still trying to design a class that works decently, here's my latest
> attempt:
>
> Imperial
>
> Speechcraft +10
> Merchantile +10
> Long Blade +10
> Blunt Weapon +5
> Light Armor +5
> Hand to Hand +5

Speechcraft is governed by Personality, not something you
really care about as a fighter, but yes it does make certain
conversations easier, it's just that there aren't all that
many such conversations.

Mercantile - also governed by Personality. I think this one
is totally useless, unless you're intent on playing a Lawful
Good character who never steals anything.

Long Blade - governed by Strength. Good choice, strength
increases are essential for a fighter and there are a lot
of great magic long blade weapons out there. Some are just
lying around, waiting to be to picked up! ;-)

Blunt Weapon - also governed by Strength. Not essential but
it's fun to have more than one weapon skill. In point of fact,
the best weapon in the game (IMO) is a blunt weapon, so you're
all right here.

Light Armor - governed by Agility. Good choice, getting skill-ups
in LA will raise your Agility which effects several important
combat abilities.

Hand to Hand - governed by Speed. Essentially useless. Speed
is obviously important but there are several better skills to
use to train it up, like Athletics and Short Blade. There is
one teeny-tiny task in Mournhold (Tribunal expansion) which
requires a good H-H skill. Otherwise, why?

> Star of the West
> Voice of the Emperor

I played 2 Imperial characters, mostly because they were one of
the few characters that *weren't* FUGLY! I never used my talents
once.

> OK, I know that the blunt and HtH don't really fit my thought that
> multiple weapons are a waste, but Long Blade seems much easier to find
> weapons for, and I've determined that Speechcraft seems to be very
> useful for Taunt purposes. Light Armor because most reports I've read
> say that type of armor isn't really all that important, the main thing
> is skill in the armor, and Light Armor leaves more room for loot,
> something I was running into trouble with already with my Orc.

Actually, with the relevant governing Attributes at 100, Strength
for LA, and Endurance for MA and HA, you'll have a better Armor
Factor with the best Heavy (Daedric) than the best light (Glass).
The problem is that it's far easier to assemble a complete set of
Glass than it is Daedric. Naturally, you'd need a Strength of 100
to easily wear a set of Daedric, and you can get by with much lower
Strength with Glass. So glass isn't a bad choice. Eventually, you're
going to be so filthy rich that you can buy training in whatever skill
you need to match whatever gear you happen to have. So don't worry.

> Also, Imperial because it seems to me I'll be doing a lot of work around
> Imperials, and this will help me get on their good sides.

It's sort of odd that they don't actually see it that way!
Neither will the Dark Elves take to you any better if you played
one of them. ;-)

> ------------------------------
> Class: Adventurer (is there a way to change the name of a new class?)

Yes, put the mouse cursor over the title and then Backspace to erase
it.

> Combat: intention is to be combat oriented
> Strength: Long Blade uses this, plus it will help carry loot.
> Personality: Speechcraft again, plus merchantile as a bonus
>
> Majors:
> Long Blade
> Block
> Light Armor
> Speechcraft
> Enchant
>
> Minors:
> Armorer
> Athletics
> Alchemy
> Acrobatics
> Merchantile
>
> Since you level up on skill ups, acrobatics and athletics, being easy to
> raise, should yeild faster skill ups.

Yep, I always chose those two.

Not a terrible skill set, certainly not what I would use but
what the heck! You've got Strength, Agility and Speed covered,
but not Endurance. Endurance is the major factor in determining
total hit points. Fighter types should have at least one skill
governed by Endurance in order to gain Attribute multipliers.
I would drop the Mercantile in favor of Medium Armor. There is
some good Medium Armor available that's fairly cheap and easily
obtained early on, and if you get the Adamantium Armor mod from
Bethesda, some *very* good Medium (though more expensive) is
available right away. Later, when you have so much gold you don't
know what to spend it on, you can train up in Heavy Armor and wear
Ebony and Daedric.

> I went with Enchant because it supposedly helps use enchanted items even

In theory, you use less of the total magical energy in a Cast On
Strike weapon when you have a high Enchant skill. I never found
it to make that much of a difference though. In fact, I prefer
not to use Cast On Strike weapons, and instead put other modifiers
on my weapons.

> if you dont get good enough to make them, with Alchemy because potions
> seem to be a strong part of the model and because ingrediants are
> everywhere.

Alchemy is great, especially for fighters. You will *need* lots
of high powered health potions, and alchemy is the best way to
get them. If you care to attempt it, you can force Alchemy to
an extremely high (really overpowering, though temporary) level
and make potions that are far more powerful than the designers
intended.

> Mercantile I threw in because I didn't see anything more
> useful that I'd be good at; with Personality I should be pretty good at
> this, and it looks easy to practice, so again, more leveling.

I never liked Mercantile, but whatever...
Personality at least is useful in certain situations.

> Birthsign, lets see. I think the Steed, simply because I found running
> around a lot less annoying with that than with my first character, who
> took Apprentice. World is big and wandering slowly thru it doesn't
> strike me as too much fun.

True enough, but that initial extra 25 points is going to become
useless fairly quickly when you gain skill-ups in Athletics and
get multipliers in Speed. None of the Attribute modifiers is worth
taking for this very reason: they *only* effect the first few levels.
IMO, the best Birthsign for a fighter is "The Warrior" because it's
a *permanent* 10% increase in Attack; that means for the life of the
character, he will average 10% more hits and do 10% more damage.

Obviously, all of the above is personal choice, and as I said, it
doesn't really matter how you start your character, because they
game allows you to train in *anything* easily as long as you have
the requisite gold to buy training. Maxing a character's attributes
at 100 isn't really a requirement either, you're going to overpower
nearly everything you meet on Vvardenfell by the time you're level
30. Tribunal is a bit tougher though, and Bloodmoon tougher still,
but by the time you're ready for them you'll no doubt have learned
how to work around whatever deficiencies you find in your character.

Have fun! ;-)

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

Lance Berg wrote:
<snip>
> ------------------------------
> Class: Adventurer (is there a way to change the name of a new class?)
<snip>

The answer is yes, when you create the class you should be able to
specify the name in the text box above the skills.

~Cameron

"Briarroot" <woodsyl@iwonantispam.com> wrote in message
> Lance Berg wrote:
>>
>> OK, still trying to design a class that works decently, here's my latest
>> attempt:
>>
>> Imperial
>>
>> Speechcraft +10
>> Merchantile +10
>> Long Blade +10
>> Blunt Weapon +5
>> Light Armor +5
>> Hand to Hand +5
>
> Speechcraft is governed by Personality, not something you
> really care about as a fighter, but yes it does make certain
> conversations easier, it's just that there aren't all that
> many such conversations.
>
> Mercantile - also governed by Personality. I think this one
> is totally useless, unless you're intent on playing a Lawful
> Good character who never steals anything.
>
> Long Blade - governed by Strength. Good choice, strength
> increases are essential for a fighter and there are a lot
> of great magic long blade weapons out there. Some are just
> lying around, waiting to be to picked up! ;-)
>
> Blunt Weapon - also governed by Strength. Not essential but
> it's fun to have more than one weapon skill. In point of fact,
> the best weapon in the game (IMO) is a blunt weapon, so you're
> all right here.
>
> Light Armor - governed by Agility. Good choice, getting skill-ups
> in LA will raise your Agility which effects several important
> combat abilities.
>
> Hand to Hand - governed by Speed. Essentially useless. Speed
> is obviously important but there are several better skills to
> use to train it up, like Athletics and Short Blade. There is
> one teeny-tiny task in Mournhold (Tribunal expansion) which
> requires a good H-H skill. Otherwise, why?

Hand to hand can be very powerful at higher levels. My characters have used
it to defeat daedra, etc. Since it is governed by speed, you can punch
several times while your opponent is trying to get in a single blow. It is
harder to manage against multiple opponents. My magical characters ususally
are equipped with it when they cast a bound weapon spell. If it wears off,
they start punching. H-t-H is rather weak in the beginning though you will
level quickly in it. (Possibly more quickly than you want to.) If you uaw
H-t-H, try fighting the mudcrabs you find at the beginning of the game. You
may have to switch to another weapon at first if you take too much damage.

Lance Berg wrote:

> OK, still trying to design a class that works decently, here's my latest
> attempt:
>
> Imperial
>
> Speechcraft +10
> Merchantile +10
> Long Blade +10
> Blunt Weapon +5
> Light Armor +5
> Hand to Hand +5
>
> Star of the West
> Voice of the Emperor

> ------------------------------
> Class: Adventurer
> Combat: intention is to be combat oriented
> Strength: Long Blade uses this, plus it will help carry loot.
> Personality: Speechcraft again, plus merchantile as a bonus
>
> Majors:
> Long Blade
> Block
Medium armor
> Speechcraft
> Enchant
>

> Minors:
> Armorer
> Athletics
> Alchemy
> Acrobatics
> Merchantile

> Birthsign, lets see. I think the Steed
After changing this to Medium armor instead of Light, here are my
starting stats

HT 45
Mag 40
Fat 150

STR 50
INT 40
WILL 30
AGI 30
SPEED 65
END 40
PER 60
LUCK 40

Block 35
Long Blade 45
Medium Armor 35
Speechcraft 40
Enchantment 30

Acrobatics 15
Athletics 20
Merchantile 25
Armorer 20
Alchemy 15

drybones

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

Lance, welcome to Morrowind. Try the below sites for great information.

http://www.uesp.net/esplink.shtml

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?s=f30e1968b223fc1d781d5067bc00635e&act=idx

"Lance Berg" <emporer@dejazzd.com> wrote in message

> Lance Berg wrote:
>
>> OK, still trying to design a class that works decently, here's my latest
>> attempt:
>>
>> Imperial
>>
>> Speechcraft +10
>> Merchantile +10
>> Long Blade +10
>> Blunt Weapon +5
>> Light Armor +5
>> Hand to Hand +5
>>
>> Star of the West
>> Voice of the Emperor
>
>> ------------------------------
>> Class: Adventurer
>> Combat: intention is to be combat oriented
>> Strength: Long Blade uses this, plus it will help carry loot.
>> Personality: Speechcraft again, plus merchantile as a bonus
>>
>> Majors:
>> Long Blade
>> Block
> Medium armor
>> Speechcraft
>> Enchant
>>

>> Minors:
>> Armorer
>> Athletics
>> Alchemy
>> Acrobatics
>> Merchantile
>
>> Birthsign, lets see. I think the Steed
> After changing this to Medium armor instead of Light, here are my starting
> stats
>
> HT 45
> Mag 40
> Fat 150
>
> STR 50
> INT 40
> WILL 30
> AGI 30
> SPEED 65
> END 40
> PER 60
> LUCK 40
>
> Block 35
> Long Blade 45
> Medium Armor 35
> Speechcraft 40
> Enchantment 30
>
> Acrobatics 15
> Athletics 20
> Merchantile 25
> Armorer 20
> Alchemy 15

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 18:45:25 -0500, with the help of 10,000 Little
Computer Monkeys (LCM'S) Lance Berg <emporer@dejazzd.com> wrote:

>OK, still trying to design a class that works decently, here's my latest
>attempt:
>
>Imperial
>
>Speechcraft +10
>Merchantile +10
>Long Blade +10
>Blunt Weapon +5
>Light Armor +5
>Hand to Hand +5
>
>Star of the West
>Voice of the Emperor
>
>OK, I know that the blunt and HtH don't really fit my thought that
>multiple weapons are a waste, but Long Blade seems much easier to find
>weapons for, and I've determined that Speechcraft seems to be very
>useful for Taunt purposes. Light Armor because most reports I've read
>say that type of armor isn't really all that important, the main thing
>is skill in the armor, and Light Armor leaves more room for loot,
>something I was running into trouble with already with my Orc.

Good Choice, since not long after spending a night or two in Balmora,
your character will be able to salvage a full set of Dark Brotherhood
armor (Great Light armor) from an Attacker, IF you have Tribunal
installed with Morrowind.

>Also, Imperial because it seems to me I'll be doing a lot of work around
>Imperials, and this will help me get on their good sides.

May I suggest playing a Breton instead, the Breton's 50 percent magic
resistance means that your character will take alot less damage from
magic attacks! Plus if you get the "Boots of Blinding Speed" with their
200 point speed increase (as in FAST running), even without other Magic
Resistance aids (I.E. a Ring of 50% Magic Resistance for maybe 3 - 5
seconds) your character will be able to wear them without being
completely blinded...
>------------------------------
>Class: Adventurer (is there a way to change the name of a new class?)
>Combat: intention is to be combat oriented
>Strength: Long Blade uses this, plus it will help carry loot.
>Personality: Speechcraft again, plus merchantile as a bonus

Don't forget the Value of a High Luck attribute since it affects a lot
of what happens in the game, including your chance of finding better
loot in many containers...

>Majors:
>Long Blade
>Block
>Light Armor
>Speechcraft
>Enchant
>

>Minors:
>Armorer
>Athletics
>Alchemy
>Acrobatics
>Merchantile

There is a traveling merchant a short distance northeast of Vivec that
will increase your characters Merchantile skill I think 10 points if
your character can recover his stolen Raw Glass from a nearby bandit
cave.

>Since you level up on skill ups, acrobatics and athletics, being easy to
>raise, should yeild faster skill ups.
>
>I went with Enchant because it supposedly helps use enchanted items even
>if you dont get good enough to make them, with Alchemy because potions
>seem to be a strong part of the model and because ingrediants are
>everywhere. Mercantile I threw in because I didn't see anything more
>useful that I'd be good at; with Personality I should be pretty good at
>this, and it looks easy to practice, so again, more leveling.

Don't bother with Enchant as a Major skill, as a Fighter you're better
off with a skill that will help increase your characters endurance as
fast as possible!

>Birthsign, lets see. I think the Steed, simply because I found running
>around a lot less annoying with that than with my first character, who
>took Apprentice. World is big and wandering slowly thru it doesn't
>strike me as too much fun.

Try the Lady, her endurance increase will give your character more
starting hit points as well as additional hit points EVERY time your
character gains a level thanks to your characters higher starting
endurance!

For a Free Speed increase, Escort Pemenie (she's west of Caldera) to
Gnaar Mok and she will give your character the "Boots of Blinding Speed"
which fortify speed 200 points. BTW, the monsters between Caldera and
Gnaar Mok are based on your characters level, which means that a level 1
or 2 character shouldn't face anything worse than a rat or two along the
way...

>Lance

That's my 2¢,

FTA

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

-Martin Luther King Jr.

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:52:26 -0500, Briarroot
<woodsyl@iwonantispam.com> wrote:

>Alchemy is great, especially for fighters. You will *need* lots
>of high powered health potions, and alchemy is the best way to
>get them. If you care to attempt it, you can force Alchemy to
>an extremely high (really overpowering, though temporary) level
>and make potions that are far more powerful than the designers
>intended.

My present character is an assassin who also needs lots of restore
health potions. Alchemy is the easiest way to get those +5 modifiers
in intelligence which is handy for your spell casting ability. I've
given myself a self-imposed restriction against multiple fortify
intelligence potions since if you get seriously into these you can
make fortify strength potions that can take your strength > 10000.
(Admittedly those 1000 point Night Eye potions are nice particularly
in Bloodmoon)

I make a point of buying hammers whenever I'm at a smith to build up
my armorer skill which adds to strength. If you DO spend money on
training (and most people here are of two minds on this) spear is the
cheapest way to get your strength up.

My main interest in alchemy (which is one of the few things that all
my characters have had in common) is to get their intelligence up and
make enough money from a certain scamp in Caldera so that it's my own
efforts and not lack of funds that prevent successful completion of
quests. Plus it's FUN to routinely dish out 100 gp bribes...though I
simply don't know how you could do the Suran Underworld without
spending thousands on bribes!

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 15:32:36 GMT, FTA <FTA@fake.email> wrote:

>For a Free Speed increase, Escort Pemenie (she's west of Caldera) to
>Gnaar Mok and she will give your character the "Boots of Blinding Speed"
>which fortify speed 200 points. BTW, the monsters between Caldera and
>Gnaar Mok are based on your characters level, which means that a level 1
>or 2 character shouldn't face anything worse than a rat or two along the
>way...

I've found a Jink sword is the best way to deal with Pemenic...

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

FTA <FTA@fake.email> wrote in

[snip]
> Why kill her when she didn't do anything wrong, nor does she have
> anything valuable other than the Boots of Blinding Speed which she'll
> give your character at the end of a short trip? :( Granted I can see
> Taunting someone into a fight if they've got something Really Nice
> that you can't get any other way, however killing someone that isn't
> even annoying your character, for the simple pleasure of killing them
> is WRONG!

That's the beauty of Morrowind. You can be as nice or as evil as you
like.

But you have to live with the consequences (and your conscience, if that
is a factor).

Solved it at least three times being the good guy. Now I'm going through
it again with a completely wretched thief, scoundrel and murderer.

Try sneaking around Vivec with a 6000+ bounty. Eeeeh.

--
~sethra

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 03:00:58 GMT, FTA <FTA@fake.email> wrote:

>>I've found a Jink sword is the best way to deal with Pemenic...
>
>Why kill her when she didn't do anything wrong, nor does she have
>anything valuable other than the Boots of Blinding Speed which she'll
>give your character at the end of a short trip? :( Granted I can see
>Taunting someone into a fight if they've got something Really Nice that
>you can't get any other way, however killing someone that isn't even
>annoying your character, for the simple pleasure of killing them is
>WRONG!

Have you read what the merchants have to say about her?

Not exactly sweet and innocent to put it mildly...

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 01:29:33 -0600, with the help of 10,000 Little
Computer Monkeys (LCM'S) sethra <azoblue@myrealboxDOT.com> wrote:

>FTA <FTA@fake.email> wrote in
>
>[snip]
>> Why kill her when she didn't do anything wrong, nor does she have
>> anything valuable other than the Boots of Blinding Speed which she'll
>> give your character at the end of a short trip? :( Granted I can see
>> Taunting someone into a fight if they've got something Really Nice
>> that you can't get any other way, however killing someone that isn't
>> even annoying your character, for the simple pleasure of killing them
>> is WRONG!
>
>That's the beauty of Morrowind. You can be as nice or as evil as you
>like.
>
>But you have to live with the consequences (and your conscience, if that
>is a factor).

True, and while my characters are not against Most Theft or even SOME
Murder, I do believe that there should be a good reason for committing
Murder! Granted to me, some valid reasons for murder are:

1. To obtain a Unique item of theirs that can't be obtained without
violence.

2. To complete a Quest.

3. To improve the game, by Terminally removing REALLY Annoying NPC's
from the world of Morrowind! ^_^

>Solved it at least three times being the good guy. Now I'm going through
>it again with a completely wretched thief, scoundrel and murderer.

I agree, the first few times I played the game I tried to play a mostly
nice character. Now my characters have a ring enchanted with Frenzy
Humanoid 100 points for 3 - 5 seconds the first chance they get, so that
they can Legally defend themselves from ANNOYING but normally
UnTauntable NPC's! ^_^

Though to be honest, I can't even imagine me being able to play a Truely
GOOD character such as maybe a Paladin since Sneaking, Backstabbing and
Theft add Infinitely replayable spice to the game... <L>

>Try sneaking around Vivec with a 6000+ bounty. Eeeeh.

You've got me beat with that one! <LOL> Though it is fun running around
Vivec wearing Temple Guard Armor...

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 05:40:35 GMT, FTA <FTA@fake.email> wrote:

>Though to be honest, I can't even imagine me being able to play a Truely
>GOOD character such as maybe a Paladin since Sneaking, Backstabbing and
>Theft add Infinitely replayable spice to the game... <L>
>>
>>Try sneaking around Vivec with a 6000+ bounty. Eeeeh.
>
>You've got me beat with that one! <LOL> Though it is fun running around
>Vivec wearing Temple Guard Armor...

Actually that's pretty easy - just have a large supply of levitation
potions on a hotkey - I once visited Creeper flying from outside the
walls to his second story balcony for that very reason. As I recall I
had a LOT of stuff to sell but no cash to speak of to get the price
off my head ... getting back to Balmora and the Thieves Guild was
challenging as well :)

drybones wrote:
> "CE" as in CE Invisibility item. Do not understand the term "CE". Please
> advise.

Constant Effect.

drybones

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

Many Thanks, old dumb poop knew about constant but never used CE initials
8^)

drybones wrote:

> "CE" as in CE Invisibility item. Do not understand the term "CE". Please
> advise.
> drybones

CE is "Constant Effect", ie enchanted with the soul of either a Golden
Saint or Ascended Sleeper. Forget about being able to kill either until
you're a reasonably high level.

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 15:02:10 -0800, with the help of 10,000 Little
Computer Monkeys (LCM'S) "drybones" <drybones@nospam.net> wrote:

>Many Thanks, old dumb poop knew about constant but never used CE initials
>8^)

Sorry for the misunderstanding I'm a one finger typer and since I
THOUGHT that everyone here knew what CE ment, I tried to save myself
some typing. :( In the future, I'll try to remember to define CE at
least once in future posts here...

In <MaqdnUntD5yJ1gjcRVn-qQ@dejazzd.com> Lance Berg <emporer@dejazzd.com> writes:

>Birthsign, lets see. I think the Steed, simply because I found running
>around a lot less annoying with that than with my first character, who
>took Apprentice. World is big and wandering slowly thru it doesn't
>strike me as too much fun.

There's a nice little mod that lowers endurance usage so you aren't out
of breath after running 20 feet as well. I always use it when I play MW
because I hated that design feature.

--
Artificial Intelligence stands no chance against Natural Stupidity.
GAT d- -p+(--) c++++ l++ u++ t- m--- W--- !v

In <419568DA.76DAFCD0@iwonantispam.com> Briarroot <woodsyl@iwonantispam.com> writes:

>I played 2 Imperial characters, mostly because they were one of
>the few characters that *weren't* FUGLY! I never used my talents
>once.

One of the head replacement mods helps here. I have all my favorite mods
archived away on cd atm so can't remember the name. Should be findable
on morrowind summit though. I think the one I used was by Astarsis.

>> OK, I know that the blunt and HtH don't really fit my thought that
>> multiple weapons are a waste, but Long Blade seems much easier to find
>> weapons for, and I've determined that Speechcraft seems to be very
>> useful for Taunt purposes. Light Armor because most reports I've read
>> say that type of armor isn't really all that important, the main thing
>> is skill in the armor, and Light Armor leaves more room for loot,
>> something I was running into trouble with already with my Orc.

>Actually, with the relevant governing Attributes at 100, Strength
>for LA, and Endurance for MA and HA, you'll have a better Armor
>Factor with the best Heavy (Daedric) than the best light (Glass).
>The problem is that it's far easier to assemble a complete set of
>Glass than it is Daedric. Naturally, you'd need a Strength of 100
>to easily wear a set of Daedric, and you can get by with much lower
>Strength with Glass. So glass isn't a bad choice. Eventually, you're
>going to be so filthy rich that you can buy training in whatever skill
>you need to match whatever gear you happen to have. So don't worry.

My last character started out with mace specialty and ended up using a
spear from a daedric quest.

>> Also, Imperial because it seems to me I'll be doing a lot of work around
>> Imperials, and this will help me get on their good sides.

>It's sort of odd that they don't actually see it that way!
>Neither will the Dark Elves take to you any better if you played
>one of them. ;-)

>Yep, I always chose those two.

>Not a terrible skill set, certainly not what I would use but
>what the heck! You've got Strength, Agility and Speed covered,
>but not Endurance. Endurance is the major factor in determining
>total hit points. Fighter types should have at least one skill
>governed by Endurance in order to gain Attribute multipliers.
>I would drop the Mercantile in favor of Medium Armor. There is
>some good Medium Armor available that's fairly cheap and easily
>obtained early on, and if you get the Adamantium Armor mod from
>Bethesda, some *very* good Medium (though more expensive) is
>available right away. Later, when you have so much gold you don't
>know what to spend it on, you can train up in Heavy Armor and wear
>Ebony and Daedric.

You can get endurance multipliers from skilling non major/minor skills,
and as those skills start out lower, you can get more endurance skillups
raising them though.

>> I went with Enchant because it supposedly helps use enchanted items even

>In theory, you use less of the total magical energy in a Cast On
>Strike weapon when you have a high Enchant skill. I never found
>it to make that much of a difference though. In fact, I prefer
>not to use Cast On Strike weapons, and instead put other modifiers
>on my weapons.

You can also recharge those weapons with soulgems which in turn raises
enchant skill.

>> if you dont get good enough to make them, with Alchemy because potions
>> seem to be a strong part of the model and because ingrediants are
>> everywhere.

>Alchemy is great, especially for fighters. You will *need* lots
>of high powered health potions, and alchemy is the best way to
>get them. If you care to attempt it, you can force Alchemy to
>an extremely high (really overpowering, though temporary) level
>and make potions that are far more powerful than the designers
>intended.

Plus potions stack, so if you drink 20 raise strength 5 potions you
raise your strenth to 100. Raising your Int up to several hundred also
improves your potions duration considerably. This can lead to the most
rediculously overpowered potions though.

>> Mercantile I threw in because I didn't see anything more
>> useful that I'd be good at; with Personality I should be pretty good at
>> this, and it looks easy to practice, so again, more leveling.

>I never liked Mercantile, but whatever...
>Personality at least is useful in certain situations.

Isn't there a bug in merc skill where the lowered price also gets
applied to what you sell as well? Seems to me one character I made had
high merc skill and while vendor prices were cheaper they offered me
less for things I sold too.

--

In article <cnl0c5$je9$1@wu.bogon.com>, jhenders@example.com says...

> Isn't there a bug in merc skill where the lowered price also gets
> applied to what you sell as well? Seems to me one character I made had
> high merc skill and while vendor prices were cheaper they offered me
> less for things I sold too.

You are right on that, i.i.r.c. (haven't played in a couple of months)
BUT what does increase considerably with increasing skill is your
trading margin. Once you get mercantile past a certain point you can buy
an item off a trader and sell it back to them at an ever increasing
profit. Works particularly well with enchanted arrows or some such (buy
and sell 500 at a time until the guy is out of funds). Also works well
with some highly-priced spell scrolls. Make thousands in minutes (beats
lugging misc. looted armour around the landscape)

-Peter

--
direct replies to peters[underscore]spambot[at]