Crappy RAM or crappy MOBO?

G

I have A7V with 800Mhz Athlon and cheap pc133 CAS2.5 256Mb(I have loaned my other 192Mb to my friend, but it is high quality Kingmax pc133 CAS2) RAM that can't be o'clocked higher and when I set fsb to 101Mhz - it just won't post. EVEN when set it as pc100 CAS3 it doesn't post at all. But it did before with Kingmax RAM(up to 110mhz), I didn't buy any new hardware, I have GeForce2 MX and SB Live! value and 56K modem. Why would that be this way? why wouldn't cheap pc133 RAm work at 101mhz ? When I don't o'clock fsb and set RAM to pc100 it works fine. This is the biggest problem I have ever experienced with my PC.

G

go away? I was told that on this forum I should stop asking questions answer on which I can find somewhere else and this should be troubleshooting forum, well THIS IS IT! MY BIGGEST PROBLEM!

G

??? defective? it works at 133mhz and 100mhz but doesn't work at 101mhz, defective?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm sorry, maybe it's the user that's defective. You should have said that it ran at both speds to begin with. There is no good reason why it will run at 100 and 133 but not 101, the defective part sits behind the keyboard.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

Amen.....i thought you had pc 150 fro another post? go away, please.

ignore everything i say

G

I DID!!! IT WAS CRAP! I GAVE IT BACK AND I SAID IN THE OTHER POST!

G

MAKE ME! maybe I made a mistake in my post and maybe this is very hard for you to answer, I don't blame you for that. if you can't - no coments then. At least I don't tell anyone to go away and call defective. I tried everyting and I'm stunned because of this RAM crap too, but I had hope that somebody may know the answer to my problem. I had 1.5gigs of pc150 CAS2.5 but it had the same problem so I gave it back. I tried to set fsb to 101, 103 and 105 and won't even post. I tried to set to CAS3 abd then CAS2 and I TRIED ALMOST EVERYTHING! I don't come here and ask before I try to solve problem myself.

G

It could be a combination of both bad RAM and the fact that the motherboard probably won't run on 101MHz because it is not a standard or supported bus speed. I have a Tyan Trinity K7 S2380 that will run at 101MHz but is very unstable. It is recommended that it runs at either 100 or 133 but not any other frequency. It could be that that speed is causing an instability on the motherboard and rather than run the system crashes. Hope this helps, and sorry for the many nasty and inconsiderate people that live in this world.

Good luck.

Tahoma

G

I thought so too, but why did it work at 110Mhz then? and now it doesn't...maybe I should set my I/0 voltage to max? I can try that if anyone will be able to answer WILL FRY MY COMPONENETS? My friend purchased the same RAM at the exactly the same place and it goes as far as 143Mhz...

G

I say we take Crashman out back and use duct tape and suntan oil on him.

TRENDING THREADS