Sign in with
Your question

External HD

Last response: in Mac Os X
November 14, 2011 1:11:59 AM

What is a good external hard drive to buy for the MBA 11inch 64HD to match up with? Thanks mary

More about : external

November 14, 2011 2:35:53 AM

at the moment nothing. due to the natural disasters in production areas the price for HDD's hase risen 30-70% some cases even more. if its not a urgent thing i would try to wait.
m
l
November 14, 2011 2:36:43 AM

i would be looking at something in the 2.5" size to go with the Air, so ur keeping with the small and portable theme.
m
l
Related resources
November 14, 2011 3:02:51 AM

Bare drives have gone up about 30 - 40%. But there's still a lot of USB drives in the pipeline that are at their old prices.
m
l
November 15, 2011 1:02:42 AM

HugoStiglitz said:
i would be looking at something in the 2.5" size to go with the Air, so ur keeping with the small and portable theme.
What about the new Seagate light weight external hard drives?
m
l
November 15, 2011 10:05:43 AM

I find that all of these portable drives are much of a muchness. I've got a 320GB version of that particular Seagate drive, and it works just fine. Just bear in mind that, if you are using it just on a Mac then it's a good idea to reformat it as HFS+ rather than sticking with the default FAT32 format.

Whatever you do, avoid special MAC external drives. In my experience they cost twice as much for exactly the same hardware.
m
l
November 15, 2011 3:35:03 PM

Ijack said:
Whatever you do, avoid special MAC external drives. In my experience they cost twice as much for exactly the same hardware.

Not sure what you mean by "special MAC external drives." Drives that target the Mac market will have FW800, and some are starting to put Thunderbolt ports on them, but the prices are the same unless you get nice solid metal enclosure. I have found the prices for FW800 drive to be the same as other comparable HD's. Personally I like Glyph and G-Tech, but I do own a couple of external Seagate's that have served me well. I wouldn't get anything smaller than 1 Tb.
m
l
November 15, 2011 6:55:31 PM

Yoder54 said:
Not sure what you mean by "special MAC external drives." Drives that target the Mac market will have FW800, and some are starting to put Thunderbolt ports on them, but the prices are the same unless you get nice solid metal enclosure. I have found the prices for FW800 drive to be the same as other comparable HD's. Personally I like Glyph and G-Tech, but I do own a couple of external Seagate's that have served me well. I wouldn't get anything smaller than 1 Tb.

The OP has a MacBook Air...FW800 won't do him much good...without spending even more on a TB hub.
m
l
November 16, 2011 12:47:18 AM

Ijack said:
I find that all of these portable drives are much of a muchness. I've got a 320GB version of that particular Seagate drive, and it works just fine. Just bear in mind that, if you are using it just on a Mac then it's a good idea to reformat it as HFS+ rather than sticking with the default FAT32 format.

I have a MBA with only 64HD with 2 gigs of ram. I want to download music and photos and this is crap what I have now. What do you suggest? thanks
m
l
November 16, 2011 7:02:35 AM

I'd get the Seagate one that was mentioned earlier (they come in several sizes). USB 2.0 isn't as fast an interface as Firewire or Thunderbolt, but it's fine for your purposes (and, of course, cheaper). Before you use it, use Disk Utility to reformat it as an HFS+ drive. You might want to use it as a Time Machine drive too. In that case I would partition it to dedicate a partition to TM.
m
l
November 17, 2011 12:14:36 AM

Ijack said:
I'd get the Seagate one that was mentioned earlier (they come in several sizes). USB 2.0 isn't as fast an interface as Firewire or Thunderbolt, but it's fine for your purposes (and, of course, cheaper). Before you use it, use Disk Utility to reformat it as an HFS+ drive. You might want to use it as a Time Machine drive too. In that case I would partition it to dedicate a partition to TM.
Thanks for your response. May consider it.
m
l
November 18, 2011 1:11:41 AM

halcyon said:
The OP has a MacBook Air...FW800 won't do him much good...without spending even more on a TB hub.
What is wrong with 500HD to get? For the MBA
m
l
November 18, 2011 7:58:29 PM

Nothing at all is wrong with getting a 500GB HDD, it ill fill up before a much larger one but if all you needs is <=500GB than that should suit you fine.
m
l
November 18, 2011 8:06:52 PM

Just a word of warning. Buy sooner rather than later. Hard disk prices are soaring. I think this is mainly affecting bare drives at the moment, but it's soon going to filter through to equipment with drives in them. And it's going to get worse before it gets better. Current estimates are that it may be a year or more before prices drop to the level they were at a few weeks back.

This is quite unusual, because of exceptional circumstances. We are used to a steady drop in disk prices. This is the first time that I can remember prices rising.
m
l
November 19, 2011 12:33:42 AM

Ijack said:
Just a word of warning. Buy sooner rather than later. Hard disk prices are soaring. I think this is mainly affecting bare drives at the moment, but it's soon going to filter through to equipment with drives in them. And it's going to get worse before it gets better. Current estimates are that it may be a year or more before prices drop to the level they were at a few weeks back.

This is quite unusual, because of exceptional circumstances. We are used to a steady drop in disk prices. This is the first time that I can remember prices rising.
Account of the floods in Thailand happening now. So buy asap than later you are suggesting to me. Okay mary
m
l
November 19, 2011 12:36:05 AM

Unless you wait a year or so?
m
l
November 20, 2011 12:10:10 AM

amdfangirl said:
Unless you wait a year or so?

Are you kidding me that long?marv
m
l
November 20, 2011 1:19:58 AM

musical marv said:
Are you kidding me that long?marv

Well that's the other option.

Analysists predict the prices will peak and begin to fall Q2 2012 and I'm guessing by Q4 2012, the prices will be sane.
m
l
November 20, 2011 9:23:48 AM

Well, it does have a nice Al casing. Hahaha. They're just riding the Apple tax wave...the drive isn't even 7,200RPM (if it was it'd surely be noted).
m
l
!