Here's my specs:
Asus A7A266 bios ver. 1004(newest)
Athlon 1.4 gig and
Athlon 1.33 gig Cooler Master hsf
256 ddram
40 gig ibm hardrive
geforce1 ddr
300 watt power supply

My computer is running fine, until it overheats and freezes.
At idle speed it runs about 138F-140F but gets around 148F-150F when playing games.
The vcore is running at 1.85 volts (on both processors) but should be at 1.75.
I tried changing the voltage manually in the bios, but it wont budge from 1.85. Also tried changing VID jumper.
Could this increase in voltage cause my processor to heat up more than it should? Happens with both processors(neither overclocked). Definitely not the processors' fault. Should i get a replacement board?
This is the first computer I built. Am I doing anything wrong?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Although most T-Bird use lower voltage, the 1.4 is a new core revision that may require higher voltage, I can't be sure unless I get one.
I can tell you this-the Coolermaster is probably NOT good enough for the 1.4, you should get something better. The VolcanoII MIGHT be good enough, and is available for $9 at www.nexfan.com. They also sell a VolcanoII with a Delta fan for even better cooling, but the Delta is noisy, while the stock fan is not.
Nexfan also sells the ND-8 and ND-9 which they claim outperforms the VolcanoII, but I don't know if this is true. I tested the VolcanoII and it is a fairly good cooler.
Or you could try a Swiftech cooler, but they are very pricey.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

I just wanted to ask you on your system board. Make sure that you have the Jumper for the "VID" enabled. Its is right above the DIP switch. I know that ASUS in the manual says that its enabled by default. But it really isn't. Check that ASAP! OK Let me know what you find.

AMD Athlon 1533MHz OC'ed & ASUS A7A266

FEB

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
On my A7A266 v1.03 there are no jumpers on the VID pins at all. Does this mean that VID is enabled or disabled??

Also,what is the vCore expected from 1.2gb Athlon??

G

The VID should be enabled, jumper to the left. One of my techs fryed a few chips before noticing the jumper was missing. If you look towards the bottom of the board you will notice that Voltage DIP Switchs are missing. Which really sucks. Once you put that jumper on you should be able to set it in the Bios and the it will also Auto-detect the proper voltage. I believe that proper voltage 1.7 or 1.75. Not sure, but I think its 1.75