Need help badly

G

I am new to the forum, and I humbly ask for some help.

I have been building my own systems for over 5 years now, and I have just built my first p4 system and am absolutely stuck. For some reason, the direct3d and OpenGL performance is absolutely horrid on this new system, even being slower than my old p2 system!! I know I have forgotten to do something, but as I am totally unfamiliar with the new hardware, I really need help, please.

The system is a p4 1.4 GHz, ASUS P4T Motherboard, 512 MEG of PC800 rambus RAM, 30 GIG Maxtor 7400RPM HD, Intel 10/100 NIC, Creative Sound Blaster Live!, and a VisionTek GeForce 3 Video card, with Windows Me as the OS.

I made sure that I installed DirectX 8, and downloaded the newest detonator drivers from nvidia’s web site. Performance was extremely choppy on any Direct3d application, and also on the nvidia demos that came packaged with the video adapter. I tried this same card with the same drivers in my pIII 650MHz system, and performance was outstanding. Then I even tried using my old GeForce card in the new p4 box (just to make sure it wasn't the new GeForce3 cadr), and performance was STILL better when the old card was in my pIII 650 machine! I even tried the drivers that came packaged with the GeForce 3 card, to no avail. Hell, I even tried the GeForce3 card on my old PII 450MHz server, and it was STILL faster than the p4!! The ONLY thing I didn’t do is load the Motherboard drivers on the OS, but that was because device manager SAID it identified the new Intel chipsets and hardware on the motherboard.

Did I miss an AGP bus setting of some kind in the BIOS? Do I need to install the drivers that came the ASUS P4T Motherboard, even though Windows Me said it identified everything?

LOL, I guess I should have built an Athlon system….

I am really, really stuck. I have been waiting to build a new system for over 2 years, only to hit this major roadblock. ANY advice from you fine people would be EXTREMELY appreciated.

Thanks for your time everyone.

nephi

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2001
try running the program "dxdiag.exe", to see what it says about your video card, it has some tests to test the directdraw, direct 3d and the AGP, and also see if there are any file damaged.

G

This may sound stupid,butI'm going to say it anyway. Some hardware no matter what the box says is not fully compatablie with other devices. The same is true wirh software and OS's. But just to make sure read the your mobo manual again and see if there is something you skipped. Also call Vision Tech and see if they have any known issues, they may have a solution.

A teacher without peer, yet a student of great discipline.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'd load the motherboard drivers. Get updates from ASUS if necessary. Make sure an AGP driver gets loaded.

It is doubtful that Windows ME, which came out early in 2000, would have the proper drivers for a P4 motherboard and certainly not any updated drivers.

IF YOU CAN, BORROW A COPY OF WINDOWS 98 SE AND FORMAT THE HARDRIVE AND START OVER. INSTALL THE ASUS DRIVERS FIRST IF POSSIBLE, THEN TRY YOUR VIDEO CARD DRIVERS. BETTER STILL, CHECK THE WEBSITE FOR YOUR VIDEO CARD AND SEE IF ANY UPDATED DRIVERS ARE AVAILABLE BEFORE DOING ANYTHING. DOWNLOAD THEM TO A FLOPPY OR CD (IF YOU HAVE A BURNER). GOOD LUCK. LET ME KNOW IF THIS WORKS, BECAUSE I'M THINKING OF BUILDING A PENTIUM 4 SYSTEM. I CURRENTLY HAVE AN ATHLON 1.2 OVERCLOCKED TO 1.33 WITH A CHEAP FIC AD11 BOARD AND DDR MEMORY. IT WORKS GREAT.