CUSL2 power supply problem

hasui

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2001
Hi,

I bought a CUSL2-C and PIII to upgrade my 11/98 DELL PII-450 and am having problems getting any power at all.

This board doesn't have the auxillary 6 plug power wire that I thought was part of the ATX spec.

The main 20 plug connector fits fine but I'm wondering if the Dell power supply somehow requires the use of the auxillary. Can I just put another power supply in or must it be some wattage like >250W to work with this board ?

thanks for your help.

G

Most ATX boards I've seen run with only the 20 pin connector.

From personal experience I would suggest at 250W power supply at least and 300W wouldn't hurt. If you plan on running a more powerful video card like a Geforce2 or Geforce3 go for the extra watts just to give yourself some headroom.

I recently set up Abit's version of the i815 at work (SA6R) and tried to put it in an old Gateway 2000 box that only had a 200W power supply. The thing would start the bootup sequence and shut down during POST. I put the board over in a case with a 250W power supply and it worked like a champ. I'm using the integrated video with that one, so the power requirements aren't that steep.

A scientist will never show any kindness for a theory which he did not start himself. – Mark Twain

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
DON'T USE THE DELL POWER SUPPLY, YOU MAY BLOW THE BOARD! Dell uses their own power supply and it is NOT ATX compatable, even though the case itself is ATX and the power connector is ATX. Dell has their own wiring scheme. Get a new power supply and PRAY that nothing is damaged!

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

hasui

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2001
Followup question: Will this board work with the new ATX 2.01 power supplies and is it a good idea to get one as I have to buy something anyway ?

I see the Enlight 250W EN8254942 is for sale at Page Computer for $23.85.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
2.01 is the right kind to get, this standard is about 3 years old and is used for most motherboards including yours. Enlight makes a good power supply, and that is a good price. 250W is plenty for your system.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine