Biostar M7VKB motherboard issue

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
I recently purchased a system with a Biostar M7VKB motherboard and the computer locks up periodically for no apparent reason. It almost always locks within 45 minutes of booting.

Any suggestions as to what the problem might be?

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
System Specs

AMD Athlon 900
SB Live Value
TNT Riva 32 megs
128 megs RAM
52x CD Rom
20 or 30 gig HD
10/100 NIC

That's the gist of the specs.
I thought it muight be a conflict between the onboard sound and the SB Live, but that wasn't an issue.

Mark-

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
random lockups u say?
when?
in windows, only playing games?
my supa dupa system has a aging tbt2 pro in it... and it runs perfectly stable EXCEPT for accelerated games. so i think my graphics is dying.
if the lockups happen all over the place check the following
1. cpu temp
2. voltage
3. test your ram.
4. PSU reliability

all of the above can cauze random lockups.

My Hamster doesnt like sarcasm. He may very well bite you in your hard to reach places!

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
OK to be more specific.

Sometimes the computer can be idling...and lock

Sometimes I can be running 3 or 4 programs without a lock up then suddenly everything just halts.

Sometimes IE is running and nothing else. Sometimes Outlook Express...sometimes Control Panel.

The computer hasn't been used for gaming.

Mark-

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I thought it muight be a conflict between the onboard sound and the SB Live, but that wasn't an issue.
Did you disable On-board Sound if you use SB Live? It's likely a conflict. Can you change PCI slot for SB to see if it still exists?

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

G

Sounds like a heat issue. When you installed your Thermal Heatsink/Fan on CPU, was there a thrermal pad/grease etc? Does your PowerSupply fan blow air out the back? Does your case fan blow air out the back? Check AMD for a list of CASE specs and cooling solutions for their processors. In a nut shell...

Case with VENTS in front.
Rear EXHAUST fan. (Air flows in the front and out the back like a beautiful breeze carressing your processor.. cheezy I know)
Bottom intake PSU with REAR exhaust.
Approved thermal heatsink/fan for AMD Processor w/ proper thermal grease/pad.

And you can also make sure you are not having IRQ conflict. Check DEVICE MANAGER and see what IRQ's are in use. Sometimes Windows will NOT tell you that you are sharing IRQ's.

Lastly, DISABLE POWERMANAGEMENT in BIOS and in WINDOWS.

Let us know!! :)

Oh yea.. I think there was an issue with SBLIVE and VIA chipset, make sure you have the latest drivers from viatech.com (4n1-4.32), get latest WINME drivers for SBLIVE(10/00) at creative.com <--DON"T INSTALL LIVEWARE 3.0 eeeeeuuuuu.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by AdkisonMJ on 07/03/01 04:16 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Are you using Windows ME? If so that could be the problem. You said that you had only 128MB of RAM. I would not recomend using ME with no less than 180 or 256MB of RAM. Sometimes a system will just lockup when it runs out of addressable memmory space. I have had this happen on a Biostar M7MKE with WinME and 128MB of RAM. I just stuck with Win98SE and later moved to Win2000. I also bought 512MB of more stable RAM. Incompatable or unstable RAM might be another issue.

Good luck.

Tahoma