Acer Founder: Apple is Like a Mutant Virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

phych

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2005
I hope he's wrong. Less competition is never good for consumers and innovation. I'd like to see Android and Linux gain more foothold in the market, but I would still like Apple to be alive and provide competition.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Typical comment from those who are jealous of Apple's success. It's tough being number 1; Apple has a giant target on its back.

crus_russ

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
I used to hate apple, but now I own an iphone, ipod and macbook pro. Really you dont need windows anymore, except for Direct X based games.

The reason I slowly got sucked into apple is because of their extremely high quality build and human interfaces. PCs are akin to bloatware and every app looks and behaves differently. With apple, there is 1 or 2 ways to do something and its simple, clean and fast. Sure sometimes you get stuck because there is something missing (like writing to NFS volumes), but the sheer quality and ease of use of the other 95% has totally kicked pc/microsoft in the butt.

Apple has simply showed people, "there is another way, computers dont need to be complicated".

With the web as the platform these days, the line between PC and Mac is blurring to really be the visual interface and support for certain programs. I am an IT professional and the reasons for needing a PC are rapidly dwindling (note, I run a win7 VM in the background if I need something, but its rare).

volt-aire

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Wow, racists and apple fanboys. I think he makes a good point; closed systems can't compete with open ones in the end, and a single monolithic company's supply chain can't compete with an entire industry (that is competitive within itself). Apple's marketing and presentation vaulted it back into relevance with the iPod, but unless they can keep producing products that have the same premium over competitors that are cheaper and technically superior, they won't last.

It's a shame about American computer hardware as a whole, too. It's a process that's basically already happened, though, it's just that instead of getting components produced by an American company in China you get them from a Chinese company.. in China.

He noted the success of Apple's innovation and creativity through iTunes and the introduction of apps.

I believe that 'app' is short for 'application' which have been available for smartphones and all kinds of computing devices for years before the app store.

kageryu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
[citation][nom]crus_russ[/nom]I used to hate apple, but now I own an iphone, ipod and macbook pro. Really you dont need windows anymore, except for Direct X based games.The reason I slowly got sucked into apple is because of their extremely high quality build and human interfaces. PCs are akin to bloatware and every app looks and behaves differently. With apple, there is 1 or 2 ways to do something and its simple, clean and fast. Sure sometimes you get stuck because there is something missing (like writing to NFS volumes), but the sheer quality and ease of use of the other 95% has totally kicked pc/microsoft in the butt.Apple has simply showed people, "there is another way, computers dont need to be complicated".With the web as the platform these days, the line between PC and Mac is blurring to really be the visual interface and support for certain programs. I am an IT professional and the reasons for needing a PC are rapidly dwindling (note, I run a win7 VM in the background if I need something, but its rare).[/citation]

In other words, you don't need to smart enough to realize that you're paying double for the low quality hardware and you should be happy that there's an interface that even retards can use to...oh wow...I can't even completely make fun of you. That's how sad your statement makes me. This mutant virus must be eliminated!! It's a hazard to human intelligence!

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
I'm sure when people get over novelty and realise they should probably actually get something done... Apple will subside.

Apple is basically tech junk food. (irony)

[citation][nom]crus_russ[/nom]I used to hate apple, but now I own an iphone, ipod and macbook pro. Really you dont need windows anymore, except for Direct X based games.The reason I slowly got sucked into apple is because of their extremely high quality build and human interfaces. PCs are akin to bloatware and every app looks and behaves differently. With apple, there is 1 or 2 ways to do something and its simple, clean and fast. Sure sometimes you get stuck because there is something missing (like writing to NFS volumes), but the sheer quality and ease of use of the other 95% has totally kicked pc/microsoft in the butt.Apple has simply showed people, "there is another way, computers dont need to be complicated".With the web as the platform these days, the line between PC and Mac is blurring to really be the visual interface and support for certain programs. I am an IT professional and the reasons for needing a PC are rapidly dwindling (note, I run a win7 VM in the background if I need something, but its rare).[/citation]

Yea its also called complete and total control. I can't buy Apple due to the fact that they want to tell you what hardware you can or cannot run and what programs you can or cannot run.

Add to that a lovely service called Bonjour that every program installs on PCs to open ports allowing other programs like trojans and viruses to get in it makes me sick to think of Apple.

If Apple ever gets big enough (they are close) it will be like shooting fish in a barrel for viruses. Considering that Ping started with no scam or spam protection and was filled with it, that should show anyone what Apple thinks. They think they are invulnerable.

Then there is the way Steve Jobs basically told customers that they were using a device wrong when it had a obvious hardware flaw. Last time I checked, unless they are die hard fanboys the customer is always right. They should recall all the iPhone 4s and fix the hardware issue.

Bleh. Apple is just bad. People can dance around all they want but Apple is not a people company. They are a "fill my pockets" company.

yyk71200

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Because of fanboism, Apple can get away with profit with such devices as IPad. There are two things that are truly superior about Apple: their marketing (makes you realy think that you cannot live without their products, creates fan-boys, etc.) and the battery live of their MacBooks. Other than that, I am not impressed.

Trashit

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]Typical comment from those who are jealous of Apple's success. It's tough being number 1; Apple has a giant target on its back.[/citation]
Yep you sure know your stuff, cos number 1 companies are often found at the bottom of market share charts....(hope you were being sarcastic)
http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-ww-monthly-200909-201008

No this is just another case of the idiots making more noise than those with common sense who simple ignore Apple and their flock of sheeple.

nightcrawl3r

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Why is everyone hating Apple this much? They have done a great job with their products and some people just won't admit them being really good at what they do.

delta7

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
[citation][nom]thesupermedium[/nom]This coming from a man who made the company that sells cheap stuff quickly and promptly dies with no support. Sounds like a virus to me.[/citation]

Acer has improved their build quality immensely, I bought an acer laptop from them two years and returned it in a week. This year when I was looking for an ultra light notebook I took a chance on them again and I am glad I did. And he's right apple is an anomaly that rides more on form than function, and things will change for them eventually.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009

hmm, interesting, and you no what? I use windows 7, and I DON'T run Mac OSX in the background because I have absolutely NO need to.

braneman

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
Apple is about usability over functionality ,price and lack of programs, Linux is about open source but is hard to use relatively speaking, too many acronymed programs(GTK+, GREP, GRUB, etc..). Windows seems to be about in the middle.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
You guys want a cheap apple product that's more reliable and faster? buy a dell (laptop or desktop doesnt matter) and put debian linux* on it. Done.

*Apple's OS is a hacked version of debian linux as of OSX.

Im not backing up Apple, but anyone who has had dealings with Acer on a larger scale than just a few PC's/laptops would back me up in saying their products overall are cheap crap. They use poor quality components which is the reason they can undercut other manufacturers for price for the same tech. Dealing with them to try to get any warranty support is just as bad. This guy is a hypocrite, acer are somewhat of a virus also.

Status
Not open for further replies.