ECS K7VZA only reporting 16 MB of RAM, help

G

Okay, got a new ECS K7VZA in the mail today, finally. Installed it, set everything up, put in a brand new 256 MB RAM module, got the system up and running...to find it running like it was stuck in the mud. After checking the BIOS, it was only reporting 16 MB of memory...in Windows, it reports that same amount. Thinking it was possibly the module, I put it into another machine I had handy and booted it...and it showed up just fine as 256 MB of RAM. I then used a 64 MB module that I knew works, put it into the K7VZA, booted...to 16 MB of RAM again. Tried putting both the 256 and the 64 modules in; it reports RAM slots 0 and 1 in use, but only 16 MB of RAM installed total. Anyone have any idea what is going on here, or have seen this before? It's the 3.x revision of the board....running a 1.2 GHz Thunderbird (266 MHz FSB) with the motherboard running at 133 MHz (and the RAM is PC 133).

In case anyone wants to know, if you switch the J9 and J10 jumpers to short the opposite ones, then you'll be running at 900 MHz instead of 1.2GHz (in the case of the 266 MHz FSB versions)...tried that too to no avail.

Thanx in advance for any help.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by gch118 on 07/03/01 02:20 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

SEND THE BOARD BACK TO THE VENDOR WITH A NOTE EXPLAINING THE PROBLEM. BE PREPARED TO WAIT 3-4 WEEKS FOR THE NEW ONE. THE VENDOR HAS TO TEST THE OLD BOARD FIRST. I HAD TO CALL SEVERAL TIMES TO GET MY BOARD ON THEIR TESTING SCHEDULE. REMIND THEM THAT YOU ARE A GOOD CUSTOMER. BE POLITE BUT PERSISTANT, AND THEY SHOULD SEND YOU A NEW BOARD.

TRENDING THREADS