velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Hi all, I heard they are making a Guild Wars 2. I have Guild Wars and when I was playing it, i was playing alone. You get computer based characters that you play with and they follow you and help you kill the enemies. But as I gained experience and advanced in levels, the computer characters remained the same. It got to a point where I couldn't kill any enemies cause they got to hard. I needed to find some people to play with who are leveled up. Is there a way around this? I want to be able to complete the game on my own as I don't know any gamers.

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
but will it also be a game that one player can play on his own? I read the Q&A for this game and read this:

"Will Guild Wars 2 be solo-able?
Yes. You will be able to advance your character to the maximum level without ever joining a group if you so desire. Most content will be designed in a solo-friendly way, though often with mechanisms for scaling up in difficulty when more players are involved. This will give players the option to experience the game however they prefer.
At the same time, it is important for an MMO community to join together to overcome challenges. Guild Wars 2 will feature challenges that require players to join forces."

it contradicts itself.

Sambardo

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
I'm assuming gameplay and character leveling will be soloable (pending they scale it right), but anything remotely like a dungeon or raid will not be. I haven't looked much at GW2 specifically, but base don the quote and the majority of MMOs that is what you should expect. I'd find a non-MMO to play if you don't like working with other folks.

Sambardo

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
I played GW1 a long time ago. I remember 2 manning a lot fo the game with my brother, but I believe a lot of it wasn't solable. We stopped after factions (years ago).

I don't recommend any MMO if you don't like playing with people. You will be at a huge disadvantage and miss out on most of the content.

AtomicZ

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011
Don't mean to rain on the party but I believe they cancelled GW2. My daughter put 40bucks down at gamestop last year and has been waiting for it. She said something about them cancelling it a month or 2 ago.
:pfff:

MarkG

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004

Collect together a bunch of heroes and most missions should be soloable. Heros are vastly superior to the normal mercs as you can load them up with your choice of gear and skills.

And there's no indication that GW2 has been cancelled. There's supposed to be a closed Beta sometime this year.

thegame8019

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
With the right build on your toon even the hardest dungeons in a Guild Wars environment are soloable. So far with Guild Wars, and I have have been playing a very long time, If you have the right build you can solo anything.

bionicRod

Distinguished
May 20, 2011

They absolutely have not cancelled it. I saw an update on X-Play just a week or so ago. It's coming out this year or early next, after a long development cycle. They'd probably sooner release it as is than cancel it now when it's very nearly done. And OP, I'd say you're in the wrong genre. That second M in MMORPG means multiplayer. From the description given, sounds like you can do all the quests solo and reach max level. But for raids and dungeons you're going to have to team up. I honestly think I remember hearing that this is going to be a whole other mode of play.

thegame8019

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011

GW2 has not been cancelled go to the website it is to be realeased after the beta that is coming out this year. They have also recently released on the website new content that is going to be in the game.

AcidZealot

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
I know it's been a couple of weeks or so since the last post, but to answer the original question, Guild Wars 1 campaigns are entirely soloable (soloable meaning you are the only player - you still require having NPC allies). However there are features (like dungeons) that have been designed for groups with more than one player.

NPC allies (Mercenaries) are set at different levels in different outposts. As mentioned earlier, Heroes are more powerful. Go to the Nightfall or Eye of the North expansion areas to unlock them.

Guild Wars 2 will also be soloable.

thegame8019

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011

On my sin and rit I can solo without any npc's no heroes or henchies. Just depends on what skill build you use whether or not you need npc's or other players envolved. Most people that farm in the game use no npc's or other players.