Windows cannot open proxyservice.jar

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.apps (More info?)

This is related to software for an HP Laserjet 2300D printer connected
via a parallel cable. It started today.

When I login to Windows XP Home SP2 I get a popup which includes
"Windows cannot open this file:
File: ProxyService.jar".

"Use the Web service to find the appropriate program" yields nothing.
ProxyService.lnk is a startup shortcut. Its target is "C:\Program
Files\Hewlett-Packard\ProxyService\Classes\ProxyService.jar".

Maybe the file association for .JAR has been lost?
If I knew the proper program to open the file,
I could use "Select the program from a list".

The error does not happen if I use MSCONFIG to keep ProxyService from
running at startup, but that is not acceptable for normal use.

I tried restore points from yesterday and the day before.
System Restore said it could not restore anything because nothing had
changed.

How can I repair the system so it starts without the error?
4 answers Last reply
More about windows open proxyservice
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.apps,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

    On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 02:58:10 -0500, Russell May wrote:

    >This is related to software for an HP Laserjet 2300D printer connected
    >via a parallel cable. It started today.
    >
    >When I login to Windows XP Home SP2 I get a popup which includes
    >"Windows cannot open this file:
    >File: ProxyService.jar".
    >
    >"Use the Web service to find the appropriate program" yields nothing.
    >ProxyService.lnk is a startup shortcut. Its target is "C:\Program
    >Files\Hewlett-Packard\ProxyService\Classes\ProxyService.jar".
    >
    >Maybe the file association for .JAR has been lost?
    >If I knew the proper program to open the file,
    >I could use "Select the program from a list".
    >
    >The error does not happen if I use MSCONFIG to keep ProxyService from
    >running at startup, but that is not acceptable for normal use.
    >
    >I tried restore points from yesterday and the day before.
    >System Restore said it could not restore anything because nothing had
    >changed.
    >
    >How can I repair the system so it starts without the error?

    What results do you get from the command: java -version ?

    Aidan Grey
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.apps,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

    On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 11:58:54 -0400 (EDT), "Aidan Grey"
    <apgrey@nospam.con> wrote:

    >On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 02:58:10 -0500, Russell May wrote:
    >
    >>This is related to software for an HP Laserjet 2300D printer connected
    >>via a parallel cable. It started today.
    >>
    >>When I login to Windows XP Home SP2 I get a popup which includes
    >>"Windows cannot open this file:
    >>File: ProxyService.jar".
    >>
    >>"Use the Web service to find the appropriate program" yields nothing.
    >>ProxyService.lnk is a startup shortcut. Its target is "C:\Program
    >>Files\Hewlett-Packard\ProxyService\Classes\ProxyService.jar".
    >>
    >>Maybe the file association for .JAR has been lost?
    >>If I knew the proper program to open the file,
    >>I could use "Select the program from a list".
    >>
    >>The error does not happen if I use MSCONFIG to keep ProxyService from
    >>running at startup, but that is not acceptable for normal use.
    >>
    >>I tried restore points from yesterday and the day before.
    >>System Restore said it could not restore anything because nothing had
    >>changed.
    >>
    >>How can I repair the system so it starts without the error?
    >>

    > What results do you get from the command: java -version ?
    >
    >Aidan Grey

    java version "1.4.1_02"
    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.1_02-b06)

    --------
    One major set of things that I did before this started happening:
    I downloaded, installed, and used UltimateZip 2.7.1 to extract a large
    file from a multi-part RAR archive. I also downloaded, installed, and
    ran Unrar 1.0, but did not extract anything with it. The problem
    appeared on the first and all subsequent reboots of the computer.

    UltimateZip supports JAR archives and many other archive types. The
    first time it runs, UltimateZip asks 'Associate UltimateZip with all
    "Archive files" now?'. I clicked on NO, so it should not have done
    anything to file associations but I am dubious. I uninstalled
    UltimateZip and Unrar but that did not help.

    One thing is sure: There is no file association for JAR types now.

    Russ May
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.apps,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

    Reinstalling the current Java 1.4.1_02 or installing the latest Java 1.5 or
    setting the JAR file association to go with the JRE executable should fix the
    problem... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 12:53:25 -0500, Russell May <russmay@toastNotthis.net>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 11:58:54 -0400 (EDT), "Aidan Grey"
    ><apgrey@nospam.con> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 02:58:10 -0500, Russell May wrote:
    >>
    >>>This is related to software for an HP Laserjet 2300D printer connected
    >>>via a parallel cable. It started today.
    >>>
    >>>When I login to Windows XP Home SP2 I get a popup which includes
    >>>"Windows cannot open this file:
    >>>File: ProxyService.jar".
    >>>
    >>>"Use the Web service to find the appropriate program" yields nothing.
    >>>ProxyService.lnk is a startup shortcut. Its target is "C:\Program
    >>>Files\Hewlett-Packard\ProxyService\Classes\ProxyService.jar".
    >>>
    >>>Maybe the file association for .JAR has been lost?
    >>>If I knew the proper program to open the file,
    >>>I could use "Select the program from a list".
    >>>
    >>>The error does not happen if I use MSCONFIG to keep ProxyService from
    >>>running at startup, but that is not acceptable for normal use.
    >>>
    >>>I tried restore points from yesterday and the day before.
    >>>System Restore said it could not restore anything because nothing had
    >>>changed.
    >>>
    >>>How can I repair the system so it starts without the error?
    >>>

    >> What results do you get from the command: java -version ?
    >>
    >>Aidan Grey
    >>

    >java version "1.4.1_02"
    >Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.1_02-b06)
    >Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.1_02-b06, mixed mode)
    >
    >--------
    >One major set of things that I did before this started happening:
    >I downloaded, installed, and used UltimateZip 2.7.1 to extract a large
    >file from a multi-part RAR archive. I also downloaded, installed, and
    >ran Unrar 1.0, but did not extract anything with it. The problem
    >appeared on the first and all subsequent reboots of the computer.
    >
    >UltimateZip supports JAR archives and many other archive types. The
    >first time it runs, UltimateZip asks 'Associate UltimateZip with all
    >"Archive files" now?'. I clicked on NO, so it should not have done
    >anything to file associations but I am dubious. I uninstalled
    >UltimateZip and Unrar but that did not help.
    >
    >One thing is sure: There is no file association for JAR types now.
    >
    >Russ May

  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.apps,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

    On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 18:43:21 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
    (Ben Myers) wrote:

    >Reinstalling the current Java 1.4.1_02 or installing the latest Java 1.5 or
    >setting the JAR file association to go with the JRE executable should fix the
    >problem... Ben Myers

    Is javaw.exe the correct executable for the JAR file association?
    If not, what?

    Russ May

Hewlett Packard Computers