bh6 upgrade to celeron 800 - confusion

G

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if my bh6 motherboard rev. 1.01 could handle a celeron 800 or 850 (with slotket of course).

Local store has a cel 800 for $130 canadian (toronto) and adapter for $15. the thing thhat confuses me is that the abit faq for the bh6 rev 1.01 says that it will support 700, but will not support coppermine "do not support Coppermine CPUs due to the native design of power for the CPU core voltage probably not being sufficient. So to avoid instability, we advise that the afore mentioned boards do not support Coppermine CPUs."

the bios seems to be able to support low voltages vcore in user define mode.

Here's the confusion....

However they DO support 700 celeron, which i thought is a coppermine cpu?????

currently have
p2 350
abit bh6
256 pc133
promise pci ata 100
gforce 2 mx
sblive value

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The 700 Celeron is indeed a Coppermine. I personally would not want ANY Celeron in my system as they are all poor performers. I put an 850 up against a PIII 700 in my system and it LOST. Plus the PIII overclocks easily to 933/133

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

thanks for the help crashman, much appreciated. I'm glad i can squeeze this mobo for another while - sweet!!!

ya i have the latest bios, thaat i can find anyway, and 133 FSB is supported, but my p2 350 gets too tired at that speed. a FSB of 112 (392mhz) runs super.
i know the celerons kinda suck but i thought for the $$$$ i might go with the el cheapo... locally celeron 800 $90 US dollars and p3 733 $142 US dollars ~50% more (i'm not seeing a listing for 700)

PS any help upgrading my vic 20 to a commodore 64 ? haha