Hmm which mobo should I pick?

I need something stable with ddr capabilities that can hold an Athlon chip. Something that doesn't cost a lot would be an advantage too =P. Must have an AGP slot and a few PCI slots.
ty
5 answers Last reply
More about mobo pick
  1. Your criteria doesn't narrow down the options at all. Which chipset are you thinking of?

Sh!t Happens.
  2. I am looking for several Athlon mobos. First off, I am looking for the best bang for the buck one out there. I am also looking for the best with integrated sound (my guess was the Iwill KK-266). Finally, I am looking for the best with integrated sound AND video, currently available (my guess was the Soltek SL-75MIV, the integrated video motherboard MUST have an AGP slot). I don't really care either way about DDR ram versus SDR ram, but stability and overclocking capability are paramount.

Anybody have opinions on which boards and why? Finally, are there any boards available now with the SiS 735?

*Groovy*
  3. Nope no sis 735 mobo's yet but i'm a waiting. Once on comes out i'm definently snaggling it. I can't wait to get rid of this old FIC SD11 and my darnd slotA athlon.
  4. don't know anything about it, but someone suggested this for me (but i don't want onboard sound/video):
    asus cus4x-v (http://www.asus.com/Products/Motherboard/Pentiumpro/Cuv4x-v/index.html)
  5. Well, I was thinking about getting the K7AMA by Elite Computers. Just because it fit all the criteria I was looking for and was rather cheap in price. But it also uses the Ali Magik, and from what I hear from this site that does not look to be the best choice. Here are its components:

PROCESSORS

AMD® Athlon/Duron (K7) processors
    Full series of Athlon/Duron CPU including the future Athlon processors

CHIPSET

Ali® Magic 1645(NB) & Magic 1535D+(SB) Chipset
    Support AGP 2.0 specification (4X)
    Support PCI 2.2 Specification
    LPC I/O - IT8870F
    SAN: RealTek 8139C
    AC97 Audio Codec
    Compliant with AC97 2.1 specification

MEMORY

2 DDR DIMM Sockets and 2 DIMM sockets support (can not be used simultaneously)
    Two 184-pin 2.5V DDR SDRAM (DDR266/DDR200) or
    Two 168-pin 3.3V SDRAM (PC133/PC100)
    Maximum: 2GB

SYSTEM BIOS

AMI 2MB Flash EEPROM
    Supports Plug and Play 1.0A, AMP 1.2, Multi Boot, DMI
    Support for ACPI revision 1.0 specification

I/O INTERFACE

Supports Plug and Play function
    PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse connectors
    Four USB Ports (Two USB Connectors as header onboard)
    One - EPP/ECP mode parallel port
    Two - 16550 high-speed serial I/O port
    Audio Ports (Line-in, Line-out, Mic-in, CD-in and game port)
    LAN Header
    Supports 360K~2.88M Byte, 3 Mode FDDs
    Dual PCI IDE interfaces - support four IDE devices (PIO mode 4, DMA Mode 2, Ultra DMA 33/66/100)
    ATX Power Supply Connector
    Ports, Headers and Others:
    IrDA Cable header
    Extra USB header
    Front Panel MIC/Line-Out header
    Green, HDD, Power indicator LED headers
    CPU and Case Fan headers
    LAN Card Wake Up / Internal Modem Ring Wake-Up headers

RTC & BATTERY
    M1535D+ included 256 bytes of CMOS
    With CMOS hardware clear jumper

EXPANSION SLOTS

4 PCI slots, 1 AGP slot, 1 AMR slot

FORM FACTOR

ATX (304mm*220mm)

Has anyone heard anything about this board? Would it do the job? Or should I keep looking for something better?
    This board sells for $84 which includes shipping.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards DDR Chip