forgettythatty

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2001
ASUStek A7M-266 DDR Athlon Thunderbird & Duron MB with Toggle 3D Audio
or the
MSI's K7-Master S (MS-6341) from Tom's powerbox, or should I wait for and Nforce or Sis motherboard chipset?

I'm just trying to figure out the best motherboard, but I don't know a whole lot. I go to this site, voodoopc.com, and falcon-nw.com, and see what they offer to find out what is good. Is the powerbox outdated?

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
K7 Master REV 1.1, or the MSI K7T266 Pro-RU. These are the top boards with the two different chipsets. I guess you can look at boards with Ali chipset, but im not too familiar with that chipset.

Crap, all the good ones are already taken.

Sihs

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Wait for the nforce if you can.

If you want to overclock, then k7 master is your thing. If not, Asus boards are usually better than MSI's.

Sh!t Happens.

dan_gao86

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2001
after reading so many posts in this forum, i realised that most experts here recommend mobos with either the Ali Magik 1 Chipset or the AMD 760...
however, most will recommend Ali Magik 1 chipset mobos due to the Via southbridge in AMD 760...

but still, according to Tom's review on Ali Magik 1 mobos <A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboard/01q2/010509/index.html" target="_new">http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboard/01q2/010509/index.html</A>, he wrote the following:
In this test it was quite clear: In making the boards, the manufacturers had two variations to choose from: either stable and weak performance, or high performance combined with unstable operation. We saw this in the test with various BIOS versions, which caused up to a 10 percent difference in overall performance. This is the ALi Magik 1 at a not yet fully mature stage. Often several test candidates crashed during the determination of test results.

thus, i was wondering whether should i get an Ali Magik 1 board, such as the Asus AZA266, or the AMD760 mobo such as the Msi k7 master??
btw, i'll be overclocking the tbird...

I WoNdEr HoW, I WoNdEr WhY, I WoNdEr WhErE ThEy ArE, ThE AMD... We OvErCloCked ToGeThEr, Oh YeAh...

G

Don't pay too much attention to the Via southbridge thing. It isn't really a problem anymore. I'd recommend the K7 Master, I have one and it's a fabulous board, not one lockup or problem yet (and I also have an SB Live! installed).

Falwynn

Sihs

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The only one that can overclock using the multiplier is the K7-master.
Tom's review is a little outdated. The A7A should be really stable now.

Sh!t Happens.