When are the 815EP B0 Boards shipping (TUSL-C,TISU

G

Well, my last Soyo is officially dead. I need a replacement. I ruled out upgrading to an AMD system. I only want to replace the mobo, not the MOBO, proc, and RAM. Thus,

I was just going to replace my board with a Slot1 440BX, but then I notice that the Asus TUSL-C is listed on Asus' page. I figure if I want to leave the avenue open for an upgrade (Tualatin style), maybe I should go for something like the TUSL. At least that way I wouldn't feel like I was throwing away $100. (please don't tell me I'm throwing it away w/ intel, I already know that).

Anyway, just wondering what the schedule is like on the TUSL and other i815 B0 boards (like the Soyo TISU). Price prediction, availability, features? Any news is welcome as well as suggestions. Also, any predictions on whether or not the TUSL will suffer from the same 140MHZ barrier (AGP and CAS) and the cold boot problems?
Thanks much

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Should be out by mid August I'm guessing. BTW, the 140MHz "barier" is there for our "protection", it is a safety factor that can be turned off with a file called stuffPCR.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

Which board looks good right now. I know of
1) ASUS TUSL2-C
2) Soyo SY-TISU
3) Gigabyte GA-60XET
4) Supermicro P3TSSA
5) Abit ST6-RAID

Others? I've heard good things about the Gigabyte board, though I've never owned one before. Soyo has been good to me up until my last board died. I've always liked Asus, but if the TUSL is going to have that same 140Mhz problem and cold boot problem than it's cousin CUSL had, then I don't want it. I've heard very mixed reviews about Abit. It seems you either love them or hate them. Never even seen a Supermicro board. Suggestions?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
As for the 140MHz problem, I have seen similar results on other boards, which leads me to believe that it is in the basic BIOS code for 815 motherboards, not just an Asus thing. But that protection can be turned off with a simple file called "stuffPCR". Anyway, I like my CUSL2 enough that I would probably choose the TUSL2.

G

I've used the StuffPCR .bin file with Win98SE and loading it during the autoexec.bat. The .bin I use takes care of the 140MHZ Cas222 problem, but unless you load it at startup, it won't eliminate the AGP4x problem (at least this is what I've been told). SO how would you go about using this under Win2K?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I loaded it during startup in Autoexec.bat, it did indeed cure the AGP4x issue, as well as the memory timing issue, I used WCPUID and 3DMark 2000 to verify that. At the time it was written, it was suppoed to work in 98SE and NT I believe. So it may or may not work for 2000, I suggest someone in here try it.