dlink wireless networking issues

Firstly, this is how my setup works:-

ADSL MODEM
DLINK wireless router di-624 rev c
External Aerial
External aerial
DLINK access point 2000ap+ in client mode
DLINK wireless router di-624 rev b
My computer finally.

The problem is my computer can see all the devices, log on into their html
settings pages, including the ADSL modem, but i cannot gain access to the
internet.

The 2nd wireless router (rev B) has dhcp disabled, thus leaving my computer
to log on with a static IP set in TCP/IP in windows xp.

How can i gain access to the net?? Please help me,

Thankfully

Stuart
6 answers Last reply
More about dlink wireless networking issues

    Ok, lets give this a try

    Stuart Turrell wrote:
    > Firstly, this is how my setup works:-
    >
    > ADSL MODEM
    ADSL MODEM is a bridge
    #1 Router that *should* nat 192.168.0.something. I don't remember the
    DLink defaults, but it could be something like 192.168.0.227 as its
    addy. ( The dlink uses the IP you get from your ISP for its IP with
    another for the gateway at the ISP -> x.x.x.1 usually.
    > External Aerial
    > External aerial
    > DLINK access point 2000ap+ in client mode
    Is this setup as a BRIDGE?
    #2 Router should get an IP, netmask, gateway, and dns from the #1
    router. You can verify this in the menu setup.
    > My computer finally.
    Your computer should get a different network from #2 router. If it
    doesn't you won't get out. You may have to manually set the routers
    LOCAL IP to something different than the local network of #1 Router (
    use 192.168.100.something. Your computer's gateway addy should point to
    the IP address of #2 Router with the proper netmask.

    Why do you have #2 router by the way? If you are only connecting ONE
    computer, you don't need #2. If you have multiple computers attached to
    #2, disregard that unless the bridge is capable of dealing with multiple
    MAC on the local side. Then you would get the IP addy from #1 router.

    > The problem is my computer can see all the devices, log on into their html
    > settings pages, including the ADSL modem, but i cannot gain access to the
    > internet.
    Usually a DSL modem is a bridge. Are you sure that it isn't a
    Bridge/Router combo? In this neck of the woods, verizone ships Routers
    ( most of the time ), and usually they work out of the box with no user
    intervention.

    > The 2nd wireless router (rev B) has dhcp disabled, thus leaving my computer
    > to log on with a static IP set in TCP/IP in windows xp.
    If you can only bride ONE MAC, you do need the router portion; use DHCP
    as it works. In this case, you need to make sure that both routers are
    not NAT'n the same networks. This setup *should* work as long as
    everybody is pointing to the correct upsteam addys. I am not totally
    familiar with these specific DLinks, so grant me some leeway. For
    instance, lets assume that you ISP's gateway is 102.81.100.1/24 then:

    dsl modem bridges #1 router dhcp wan address from ISP

    #1 router wan ip -> 102.81.100.152 with 102.81.100.1 as the gw
    #1 router lan ip -> 192.168.0.227/24
    #1 router dhcp could be 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.11
    #1 router gets dns from ISP and could be 102.81.100.2

    DLINK 2000AP bridges #2 dhcp wan address ( from #1 router.

    #2 router wan ip is 192.168.0.11 with 192.168.0.227 as the gw
    #2 router lan ip is 192.168.100.227/24
    #2 router dhcp could be 192.168.100.1 to 192.168.100.11
    #2 router gets dns from #1 router -> 192.168.0.227

    Computer gets dhcp addy from #2 -> say 192.168.100.11 along with
    192.168.100.227 as the gateway and 192.168.100.227 as dns.

    > How can i gain access to the net?? Please help me,
    You should be able to ping both sides of each router, along with the ISP
    gateway ( and the rest of the Internet ) with this setup. Confused?
    Using non-routable addys gives you lots of leeway as you don't have to
    break up a class C into subnets. Routing is pretty easy as long as you
    follow some simple rules.
    1. each network must be unique
    2. each network has a default gateway
    3. you can't reuse a network later down the line.

    > Thankfully
    >
    > Stuart
    todh

    Stuart Turrell wrote:
    > Firstly, this is how my setup works:-
    >
    > ADSL MODEM
    > DLINK wireless router di-624 rev c
    > External Aerial
    > External aerial
    > DLINK access point 2000ap+ in client mode
    > DLINK wireless router di-624 rev b
    > My computer finally.
    >
    > The problem is my computer can see all the devices, log on into their html
    > settings pages, including the ADSL modem, but i cannot gain access to the
    > internet.
    >
    > The 2nd wireless router (rev B) has dhcp disabled, thus leaving my computer
    > to log on with a static IP set in TCP/IP in windows xp.
    >
    > How can i gain access to the net?? Please help me,
    >
    > Thankfully
    >
    > Stuart

    Is MAC address filtering enabled and possibly keeping your computer from
    having access? Would placing the AP in bridge mode be better?

    I need more than the 1 computer connected to router 2, a laptop and pocket
    pc.

    Would it help if i moved the access point over in building 2 so a ethernet
    cable is fed to that from router 1, so the external aerial connects straight
    to the back of that?? then to router 2????

    Stuart Turrell wrote:
    > I need more than the 1 computer connected to router 2, a laptop and pocket
    > pc.
    Ok so you need that #2 router

    > Would it help if i moved the access point over in building 2 so a ethernet
    > cable is fed to that from router 1, so the external aerial connects straight
    > to the back of that?? then to router 2????
    If you can 'see' the #1 router and the modem, the network looks like it
    is working, but not quite configured correctly.

    Are you setup as below -> maybe different numbers than mine?

> [...]
    >>
    >>#2 router wan ip is 192.168.0.11 with 192.168.0.227 as the gw
    >>#2 router lan ip is 192.168.100.227/24
    >>#2 router dhcp could be 192.168.100.1 to 192.168.100.11
    >>#2 router gets dns from #1 router -> 192.168.0.227
    >>
    >>Computer gets dhcp addy from #2 -> say 192.168.100.11 along with
    >>192.168.100.227 as the gateway and 192.168.100.227 as dns.
    >>
    >>>How can i gain access to the net?? Please help me,
    >>
    >>You should be able to ping both sides of each router, along with the ISP
    >>gateway ( and the rest of the Internet ) with this setup. Confused? Using
    >>non-routable addys gives you lots of leeway as you don't have to break up
    >>a class C into subnets. Routing is pretty easy as long as you follow some
    >>simple rules.
    >>1. each network must be unique
    >>2. each network has a default gateway
    >>3. you can't reuse a network later down the line.

    what's the model number of your dlink 2000 ? dwl-2000AP+ ??
    and is it plugged into a LAN port on that di624b

    "Stuart Turrell" <stuartturrell@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Firstly, this is how my setup works:-
    >
    > ADSL MODEM
    > DLINK wireless router di-624 rev c
    > External Aerial
    > External aerial
    > DLINK access point 2000ap+ in client mode
    > DLINK wireless router di-624 rev b
    > My computer finally.
    >
    > The problem is my computer can see all the devices, log on into their html
    > settings pages, including the ADSL modem, but i cannot gain access to the
    > internet.
    >
    > The 2nd wireless router (rev B) has dhcp disabled, thus leaving my
    computer
    > to log on with a static IP set in TCP/IP in windows xp.
    >
    > How can i gain access to the net?? Please help me,
    >
    > Thankfully
    >
    > Stuart

    yes its the dwl-2000AP+ and yes, plugged into lan port 1 on the router B.

    "bumtracks" <posted@usenet.bud> wrote in message
    > what's the model number of your dlink 2000 ? dwl-2000AP+ ??
    > and is it plugged into a LAN port on that di624b
    >
    > "Stuart Turrell" <stuartturrell@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Firstly, this is how my setup works:-
    >>
    >> ADSL MODEM
    >> DLINK wireless router di-624 rev c
    >> External Aerial
    >> External aerial
    >> DLINK access point 2000ap+ in client mode
    >> DLINK wireless router di-624 rev b
    >> My computer finally.
    >>
    >> The problem is my computer can see all the devices, log on into their
    >> html
    >> settings pages, including the ADSL modem, but i cannot gain access to the
    >> internet.
    >>
    >> The 2nd wireless router (rev B) has dhcp disabled, thus leaving my
    > computer
    >> to log on with a static IP set in TCP/IP in windows xp.
    >>
    >> How can i gain access to the net?? Please help me,
    >>
    >> Thankfully
    >>
    >> Stuart

Wireless Router Wireless D-Link Wireless Networking