Sign in with
Your question

Will next-gen consoles be able to play Crysis?

Last response: in Video Games
July 28, 2011 2:21:21 AM

The graphics engine of Crysis was so insanely demanding, that the hardware on the Playstation 3 and XBOX 360 was completely unable to run it. Do you think the hardware on the next generation of consoles will be able to run Crysis on perhaps medium/high settings at a decent resolution? People who played Crysis 2 whom did not own gaming PC's might be confused about how the storyline of Crysis 2 connects with the first game. So perhaps Crysis will be re-released for the next-gen consoles.

Please note that the CryEngine 2 is still the ultimate nemesis of graphics cards.
July 28, 2011 3:31:09 AM

I don't see why not. Every new console generation amps up the power inside the machine and next gen shouldn't be any different. Crysis 2 had horrible frame rates on the consoles and that was only on medium settings.
July 28, 2011 3:52:54 AM

foshi13 said:
I don't see why not. Every new console generation amps up the power inside the machine and next gen shouldn't be any different. Crysis 2 had horrible frame rates on the consoles and that was only on medium settings.

I heard a rumor that the next generation of consoles will have hardware in them which is significantly faster than a $5,000 monster gaming rig with 3-4 enthusiast GPU's in SLI/CFX

So Crysis (even on it's highest settings) would probably only use about 20% of the new consoles true potential.
Related resources
July 28, 2011 4:08:51 AM

It seems to me that every console generation is right in line with the mainstream PC gaming rigs of the time so I expect 1.5gb or 2gb graphic cards with a quad core processor at 3.5ghz or higher. Quality of the games will be dependent upon the developers modifying and adjusting the game engines accordingly.
July 28, 2011 4:20:18 AM

foshi13 said:
It seems to me that every console generation is right in line with the mainstream PC gaming rigs of the time so I expect 1.5gb or 2gb graphic cards with a quad core processor at 3.5ghz or higher. Quality of the games will be dependent upon the developers modifying and adjusting the game engines accordingly.

Might I say that the GPU in the next-gen consoles will have the performance of let's say a GTX 285 or HD 4870?
July 28, 2011 4:33:01 AM

ambam said:
I heard a rumor that the next generation of consoles will have hardware in them which is significantly faster than a $5,000 monster gaming rig with 3-4 enthusiast GPU's in SLI/CFX

So Crysis (even on it's highest settings) would probably only use about 20% of the new consoles true potential.

well arent you gullible

i would hope that they have something of the 6850 range as those a relatively cheap with good performance
July 28, 2011 5:26:48 AM

Thats easy, the story line does not connect at all. Where the hell was anyone from the first game? besides prophet who who commits suicide... At the end of crysis, they learn how to destroy the aliens, which was completely ignored in crysis 2. Crysis 2 is actually the first game in a new console crysis franchise. Whereas crysis is a totally different game...imo

thus being no reason to release crysis for consoles, for the purpose you state anyway.
July 28, 2011 5:30:48 AM

ambam said:

Putting trolls everywhere to shame...
July 28, 2011 7:20:55 AM

Yes....because Crysis is destined to be a port from console until kingdom come.
July 28, 2011 4:16:40 PM

Yeah, next gen consoles will be able to run Crysis and games similar like it, i.e if the developers port it right.
!