Everything on IRQ 9 - Help !

hmg57

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2001
Hi,

I've recently formatted my system to upgrade from Windows ME to Windows 2000. Everyting was going fine until I decided to install the cards I had previously removed. Now my video card, my modem, my netword card, my sound card and my IDE controller all works under IRQ 9. I tried to use a different slot for some devices but it didn't correct my problem. So I uninstalled everything and assigned specific IRQ to slot 3 with BIOS (to see if it would change something), reinstalled my sound card and booted. Well, guess what, that fu**ing sound card went back on IRQ 9. My question is: "How can you manually assign IRQ ?"

First time, I installed the cards where they were under ME but it didn't work so here's how I'm setup right now. My NIC is in slot 1, my sound card in 3 and my modem in 5. Vid card AGP. Everything on IRQ 9. Can someone give me a link for IRQ sharing between the different PCI slots and which IRQ are available.

I am planning to format again tonight but to let all my cards in to see what will the IRQ assignation look like.

Any suggestions is welcome

BTW, how is DMA managed under Win2k and how can you disable programs on startup (msconfig under 98) ?

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear, Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair...

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Do a search in this forum for "ACPI" which is what is enabling you to run everything on 1 IRQ.

Is your system stable? If so there is no problem using ACPI IRQ sharing. Mine runs fine that way. Only if you've got problems and you've ruled out most everything else should you have to resort to disabling ACPI.

IMHO, of course. YMMV.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

G

What exactly is your problem? I mean, what doesn't work and what does? Does taking you sound card out of the system fix everything? If it does, go to your bios IRQ settings and for IRQ 5, enable Reserved for Legacy device. This will tell your 16 bit sound driver to use IRQ 5 and it will most likely solve your problem. This will only work, however, if taking the sound card out of the system solves everything. If not, then I will need more info on what exactly does and doesn't work to solve your problem.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I think he's just saying the "problem" is the IRQ sharing. When in fact there may be no other problem other than that (which isn't really a problem). We shall see.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

hmg57

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2001
Device Manager doesn't report any conflict. I simply didn't understand why all my devices were on the same IRQ but now that I know what is ACPI, all my problems are solved. I will run a few benchmarks tonight to make sure that everything is fine (I'm not home right now)

Sorry for asking the same question again, I should have searched the boards before posting

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear, Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair...