VZW Pre-pay question

zhi

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2004

Hi,

I'm strongly considering getting VZW pre-pay service with the LG VX3200. I
live in DC. Does anyone have experience with that particular phone model or
the service in the Washington Metropolitan area? (I noticed the coverage
area is different with the pre-pay and the postpay plans). How does that
affect its quality? Same network? (Or does it share it w/ tracfone?) Any
opinions on this or prepay service in general are welcomed as well. Thanks.

Zhi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm strongly considering getting VZW pre-pay service with the LG VX3200.
> live in DC. Does anyone have experience with that particular phone model
> or the service in the Washington Metropolitan area? (I noticed the
> coverage
> area is different with the pre-pay and the postpay plans). How does that
> affect its quality? Same network? (Or does it share it w/ tracfone?) Any
> opinions on this or prepay service in general are welcomed as well.
> Thanks.

The VZW prepay service uses Verizon's network only. The postpay plans--
specifically America's Choice-- use a mix of Verizon network and certain
partner networks to accomplish the larger coverage area. There is a
"Coverage Locator" tool at www.verizonwireless.com which will allow you to
take a somewhat more detailed look at the coverage in your area.

I can only tell you about the Virginia and DC side of things in your area.
DC coverage will be the same with either prepay or postpay, as it's 100%
Verizon Wireless. If you spend any time in Virginia, your coverage will be
the same pretty much everywhere along and east of I-95. West of I-95 is a
different story, as much of that area, including Culpeper, Charlottesville,
Farmville, etc., receives its America's Choice coverage through roaming
agreements with US Cellular and Alltel.

VZW's prepay service is a pretty good value as far as prepaid services go,
provided that you can get the coverage you need out of it. If you
frequently travel to areas that aren't covered by VZW prepay, while it's
usually still possible to use your phone, you'll be paying $0.99 per minute
for those calls. Ouch.

Steve

Mike

Splendid

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 05:49:03 GMT, Steve Crow
<scrow_antispam_@stevecrow.net> wrote:

>The VZW prepay service uses Verizon's network only. The postpay plans--
>specifically America's Choice-- use a mix of Verizon network and certain
>partner networks to accomplish the larger coverage area.

This is not technically correct, as you note even later in this
message.

The prepay plans have the same coverage area as the postpaid plans
with America's Choice. You can use the prepay phone anywhere VZW has
a roaming agreement, so it's not inoperative outside the VZW network.

The difference, as you noted later, is that areas outside the VZW
network are charged a 99c/min. roaming fee for prepay customers,
including areas that'd be included in America's Choice for those
postpaid customers.

Now, whether you consider a nearly a dollar a minute fee to make the
phone basically not worth using outside VZW's network is another
matter. ;)

Mike