App Install Locations

ArmoredKingyo

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
So I just broke down and upgraded my Windows 7 machine to Windows 8. I have a 160 GB SSD that I use for my OS, games, and my must-be-quick programs. Other then that I install everything else on my traditional HDD which has a much greater capacity. However, I cannot seem to find out how to change the default location of the apps in the Metro section of 8. I found the folder in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps and gave my account access to them, but I cannot seem to move them. I tried using Steam Mover which has worked in similar situations before with no luck and I don't see anywhere in the settings to change the location. A google search showed me that there may be a way by changing the Registry, but that it was unverified and a try at your own risk situation. Anyone know how to change this?

ArmoredKingyo

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
Yeah it really seems like its not something thats going to happen. Perhaps some third-party program will come out to fix this but not now :( I'll update the original post if I find something though.

@The_Prophecy That is true though. Hopefully the apps are few enough and small enough for me that it doesn't matter.

ArmoredKingyo

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012

Don't get me wrong I think that the UI of the "Metro" part of Windows 8 looks nice but they still need to remember that power users need power options. I want to be able to do something like this and if it can be done in Windows 7, it should be able to be done in Windows 8. Simplifying the OS is fine as long as you only streamline it at the surface while leaving customization options for those who need it. I agree that Linux may be the last safe haven for us power users. I just like Windows so much I wish they could strike the balance between simple and capable. Here's to hoping.

majestic1805

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
Here's what I do with multiple HDD setups:

1) Update the registry changing existing paths to the new anticipated path.
1a) I also update default installer paths. You can google the key locations for default paths.
2) Create the high level folder on the destination drive such as D:\Program Files and D:\Program Files (x86).
3) Reboot the machine using the OS disc to open a command prompt and xcopy everything from C: to the new drive. Take care to copy file attributes, ACLs, turn on large file copy mode etc.
3a) Put on sunglasses and watch the files xfer. I love rolling DOS prompts. I get a nerdgasm over it every time.

Suggested step: You should probably do a global find/replace in files referring to those old locations before you do step 3. There are a couple utilities that can assist with this though examples escape me atm. However, this will address locations that are referenced via .ini files and the like.

Doing the above I separate the user profile on a separate disk and applications to yet another disk. The only thing preventing this is if these paths are hardcoded by OS drivers and the like. If you try this, and it should go without saying, but backup your HDD before doing any of the above.

voiidwulf

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012

I also enjoy watching Command Prompt/DOS do stuff. The quick moving text and the scroll bar slowly shrinking.

ArmoredKingyo

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012

I will give that a go and see how it works.