Router on and off?

My DSL modem and router both had instructions to leave them on for
at least a couple of weeks after initial set-up. After that period
passed, I started turning off my DSL modem when I'm asleep (it makes a
faint buzzing that annoys) or away from home. Can this cause any
problems?
Emanuel
--
1983 Porsche 911 Guards Red/Black
1983 Porsche 944 Guards Red/Black

    "E Brown" <epbrown01@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > My DSL modem and router both had instructions to leave them on for
    > at least a couple of weeks after initial set-up. After that period
    > passed, I started turning off my DSL modem when I'm asleep (it makes
    > faint buzzing that annoys) or away from home. Can this cause any
    > problems?
    > Emanuel
    > --
    > 1983 Porsche 911 Guards Red/Black
    > 1983 Porsche 944 Guards Red/Black
    > 1983 Porsche 928 Guards Red/Black

    Its probably OK to do that, but most electronic failures occur at the
    point of powering up...
    during the initial power surge.
    I do the same with my AP when not using wireless. I wouldnt lose any
    sleep over it
    so I would turn it off.

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 17:51:28 GMT, E Brown <epbrown01@worldnet.att.net>
    wrote:

    > My DSL modem and router both had instructions to leave them on for
    >at least a couple of weeks after initial set-up. After that period
    >passed, I started turning off my DSL modem when I'm asleep (it makes a
    >faint buzzing that annoys) or away from home. Can this cause any
    >problems?
    > Emanuel

    No problems. You must have SBC/Ameritech/AT&T DSL. The reason they
    want you to leave the modem on for 10 days is that they test the
    performance and reliability of the line and modem during this period.
    If there's a problem, they slow down the speed (throttle) the
    connection speed until the error rate is reasonable. If you turn off
    the modem during this test period, there's a good chance that the
    software will decided that you have a flakey line and therefore
    unworthy of getting the full speed that you're paying for. This why
    SBC advertises a range of download speeds instead of a single speed.
    After 10 days, do whatever you want as they don't retest.
    Incidentally, the faint buzz from your unspecified DSL modem or
    unspecified router is coming from the switching power supply coil or
    transformer. This is a known problem with some models (I forgot
    which).
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/hissing.htm

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.internet.wireless/browse_thread/thread/8b8c600e6e752116/cd670ec344349d02?q=buzzing+sound+group:alt.internet.wireless&_done=%2Fgroups%3Fas_q%3Dbuzzing+sound%26num%3D10%26scoring%3Dr%26hl%3Den%26ie%3DUTF-8%26as_epq%3D%26as_oq%3D%26as_eq%3D%26as_ugroup%3Dalt.internet.wireless%26as_usubject%3D%26as_uauthors%3D%26as_drrb%3Dq%26as_qdr%3D%26as_mind%3D1%26as_minm%3D1%26as_miny%3D1981%26as_maxd%3D12%26as_maxm%3D12%26as_maxy%3D2004%26safe%3Doff%26&_doneTitle=Back+to+Search&&d#cd670ec344349d02

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    In news:cqvor0hklh4kjopn0f07q1cdtk72t2upul@4ax.com E Brown
    <epbrown01@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

    > My DSL modem and router both had instructions to leave them on for
    > at least a couple of weeks after initial set-up.

    Gee ... never heard of that before.

    > After that period passed, I started turning off my DSL modem when I'm
    > asleep (it makes a faint buzzing that annoys) or away from home. Can
    > this cause any problems

    I always turn mine off when I'm not using it. I did this with my old Cisco
    675 & 678 and my current Actiontec GT701.

    During the summer, I not only turn it off, I unplug it both from the
    power supply and the phone jack to avoid damage from lightning.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN bert@visi.com

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 15:43:18 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
    <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:

    >No problems. You must have SBC/Ameritech/AT&T DSL. The reason they
    >want you to leave the modem on for 10 days is that they test the
    >performance and reliability of the line and modem during this period.

    Thanks, I do have SBC. I've got some old modem, from the look of
    it, but don't recall the model. If I didn't already have the D-Link,
    I'd buy a 2nd-hand wifi modem - I seem them around for $80 or so now.
    My current set-up works and if it ain't broke...
    Emanuel
    --
    1983 Porsche 911 Guards Red/Black
    1983 Porsche 944 Guards Red/Black
    1983 Porsche 928 Guards Red/Black

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 15:43:18 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
    <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:

    >On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 17:51:28 GMT, E Brown <epbrown01@worldnet.att.net>
    >wrote:
    >
    >> My DSL modem and router both had instructions to leave them on for
    >>at least a couple of weeks after initial set-up. After that period
    >>passed, I started turning off my DSL modem when I'm asleep (it makes a
    >>faint buzzing that annoys) or away from home. Can this cause any
    >>problems?
    >> Emanuel
    >
    >No problems. You must have SBC/Ameritech/AT&T DSL. The reason they
    >want you to leave the modem on for 10 days is that they test the
    >performance and reliability of the line and modem during this period.
    >If there's a problem, they slow down the speed (throttle) the
    >connection speed until the error rate is reasonable. If you turn off
    >the modem during this test period, there's a good chance that the
    >software will decided that you have a flakey line and therefore
    >unworthy of getting the full speed that you're paying for. This why
    >SBC advertises a range of download speeds instead of a single speed.
    >After 10 days, do whatever you want as they don't retest.
    >Incidentally, the faint buzz from your unspecified DSL modem or
    >unspecified router is coming from the switching power supply coil or
    >transformer. This is a known problem with some models (I forgot
    >which).
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/hissing.htm
    >
    >http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.internet.wireless/browse_thread/thread/8b8c600e6e752116/cd670ec344349d02?q=buzzing+sound+group:alt.internet.wireless&_done=%2Fgroups%3Fas_q%3Dbuzzing+sound%26num%3D10%26scoring%3Dr%26hl%3Den%26ie%3DUTF-8%26as_epq%3D%26as_oq%3D%26as_eq%3D%26as_ugroup%3Dalt.internet.wireless%26as_usubject%3D%26as_uauthors%3D%26as_drrb%3Dq%26as_qdr%3D%26as_mind%3D1%26as_minm%3D1%26as_miny%3D1981%26as_maxd%3D12%26as_maxm%3D12%26as_maxy%3D2004%26safe%3Doff%26&_doneTitle=Back+to+Search&&d#cd670ec344349d02

    I love seeing guys who appear to know of what they speak. I'll keep
    you in mind:)

    On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 07:53:04 GMT, E Brown <epbrown01@worldnet.att.net>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 15:43:18 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
    ><jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:
    >>No problems. You must have SBC/Ameritech/AT&T DSL. The reason they
    >>want you to leave the modem on for 10 days is that they test the
    >>performance and reliability of the line and modem during this period.

    > Thanks, I do have SBC. I've got some old modem, from the look of
    >it, but don't recall the model. If I didn't already have the D-Link,
    >I'd buy a 2nd-hand wifi modem - I seem them around for $80 or so now.
    >My current set-up works and if it ain't broke...
    > Emanuel

    SBC didn't start using the messy red "10 day" sticker until about 2
    years ago when they switched from Alcatel to Efficient modems. It's
    probably an Efficient 5100B which is not ancient, works quite nicely,
    but is somewhat crippled in diagnostics.

    I would strongly suggest you *NOT* purchase an all in one box (DSL
    modem, router, and wireless). Each box wants to be located somewhere
    else. The DSL modem wants to live near the demarc (MPOE) to keep the
    interior wiring to a minimum. The router wants to live on the floor
    where all the CAT5 wires come together. The wireless wants to live up
    high on a bookshelf for better coverage. Seperate boxes also allow
    you some versatility in replacing parts and pieces, such as adding a
    VPN terminating router, latest wireless standards (802.11i), or
    switching from DSL to cable. Were it an all in one box, you would
    need to toss everything and start over. Also, seperate boxes are
    easier to troubleshoot by replacement when something goes wrong, goes
    wrong, goes wrong, goes wrong, goes wrong...

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 08:19:35 GMT, avalanche
    <bradleesnow@scratchyahoothis.com> wrote:

    >I love seeing guys who appear to know of what they speak. I'll keep
    >you in mind:)

    Please don't do that. That usually results in email where I get to
    solve someones individual problems. To retain what's left of my
    sanity and support my decadent and lavish lifestyle, I treat personal
    email as consulting and charge for my guesswork. If you want it free,
    post your questions or problems on usenet, where everyone can learn
    from the exchange, and where others can catch my screwups and offer
    better solutions. If you want it via email, be prepared to pay my
    exhorbitant consulting rates.

    --
    Rey Barry

Routers DSL Modem Wireless Networking Product