A7A optimization help

G

Hello everyone first post and pretty new to the whole scene. In feburary my friend and I put together my system and I have had pretty good luck with it but would just like some incite and pointers to really optimize my system. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Asus A7A 266 mobo
1.2 gig athlon
384mb pc2100
bios version 1002B
Sound Blaster live x-gamer 5.1
Radeon 64DDR
52x cd-rom
10 x 12 x 32 tdk cd-rw
extra case fan
win 98se
asdl

I have had a couple problems but nothing life threating i don't think. First if I turn the power switch off in the back or power goes out in my house my bios goes back to default. Another problem is I'd say 1 out of 10 startups when the screen goes blue just before my desktop would come up it freezes and I get a green line across the top of the screen. Other than those things not much else really goes wrong since day 1 when it took all day to get the system running it kept locking up in the bios and we would have to reset the cmos over and over and it would not recognize my hard drive, but once we got the os on there it's been pretty smooth sailing and I am very happy with the board.

"On a long enough timeline everyone's life expectancy drops to zero!"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by doublechecker10 on 07/06/01 05:57 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

I have the same motherboard. I would suggest you upgrade the bios to 1004 (the latest) If you go to the Asus Site they have downloads and instructions. Another thing I learned from these message boards is that if you have a Radeon board it might be a problem with this motherboard. Set your bios to (no) for plug and play, and reserve IRQ 5 if your sound blaster needs it.

Good luck

agpport

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2001
Get BIOS 1004.
Set HD typical role to "network server" in windows.
Use Tweaky (sorry I haven´t got the URL but it´s a really nifty little program) to stop windows from doing annoying things.