Problems Running ES1: Arena

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

Hi,

I'm trying to run Arena using DOSBox but all I get is a black screen when I
run the executable. The readme file says the sound settings might be off,
but the DOSBox settings match and I've even tried selecting no sound or
music and it still hangs. I've tried this on two PCs, what am I doing
wrong?

Thanks,
Empyrea

Empyrea wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to run Arena using DOSBox but all I get is a black screen when I
> run the executable. The readme file says the sound settings might be off,
> but the DOSBox settings match and I've even tried selecting no sound or
> music and it still hangs. I've tried this on two PCs, what am I doing
> wrong?
>
> Thanks,
> Empyrea

What OS are you using? It took me awhile to get this to run at all
under XP. You might want to use the Google archives of this newsgroup
to find more information on the programs and settings needed to get this
to work.

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

> What OS are you using? It took me awhile to get this to run at all under
> XP. You might want to use the Google archives of this newsgroup to find
> more information on the programs and settings needed to get this to work.

I tried it using DOSBox in Windows 98 and Windows XP. Same results.

Empyrea

Empyrea wrote:

>>What OS are you using? It took me awhile to get this to run at all under
>>XP. You might want to use the Google archives of this newsgroup to find
>>more information on the programs and settings needed to get this to work.
>

> I tried it using DOSBox in Windows 98 and Windows XP. Same results.
>
> Empyrea

You shouldn't need to do anything special to get it to run under Windows
98 other than the PIF settings to give it enough memory. I will try to
install it again under Windows 98 later this evening to see what I had
to do. I know it didn't require any special program like DOSBox.

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

> You shouldn't need to do anything special to get it to run under Windows
> 98 other than the PIF settings to give it enough memory. I will try to
> install it again under Windows 98 later this evening to see what I had to
> do. I know it didn't require any special program like DOSBox.

OMG, I'm so used to using DOSBox for older games that I never tried this
through straight Windows 98. I just tried it and it works like a charm.
Thanks for waking me up. : )

Empyrea

Empyrea wrote:

>>You shouldn't need to do anything special to get it to run under Windows
>>98 other than the PIF settings to give it enough memory. I will try to
>>install it again under Windows 98 later this evening to see what I had to
>>do. I know it didn't require any special program like DOSBox.
>

> OMG, I'm so used to using DOSBox for older games that I never tried this
> through straight Windows 98. I just tried it and it works like a charm.
> Thanks for waking me up. : )
>
> Empyrea

I'm glad it was an easy fix. Since I ran the game when it first came
out I never had to use the DOSBox program or the others that are
required to run it under Windows XP. The big difference was I then ran
the game on a 486-66. Talk about painful compared to running it on more
powerful PCs.