amd vs pentium in india

G

hi guys,
i am about to buy a pc. i want to know how amd compares with pentium.specifically,:
1. if i buy a duron 800 mhz processor,what motherboard should i buy? and how will it compare with a celeron/p3?
2. what is the support system of amd in india?

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well, so Indians have started posting here!

a duron works almost at par with a P3 of similar MHz. dont even compare it with Celeron. basically Celerons and P3s are popular in India due to single reason - cost. the 810 makes these systems too cheap, both on cost and performance.

i have a duron 600, with a crappy Luckystar KT133 board (the only one I could get back in last october), 128 MB PC133 RAM, and a Diamond Viper TNT128 card. its a very lowly system which i am looking forward to upgrade.

i am planning to get a Asus A7A266 ALi Magik chipset based motherboard with some 128 MB PC133 SDRAM (might upgrade to DDR sometime in future, the board supports both) and a Tbird 1.0/1.2 GHz (or i might even get a 850 and o/c it to 1G, in favour of a GeForceMX card).

I would suggest you the same board, which has just recently debuted in India alongwith a Athlon 1.0GHz or higher.

as for support for AMD systems in India, i havent had any problem since I myself sell PCs and do the maintainance. i have a K6-II 350 for last two years, then the Duron and a Athlon. In fact, I dont have a single Intel system of my own in my office although I do sell a lot of them away.

I dont think there would be any problems with support in India since there is not too much difference in Intel or AMD systems, software wise. As for hardware, you dont get AMD boxed processors here, but the tray parts do carry a standard 1 yr warranty and till date I did not have a single problem with that.

If you are in Pune or nearabouts i might be able to help you.

Jai Hind!
girish

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>

G

i agree.

dont go for a cheap and bad motherboard, get a good one like the Asus or Gigabyte board.