Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte GA-7dx PROBLEM

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 8, 2001 9:28:02 PM

I just bought a Gigabyte mobo GA-7dx, have Athlon 1.4 Gig chip, IBM 40 mb ATA 100 HD, 512MB DDR PC2100 memory. For some reason I can't format/partition my HD with the IBM disk mangaer software ver 9.55. It acts like it won't read my floppy. If I hook my Abit board up to the above things, it will read it just fine.

The older version of the bios is on the board, when I try to flash the bios from a boot disk, it gives me a corruption error.

Can anyone give me some insight on this. Is the mb bad, is the bios bad ???

I know that my floppy, HD all work fine because I can use them with the ABIT KT7A-RAID board without any problems.

Thanks for the help.

Sultar 7

More about : gigabyte 7dx problem

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 8, 2001 10:50:40 PM

Try using the fdisk and format commands on your windows CD. Set your CD to be the boot device in your BIOS then when the it gives you the option to install windows or boot with CD support, choose the latter. Now you have access to the CD which contains format and fdisk. These will do as much as IBMs disk manager (had you bought OEM, you wouldn't even have the IBM disk manager).
I assumed you're installing windows, but even if your doing Linux you can setup the disk from within the installation program.

(BTW, when you tried to boot to the IBM floppy, you did have the floppy set as the first boot device in BIOS, right?)

That's what you get for buying your computer based on <font color=orange>color</font color=orange>. :redface:
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 9, 2001 12:38:56 AM

Thanks for the reply. Yes, my floppy is the first boot device. I have win98, I don't think it has the boot function from the cd like 2000 does. I can't even get my Win 98 boot diskette to run. ;(

Sultar7
Related resources
July 9, 2001 11:16:13 AM

Your post is a little ambiguous. The basic question I have is, can you boot at all from your floppy? Also, what does the light do on the floppy drive? Is it perhaps on all the time?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 9, 2001 8:21:09 PM

Yeah, If the light is on all the time the floppy cable is connected wrong. Make sure you have it plugged in correctly. This would be the most likely case.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 14, 2001 9:04:46 PM

BTW, if your CD drive supports it (and if it was made in the last 3 or 4 years it does) then, yes the Windows 98 CD is bootable.

That's what you get for buying your computer based on <font color=orange>color</font color=orange>. :redface:
!