antenna for 7135?

joel

The antenna is gone from my Kyo 7135. There doesn't appear to be anything
broken, but, the entire stub is gone. Is this something that I can get
replaced on the spot in a VZW store (I don't see this listed online as an
accessory) or will I need to buy it elsewhere? Any suggestions for where
to buy (if not at VZW) in NYC or how much I should expect to pay?

--
**** Please Remove "AT" from email address before replying ****
Joel Raskin | www.jraskin.com

Begin Joel quote:

; The antenna is gone from my Kyo 7135. There doesn't appear to be anything
; broken, but, the entire stub is gone. Is this something that I can get
; replaced on the spot in a VZW store (I don't see this listed online as an
; accessory) or will I need to buy it elsewhere? Any suggestions for where
; to buy (if not at VZW) in NYC or how much I should expect to pay?

http://store.kyocera-wireless.com/product_detail.aspx?productID=693

$10 + s/h

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"What about Kal El's appeal?" "Well admittedly he's well built, but
he's a trifle dull for my taste." (Lois Lane and Lord Nor, L&C
"Battleground Earth")

I just bought new antennas for my 7135s on eBay for fifteen bucks including
the installation tool and shipping......works great!

Nothing to it.....

PC

"Joel" <jrAT@jraskin.com> wrote in message
| The antenna is gone from my Kyo 7135. There doesn't appear to be anything
| broken, but, the entire stub is gone. Is this something that I can get
| replaced on the spot in a VZW store (I don't see this listed online as an
| accessory) or will I need to buy it elsewhere? Any suggestions for where
| to buy (if not at VZW) in NYC or how much I should expect to pay?
|

| --
| **** Please Remove "AT" from email address before replying ****
| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Joel Raskin | www.jraskin.com
| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Begin Proconsul quote:

; I just bought new antennas for my 7135s on eBay for fifteen bucks including
; the installation tool and shipping......works great!

They're ten bucks direct from the manufacturer.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"I could take over the universe with this army if I could ever get all
their weapons pointed in the same direction." (Adm. Aral Vorkosigan
[Lois McMaster Bujold, "Shards of Honor"])

"Jeffrey Kaplan" <acv@gordol.org> wrote in message
| Begin Proconsul quote:
|
| ; I just bought new antennas for my 7135s on eBay for fifteen bucks
including
| ; the installation tool and shipping......works great!
|
| They're ten bucks direct from the manufacturer.

Plus shipping.....:)

Cheapest way costs fourteen bucks total for one. Their "recommended"
shipping makes the total sixteen bucks for one but you don't get the
installation tool.......

Note that I said antenna(s) - plural. I bought two and total cost was
fifteen bucks for both including shipping AND the little wrench you need to
unscrew and reinstall antennas....

Either way works, but the tool made the difference for me, along with lower
price per unit.......

PC

joel

"Proconsul" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in

> Note that I said antenna(s) - plural. I bought two and total cost was
> fifteen bucks for both including shipping AND the little wrench you
> need to unscrew and reinstall antennas....

I hadn't thought about needing a tool to replace it - Does this mean that
part of the old antenna is likely still inside the phone and I'll need to
remove it? How difficult is the whole process? I just thought the new one
would screw into the top or something like that.

--
*** Please Remove "AT" from email address before replying ****
Joel Raskin | www.jraskin.com

Begin Joel quote:

; I hadn't thought about needing a tool to replace it - Does this mean that
; part of the old antenna is likely still inside the phone and I'll need to
; remove it? How difficult is the whole process? I just thought the new one
; would screw into the top or something like that.

The antenna sits inside a screw. The slots are on either side of the
antenna shaft. It's a standard size, so any cellular antenna wrench
will work, but they're not generally sold separately.

In the past, I've used tweezers or forks to tighten or remove the
antennas on my cellphones.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"But pain... seems to me an insufficient reason not to embrace life.
Being dead is quite painless. Pain, like time, is going to come on
regardless. Question is, what glorious moments can you win from life
in addition to the pain?" (Cordelia Vorkosigan [Lois McMaster Bujold,
"Barrayar"])

| "Proconsul" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in
|
| > Note that I said antenna(s) - plural. I bought two and total cost was
| > fifteen bucks for both including shipping AND the little wrench you
| > need to unscrew and reinstall antennas....
|
| I hadn't thought about needing a tool to replace it - Does this mean that
| part of the old antenna is likely still inside the phone and I'll need to
| remove it? How difficult is the whole process? I just thought the new
one
| would screw into the top or something like that.

The screw in part is slotted with the antenna running up through the
middle - the "wrench" is a two pronged gadget that makes it simple to
unscrew the antenna and screw in the replacement.....

The antenna is just screwed in, it's the funky screw that requires the
funcky wrench.....it's not difficult......

PC

joel

arrrrgggghhhhh!

I got the new antenna and installed it. Great!

Now, I tried reactivating the 7135 and I could not do it via the web site
("Unable to complete your request" or something like that). I called CS
and the rep was unable to do so either - she tried both the hex and dec
ESN.

She conferenced in a data tech support rep who was unable to activate the
7135 either. Finally she explained 'you need to have a data plan in
addition to your voice plan or you cannot activate this phone becuase it's
a PDA phone." I explained that I was using the phone for 15 months without
a data plan until I temporarily activated another phone while awaiting my
replacement antenna. BTW, for the record, i do not use data services on
this phone - I carry a T-mobile sidekick for text messaging, web, etc.
Anyway, she opened a trouble ticket and they will get back to me within 48
hours.

Has anybody else had this happen? This is unbelievable.