New GPT drive, works but now I can't access!

night_day

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
Hi everyone,

I just picked up a new 2TB drive, installed. I am running Windows 7 32bit. Windows detected the drive, asked me to format. I selected GPT. This went fine. I assigned it a drive letter and this went fine as well. I proceeded to spend the next while moving a ton of stuff onto this drive. Everything was fine, but when I rebooted today, the drive now does not have a drive letter and I cannot access it. Please help! Thanks!

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
Why did you do that! Windows x64 Edition and Windows Server 2003 SP1 operating systems support the use of GPT drives only as data volumes. Because the x64 and x86 architectures do not provide support for an EFI boot partition, you cannot use a GPT drive to boot an x64-based computer or an x86-based computer with a legacy BIOS. Therefore, computers running these operating systems must be equipped with more than one physical driver to allow the use of the GPT disk format.

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
sorry, misunderstood the problem, try this, go Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Storage>Disk Management(Local)>the next box gives you a list of HDD's, CD-ROM's, and USB devices, is it there?

night_day

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
Yes, it appears as disk1. Attached is a screen

disk.png

There's clearly something very wrong with your partition table. It's showing a 2TB disk as having 3911.02GB of storage. I believe that you should see only one GPT Protective Partition, not two.

I would be inclined to start over, although that may not be easy with a GPT disk. (I'd also be inclined to stick with a conventional MBR partitioning scheme.) Try Googling "GPT protective partition" - there are quite a few links there that might help.