Which mobo for this system

G

Hi, I have been planning on building a PC this summer for quite a while. Here are the general specs of what I'm going to go for. They may vary slightly depending on price:

1GHz Athlon
256mb pc2100 Ram
GeForce 3

I'd probably run 2 ide hard drives off it along with a cd drives,keyboards,monitor ect.

Which mobo would best suit that sort of setup? I don't mind waiting a month or so longer if a good mobo is scheduled as I want this system to be really good. Also is there any other new hardware to be released soon I should wait for?

Thanks.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
a Asus A7A266 would suit your app i guess. ALi Magik is a stable, good chipset with both DDR and SDR support as well as reasonable audio hardware (not those cheap AC97s)

you might want to wait for ALi Magik chipset rev B0 expecting performance.

girish

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>

I have been using the Fic ADll with no problems. It is cheap (only $105 at GPS computer services), comes with the faster AMD 761 chipset, and with the money you save, you can buy extra DDR memory for it. I overclocked a 1.2 Athlon to 1380 with the dip switches for the multiplier and voltage. You can find GPS using the Google search engine.

FatBurger

Illustrious
The Asus A7M266 is also a very good MB. Asus are generally more stable than FIC.
Or, if you're looking for onboard RAID (you mentioned two hard drives), then you can get the Abit KG7-RAID, another great MB.

Both of those are the AMD 761 chipset.

BTW, why are you getting a GeForce 3 and only an Athlon 1000?

------------------------------
My Athlon can beat your Ferrari off the line.

Kronos

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2001
Probably because the ease with which one pops in and out an Athlon processor makes the case for waiting till` the prices of existing Athlon 1.3`s drop to a hundred bucks. ;)

I want to die like my Grandfather...in my sleep...not screaming in terror like his passengers.