Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Random FPS drops + mouse issue; vsync helps

Last response: in Video Games
July 31, 2011 3:20:32 PM

A while ago I realized that while I was playing Half-Life 2 the FPS would drop from its normal ~60 to 10-ish or 15-ish after a few minutes of play. I turned on vsync, and that somehow stopped the problem with Half-Life 2, but I started playing Fallout 3, and it would happen every thirty minutes or so even though I had vsync on. (Also, I don't know if playing Half-Life 2 for longer periods of time might cause the problem to reoccur, since I play Fallout 3 for longer stretches.)

Also, I began playing Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, and the framerate drops to about 20 (I'm guessing) every few minutes. When that happens, my mouse becomes very sensitive and it's difficult to look around and control the game.

I'm pretty sure it's not any background processes interfering, either. There aren't any virus scanners or anything that run during my gaming.

SOME SPECS:

-Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT XLR8 (some 1 GB edition, so my computer recognizes it as a 9800 GT)
-2 GB RAM
-Windows 7 32-bit
-ASUS P5N-D motherboard
-Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 processor @ 3.00 GHz

Let me know if there's any more information you guys need. Thanks.

Best solution

July 31, 2011 3:55:22 PM

Have you checked the temperatures for your graphics card ? This slowdown you're experiencing may be due to overheating. But I can't be sure unless you confirm.
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
Download that and check your GPU temperatures while idle and while gaming.
August 1, 2011 1:00:49 AM

Yeah, that's totally the problem. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that 175 degrees is WAY too hot while idling. Thanks!

By the way, if you don't mind, do you see any other problems? The rest of that stuff is pretty hot. Also, those voltages look slightly off, but is that within an acceptable deviation? I don't know what the average is.

Thank you!
Score
Related resources
August 1, 2011 11:14:00 AM

scott42 said:
Yeah, that's totally the problem. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that 175 degrees is WAY too hot while idling. Thanks!

By the way, if you don't mind, do you see any other problems? The rest of that stuff is pretty hot. Also, those voltages look slightly off, but is that within an acceptable deviation? I don't know what the average is.

The temps on that CPU looks okay. But 175 degrees f, is just too much while idling !!! You should definitely do something about that cooling system of yours. You should apply thermal paste to that GPU heatsink. You're definitely risking permanent damage on that rig.

Score
August 15, 2011 10:08:58 PM

Best answer selected by scott42.
Score
August 16, 2011 11:26:25 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!