2nd Request: HP NetServer LC II and Windows XP Pro

Last response: in Computer Brands
July 28, 2005 12:16:02 AM

First request posted 7/20/05.

A client has acquired a used HP NetServer LC II and would like to run
Windows XP Professional on it. Will WinXP Pro run on this machine?

Tnx es 73!
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 7:48:23 AM

I thought I responded to the first request, but I must have been imagining.

The processor at either 266 or 300 MHz is a little slow for running Windows XP
Pro. If you can find a 333MHz processor, that would improve things.

You would need to replace the built-in graphics on the motherboard by installing
a PCI graphics card supported by Windows. The built-in graphics probably has a
Cirrus Logic chip and 1MB. There are no XP drivers for any Cirrus chips.

Max memory is 512MB, consisting of pretty hard to find HP-branded EDO DIMMs, ECC
I think. I would recommend the max.

The other chipsets on the motherboard are pretty standard and should be
supported by XP.

Still, I think that the possibility of your client being satisfied with XP Pro
running on the LC II is pretty slim. XP Pro is too much of a pig for older and
slower computers. Windows 2000 might be a better choice. It is far less
bloated... Ben Myers

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 20:16:02 -0700, Bob Felton <bob123.removethis@fieldtown.net>
wrote:

>First request posted 7/20/05.
>
>A client has acquired a used HP NetServer LC II and would like to run
>Windows XP Professional on it. Will WinXP Pro run on this machine?
>
>Tnx es 73!
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 5:29:21 PM

Maybe you hit the wrong key previously, Ben, and your response went
into the bit bucket. Anyway, thanks for the informative reply. I
will do some soul searching with my client over the matter and see
what he wants to do. Client is a small church. They only want to
have a "server" to save files to for shared access by other members of
the church administration. The NetServer was donated by a church
member, but it came without an OS. I think I have a source of a PIII
at 500MHz with WinXP that can be donated. That machine should fill
the bill OK. Thanks, again, Ben.
--
Bob

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 03:48:23 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
(Ben Myers) wrote:

>I thought I responded to the first request, but I must have been imagining.
>
>The processor at either 266 or 300 MHz is a little slow for running Windows XP
>Pro. If you can find a 333MHz processor, that would improve things.
>
>You would need to replace the built-in graphics on the motherboard by installing
>a PCI graphics card supported by Windows. The built-in graphics probably has a
>Cirrus Logic chip and 1MB. There are no XP drivers for any Cirrus chips.
>
>Max memory is 512MB, consisting of pretty hard to find HP-branded EDO DIMMs, ECC
>I think. I would recommend the max.
>
>The other chipsets on the motherboard are pretty standard and should be
>supported by XP.
>
>Still, I think that the possibility of your client being satisfied with XP Pro
>running on the LC II is pretty slim. XP Pro is too much of a pig for older and
>slower computers. Windows 2000 might be a better choice. It is far less
>bloated... Ben Myers
>
>On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 20:16:02 -0700, Bob Felton <bob123.removethis@fieldtown.net>
>wrote:
>
>>First request posted 7/20/05.
>>
>>A client has acquired a used HP NetServer LC II and would like to run
>>Windows XP Professional on it. Will WinXP Pro run on this machine?
>>
>>Tnx es 73!
August 1, 2005 2:50:40 AM

The NetServer LC II would be perfect for saving files for shared access if you
installed Linux on it. No compatibility problems at all. May even run
acceptably with as little as 128MB of memory. There are lots of free or nearly
free and up-to-date versions of Linux available: Red Hat, Mandrake, SUSE (now
part of Novell), Debian, Ubuntu. Setting up a Linux file server for Windows
clients is cheap and easy... Ben Myers

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 13:29:21 -0700, Bob Felton <bob123.removethis@fieldtown.net>
wrote:

>Maybe you hit the wrong key previously, Ben, and your response went
>into the bit bucket. Anyway, thanks for the informative reply. I
>will do some soul searching with my client over the matter and see
>what he wants to do. Client is a small church. They only want to
>have a "server" to save files to for shared access by other members of
>the church administration. The NetServer was donated by a church
>member, but it came without an OS. I think I have a source of a PIII
>at 500MHz with WinXP that can be donated. That machine should fill
>the bill OK. Thanks, again, Ben.
>--
>Bob
>

>On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 03:48:23 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
>(Ben Myers) wrote:
>
>>I thought I responded to the first request, but I must have been imagining.
>>
>>The processor at either 266 or 300 MHz is a little slow for running Windows XP
>>Pro. If you can find a 333MHz processor, that would improve things.
>>
>>You would need to replace the built-in graphics on the motherboard by installing
>>a PCI graphics card supported by Windows. The built-in graphics probably has a
>>Cirrus Logic chip and 1MB. There are no XP drivers for any Cirrus chips.
>>
>>Max memory is 512MB, consisting of pretty hard to find HP-branded EDO DIMMs, ECC
>>I think. I would recommend the max.
>>
>>The other chipsets on the motherboard are pretty standard and should be
>>supported by XP.
>>
>>Still, I think that the possibility of your client being satisfied with XP Pro
>>running on the LC II is pretty slim. XP Pro is too much of a pig for older and
>>slower computers. Windows 2000 might be a better choice. It is far less
>>bloated... Ben Myers
>>
>>On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 20:16:02 -0700, Bob Felton <bob123.removethis@fieldtown.net>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>First request posted 7/20/05.
>>>
>>>A client has acquired a used HP NetServer LC II and would like to run
>>>Windows XP Professional on it. Will WinXP Pro run on this machine?
>>>
>>>Tnx es 73!

Anonymous
August 2, 2005 12:43:21 AM

Thanks for the info, Ben. I might just look into that for them.
--
Bob

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 22:50:40 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
(Ben Myers) wrote:

>The NetServer LC II would be perfect for saving files for shared access if you
>installed Linux on it. No compatibility problems at all. May even run
>acceptably with as little as 128MB of memory. There are lots of free or nearly
>free and up-to-date versions of Linux available: Red Hat, Mandrake, SUSE (now
>part of Novell), Debian, Ubuntu. Setting up a Linux file server for Windows
>clients is cheap and easy... Ben Myers
>
>On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 13:29:21 -0700, Bob Felton <bob123.removethis@fieldtown.net>
>wrote:
>
>>Maybe you hit the wrong key previously, Ben, and your response went
>>into the bit bucket. Anyway, thanks for the informative reply. I
>>will do some soul searching with my client over the matter and see
>>what he wants to do. Client is a small church. They only want to
>>have a "server" to save files to for shared access by other members of
>>the church administration. The NetServer was donated by a church
>>member, but it came without an OS. I think I have a source of a PIII
>>at 500MHz with WinXP that can be donated. That machine should fill
>>the bill OK. Thanks, again, Ben.
>>--
>>Bob
>>

>>On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 03:48:23 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
>>(Ben Myers) wrote:
>>
>>>I thought I responded to the first request, but I must have been imagining.
>>>
>>>The processor at either 266 or 300 MHz is a little slow for running Windows XP
>>>Pro. If you can find a 333MHz processor, that would improve things.
>>>
>>>You would need to replace the built-in graphics on the motherboard by installing
>>>a PCI graphics card supported by Windows. The built-in graphics probably has a
>>>Cirrus Logic chip and 1MB. There are no XP drivers for any Cirrus chips.
>>>
>>>Max memory is 512MB, consisting of pretty hard to find HP-branded EDO DIMMs, ECC
>>>I think. I would recommend the max.
>>>
>>>The other chipsets on the motherboard are pretty standard and should be
>>>supported by XP.
>>>
>>>Still, I think that the possibility of your client being satisfied with XP Pro
>>>running on the LC II is pretty slim. XP Pro is too much of a pig for older and
>>>slower computers. Windows 2000 might be a better choice. It is far less
>>>bloated... Ben Myers

Anonymous
August 2, 2005 4:27:46 PM

Good. I am no Linux expert, although I have many years experience in the
business. I've done some Linux installs, with older Red Hat and current Suse
(courtesy of Novell). Both were extremely easy. Only one reboot needed,
compared to the usual Windows reboot-reboot-reboot as different drivers are
installed. For a system with older hardware, availability of Linux drivers is a
no-brainer, because the Linux distros carry forward the older drivers.
Micro$oft is perpetually changing its driver API, rendering old drivers obsolete
with newer versions of Windows. File and print servers are easy to set up under
Linux. Exceptions might be some of the newer printer-scanner-copier
shines-your-shoes kills-warts do-it-all devices, which have very specialized
drivers and supporting software under Windows... Ben Myers

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 20:43:21 -0700, Bob Felton <bob123.removethis@fieldtown.net>
wrote:

>Thanks for the info, Ben. I might just look into that for them.
>--
>Bob
>

>On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 22:50:40 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
>(Ben Myers) wrote:
>
>>The NetServer LC II would be perfect for saving files for shared access if you
>>installed Linux on it. No compatibility problems at all. May even run
>>acceptably with as little as 128MB of memory. There are lots of free or nearly
>>free and up-to-date versions of Linux available: Red Hat, Mandrake, SUSE (now
>>part of Novell), Debian, Ubuntu. Setting up a Linux file server for Windows
>>clients is cheap and easy... Ben Myers
>>
>>On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 13:29:21 -0700, Bob Felton <bob123.removethis@fieldtown.net>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Maybe you hit the wrong key previously, Ben, and your response went
>>>into the bit bucket. Anyway, thanks for the informative reply. I
>>>will do some soul searching with my client over the matter and see
>>>what he wants to do. Client is a small church. They only want to
>>>have a "server" to save files to for shared access by other members of
>>>the church administration. The NetServer was donated by a church
>>>member, but it came without an OS. I think I have a source of a PIII
>>>at 500MHz with WinXP that can be donated. That machine should fill
>>>the bill OK. Thanks, again, Ben.
>>>--
>>>Bob

Anonymous
August 2, 2005 4:27:47 PM

Good description of the newer printers, Ben. Now, if they can add cut
your toe and finger nails and trim your hair, I would like that.

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 12:27:46 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
(Ben Myers) wrote:

>Good. I am no Linux expert, although I have many years experience in the
>business. I've done some Linux installs, with older Red Hat and current Suse
>(courtesy of Novell). Both were extremely easy. Only one reboot needed,
>compared to the usual Windows reboot-reboot-reboot as different drivers are
>installed. For a system with older hardware, availability of Linux drivers is a
>no-brainer, because the Linux distros carry forward the older drivers.
>Micro$oft is perpetually changing its driver API, rendering old drivers obsolete
>with newer versions of Windows. File and print servers are easy to set up under
>Linux. Exceptions might be some of the newer printer-scanner-copier
>shines-your-shoes kills-warts do-it-all devices, which have very specialized
>drivers and supporting software under Windows... Ben Myers
>
>On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 20:43:21 -0700, Bob Felton <bob123.removethis@fieldtown.net>
>wrote:
>
>>Thanks for the info, Ben. I might just look into that for them.
>>--
>>Bob
>>

>>On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 22:50:40 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
>>(Ben Myers) wrote:
>>
>>>The NetServer LC II would be perfect for saving files for shared access if you
>>>installed Linux on it. No compatibility problems at all. May even run
>>>acceptably with as little as 128MB of memory. There are lots of free or nearly
>>>free and up-to-date versions of Linux available: Red Hat, Mandrake, SUSE (now
>>>part of Novell), Debian, Ubuntu. Setting up a Linux file server for Windows
>>>clients is cheap and easy... Ben Myers

Anonymous
August 2, 2005 11:46:16 PM

That's the next release, called Windows Vista. Special Active-X controls for
different type of manicures and pedicures. The in-grown toenail option may slip
to the next releae... Ben

!