Microsoft Boasts Better GPU Acceleration in IE9

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaymz1977

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
I haven't been a fan of IE for a couple of years now because of it's slowness. Any kind of acceleration would do I suppose to get it more competitive with the faster browsers. Can't wait to see the head to head tests you guys do.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
I'm so used to Firefox addon like Adblock Plus, Fastest Fox, VideoDownload Helper, and DownThemAll that I don't think I could go back to IE even if my life depended on it...

leo2kp

Distinguished
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]I'm so used to Firefox addon like Adblock Plus, Fastest Fox, VideoDownload Helper, and DownThemAll that I don't think I could go back to IE even if my life depended on it...[/citation]

So you'd rather die than use IE? lol.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
I stopped using IE last year after using it my whole life because it was so horribly unstable. It would regularly crash on me when opened (I guess it cannot handle 5 home tabs?). It does open faster then firefox (at least did when I switched over) but with an SSD now they are the same (instant).

Made the switch and nothing has ever made me want to look back really - very happy with firefox and love its flexibility with add-ons and such

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
Oh and IE also stopped remembering passwords for things like this site as well - even though it was set to remember them.

That and the crashing were the main reason I jumped ship

mjello

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Giving the browser access to directx functionality is the real bonus. Both for firefox and IE. Imagine what game developers can do with that kind o rendering power in a browser instead of using flash or java for internet games.

fausto

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2005
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]I'm so used to Firefox addon like Adblock Plus, Fastest Fox, VideoDownload Helper, and DownThemAll that I don't think I could go back to IE even if my life depended on it...[/citation]

i use IE only when a site requires me to.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
I'm the same way. I use chrome at school (only because it "not-so-coolly" installs itself outside of "Program Files" and without administrator rights) but other than that, I've gotten so accustomed to the FF plugins that I could never go back to IE. I won't use chrome at home, simply because it feels that it doesn't need to install itself into "Program Files". I'm not for freestyling like that.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
adblock plus -> HOSTS file manager like HOSTS man which boasts the added benefit of blocking bad sites and not being platform specific browser or os but is weaker in blocking some types of ads.
Fastest Fox -> depends ionno one thing that replaces it quite so much but i think IE accelerators? what they did with IE8 could replace that in ways but ionno if it's specific enough for the job
VideoDownload Helper -> there are sites that do that job just fine and wont be an add on to your browser
DownThemAll -> ionno anything that short cuts this in IE,

Haha oh well i tried!

I use Opera personally even though it has problems with sites and crap; just because of out of box customization from opera and i like how it manages passwords.

IE9 should be nice but overall speed means *** to me that's maybe half a sec diff between rendering of a full webpage for a browser which pretty much is nothing after you throw in Internet differences. What most people want is perceived speed interpolated loading of images and crap like that.

The speed crap isn't going to get me excited for IE, it going to be UI changes and crap like that, that will get me to consider using it.

scrumworks

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
One thing is for sure. MS cannot do a decent browser. IE6, IE7 were awful and still need to be maintained which drains tons of money. IE8 is slow and crappy too compared to competition. Will IE9 finally support CSS properly? Exciting times we live...

Stifle

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
So MS is touting its browser as being better to use with windows because they made it to work with windows? Whatever advances that IE9 has will be copied and made better in Chrome and FF soon enough, if not already.

danielgr

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
[citation][nom]liquidsnake718[/nom]yeah great, so what can onboard gpu's offer?[/citation]You could check it here:
http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/
(which you could have done for months)

danielgr

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
[citation][nom]IzzyCraft[/nom]adblock plus -> HOSTS file manager like HOSTS man which boasts the added benefit of blocking bad sites and not being platform specific browser or os but is weaker in blocking some types of ads.Fastest Fox -> depends ionno one thing that replaces it quite so much but i think IE accelerators? what they did with IE8 could replace that in ways but ionno if it's specific enough for the jobVideoDownload Helper -> there are sites that do that job just fine and wont be an add on to your browserDownThemAll -> ionno anything that short cuts this in IE,Haha oh well i tried!I use Opera personally even though it has problems with sites and crap just because of out of box customization and i like how it manages passwords.IE9 should be nice but overall speed means shit to me that's maybe half a sec diff between rendering of a full webpage for a browser which pretty much is nothing after you throw in Internet differences. What most people want is perceived speed interpolated loading of images and crap like that.The speed crap isn't going to get me excited for IE, it going to be UI changes and crap like that, that will get me to consider using it.[/citation]The one thing I've noticed with time is that people simply tend to prefer what they use because they actually know how to use it...

There have been add-ons to IE like IE7pro with add-blockers for as long as the browser existed; just a download manager, spellchecker, and many of the fancy things people say IE can't do. The other day I got my firefox fanatic colleage to explain me the greatest thing of Firefox was the keyboard shortcuts navigation; happend to be that IE had every single shortcut he mentioned (but had never bothered trying to fint out).

Same goes for internet straight video downloading plugins, which are just as abondant (an easy and good working one is Real Video's one, which can be installed together with their free player).

I personally use both firefox and IE; firefox used to be faster, it isn't that much so anymore unless you have a very old computer; at home I can't see any difference anymore (I5 + SSD + 8GB RAM). IE8 used to be buggier, now it's the other way around. Overall I always enjoy some things better on one of them, others on the other one. A few quick things I like about IE and miss in Firefox are:
- accelerators and specially web-slices
- the ability to handle several simultaneous windows live accounts
- the way it handles favorites and overall customizable button layout
- coloured tabs depending on their parent
- process independent tabs, which means that when one of them crashes it doesn't affect the others (firefox kills everything you had at once...)
- better compatibility with many sites, and also third party plugins that for some reason aren't developed for firefox.

Since most here are firefox fans, I don't think you need me to tell you what makes it a pretty nice browser.

Either way; looking forward to the new browser experiences that newer browsers seem to be readying (many of the tests on the IE9 platform preview are baffling).

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]leo2kp[/nom]So you'd rather die than use IE? lol.[/citation]
You have to admire his convictions. I don't like IE but I think if my life depended on it, I'd be on IE like white on rice.

Fortunately, my life does not depend on what browser I use!

danielgr

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
Forgot to say; one thing is saying "I support this or that", a very different one is "how well you do it".
Our world is recently becoming a "me too" race of the "must have features". Yet in most cases there are huge differences between how things are. Not all GPU accelerations are as effective, the same way not all ESPs in a car are, or not all "touch-screens" are as good as the ones found on the iphones.
We will see once the products are ready how they fare against each other, but I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft lead on that particular area, since they have the advantage of knowing their operating system better than anyone else out there.

Last time I recall, Win7 was best platform for GPU acceleration, and IE8 was best browser for flash precisely because of its GPU acceleration implementation (and despite being massively slower than any other browser out there in all kinds of benchmarks).

Status
Not open for further replies.