Sign in with
Your question

Crysis 2 low fps

Last response: in Video Games
July 31, 2011 10:58:24 PM

Hi,

Playing crysis 2 on hardcore settings and I have fps about 20. And I can notice some lag with my eye. I have i7 2600k, hd 6970 and I play it on 2560x1440 display. Should it be higher for this config or is it just normal?

Thank you!

More about : crysis low fps

August 1, 2011 12:23:20 AM

nobody can answer anything without you telling us the operating system you are playing the game on.
August 1, 2011 12:29:41 AM

Oh yes, it's windows 7 Ultimate
Related resources
August 1, 2011 12:53:30 AM

personally..
i dont think anybody should expect a video game to work flawlessly on an operating system edition called 'ultimate'
there are dozens of extra things going on with the 'ultimate' .. isnt that why they call it ultimate?

those are my feelings about it though.
other people might feel differently about it.

all of those extra features are supposed to be business oriented.
you cant play games while working.. and that is a damn good reason why it doesnt work.
dont blame the operating system.. just create a dual-boot hard drive that gives you the option of which 'system' to load when you turn on the computer.

my logic shouldnt be completely false.
wise words: 'take only what you need'
August 1, 2011 4:49:13 AM

dont listen to anwayplasible. his theory is wrong in application. your os has nothing to do with it, it is your screen res.

http://www.techspot.com/review/367-crysis2-beta-perform...
keep in mind that is a beta and dx9 version so real performance will be lower.

keep in mind that 2560x1440 is a lot more pixels then 1920x1080. 3686400 to 2073600 thats a 44% difference.
August 1, 2011 4:59:45 AM

Anywaypasible, would you please just stop? He was looking for an answer to a technical question, not some philosophy on W7 OS. I can tell you right now that me and others are growing quite tired of this kind of posting. It may have been funny in the other thread(console and pc gaming one) but it's not anymore. Hate to sound mean, but this is a computer technical forum, it should be treated like one.

OP, cb's answer is correct. Are you trying to run with the dx11 high res texture pack? This will further cripple performance at that resolution.
August 1, 2011 5:12:11 AM

anwaypasible step away from the bong... you have smoked to much weed... yes the univers is big and we are all very small but you dont need to tell every 1 what they already probably know. and that is your a (insert your own terms here)... pfft...

as the 2 above have already said its likley to be the rez your running at, although the 6970 performs similar to the other 70' rated cards in the range you can expect 20 fps minimum drop your rez to 1080 and you should climb to 27 ish turn off fsaa if you have it on and you may get a few extra.
if you want to get the best from your monitor you will need a minimum 2 gig card preferably a 90 series.
August 1, 2011 7:23:10 AM

trogdor796 said:
Anywaypasible, would you please just stop? He was looking for an answer to a technical question, not some philosophy on W7 OS. I can tell you right now that me and others are growing quite tired of this kind of posting. It may have been funny in the other thread(console and pc gaming one) but it's not anymore. Hate to sound mean, but this is a computer technical forum, it should be treated like one.

OP, cb's answer is correct. Are you trying to run with the dx11 high res texture pack? This will further cripple performance at that resolution.

you should hate to sound stupid.
i said PERSONALLY.
you cant read very intelligent, because that places my thoughts into privacy.. no matter if they were spoken in public or not.
therefore you are reported for invasive of privacy.

besides.. you ADMITTED IT yourself when you said 'hate to sound mean'
you dont need to speak to me any further ever again.

asking me if i will stop is a psychological question you dont deserve to ask.
talking about the operating system 'features' is technical.
not my problem if the truth hurts or not.
all the person needs is 10 more frames per second to feel better.
and nobody should be buying a bloated operating system without learning what can or should be shut down for playing video games.

your frustration should be the fact that the original poster did not go to the tomshardware charts to see the gtx 570 doing 26 frames per second at 1920x1800

it is only logical that the gtx 590 is in the 20's at the resolution.

i mean seriously.. stop telling me you are insecure and you wish to see mob action taken upon me.
i find it insulting that you are immature enough to laugh at me ever.. and then suddenly change your mind about what is funny at someone elses expense.

if you really feel the forum is 'technical'
then APPRECIATE the bloated ultimate version of windows 7 is giving some allowance to play video games when the operating system is designed around high levels of productivity.
you show yourself as a hypocrite to someone else now.
August 1, 2011 7:32:06 AM

HEXiT said:
anwaypasible step away from the bong... you have smoked to much weed... yes the univers is big and we are all very small but you dont need to tell every 1 what they already probably know. and that is your a (insert your own terms here)... pfft...

as the 2 above have already said its likley to be the rez your running at, although the 6970 performs similar to the other 70' rated cards in the range you can expect 20 fps minimum drop your rez to 1080 and you should climb to 27 ish turn off fsaa if you have it on and you may get a few extra.
if you want to get the best from your monitor you will need a minimum 2 gig card preferably a 90 series.

perhaps the moderators could get in gear and start punishing the people who think they have some power of say.
until they can use that report button.. they couldnt dream to say something of any worth with their arguing hatred.
but since they realize that, they start ganging up and making gang/mob threats.
making implications to persuade the admins to hear their begging, regardless of getting into the 'what is justified' discussion.

besides.. what is a forum for?
this particular one seems to be answering questions and being informative.
so it is only right that i call you out for saying something about NOT being informative.

i bet all of my posts have more details and more information than answering a bunch of stupid questions because people are too lazy to search the internet for charts and articles that have the answer right there in plain view.

an example...
one look at this webpage:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/crysis-2-directx-11...

you see the 6970 @ 23 fps minimum for the 1920x1800 resolution.

are you going to be clipping that persons nails and brushing their teeth for them too?

**edit**

dont tell me there is no life after what i said.
because there wasnt any effort put into the question.
that person doesnt appreciate tomshardware.com ... but here you are treating him/her like a lord or king.
August 1, 2011 12:23:24 PM

Ok sorry, in the future I will do more research from the internet before posting here.
August 1, 2011 1:39:41 PM

henry300 said:
Ok sorry, in the future I will do more research from the internet before posting here.

dont listen to him. the guy is less then knowledgable, i dont know what his motive or his reasoning is. he did this type of thing in another thread where he said that in 3d rendering(3ds max) that the gpu takes all the load and not the cpu. he couldnt be more wrong then tries to say how bad you are and insulting. weird.
August 1, 2011 3:28:07 PM

anwaypasible used Wall of text!
It's not very effective...

lol, anyways, I'm going to go with your high resolution, if you can, try to lower the resolution or buy another 6950 for crossfire ( if you got the money that is)
also, what is your RAM? just curious, ( maybe this guy has like 512MB of RAM or something)
August 3, 2011 6:27:50 PM

anwaypasible said:
your frustration should be the fact that the original poster did not go to the tomshardware charts to see the gtx 570 doing 26 frames per second at 1920x1800

it is only logical that the gtx 590 is in the 20's at the resolution.

1920x1800? GTX 590@20fps? What? Wait isnt this a 6970? Where did you get a 1920x1800 monitor? I want one.

Anyways I also agree that the monitor resolution is killing the fps. I use a GTX580 at 1920x1080 and i drop down to the low 30s or high 20s in some scenes. I hold an average of 55-60fps thanks to a bit of overclocking but at stock i was around 45 average. This is all just at 1920x1080 let alone your monster of a screen.

In short the fps youre getting is nothing out of the ordinary with that setup. We're all making the assumption that you have 4GB of RAM or more. I also assume you do as it would be unwise to have built that system with anything less.

If youre really picky, set your desktop theme to a Windows 7 Home Basic theme to get rid of the transparency and all that shiny stuff on the desktop. The ultimate package will hardly ruin your computers performance, thinking otherwise would just be blowing it out of proportion; on the other hand Ive noticed very small changes in fps when turning off those few additional desktop effects (up to 5fps at most.) The VRAM usage for the "Home Premium" themes are approximately double that of the "Home Basic" themes (dont quote me on this as Im sure this could be different for everybody.)

Maybe the latter paragraph is uneccessary, and Im sure many users will disagree with me, but after quite a lot of testing I determined it reliably increases performance in Crysis 2 by up to 10%. This could be a fluke (although I doubt it considering how much I tried it) or maybe Im alone in experiencing this. Small sacrifice for improvement though.
August 3, 2011 6:41:07 PM

i realized my spelling error with the 'gtx 590'
but
i didnt care to go back and change it.
get what you give i suppose.
August 3, 2011 9:43:46 PM

MightEMatt said:
1920x1800? GTX 590@20fps? What? Wait isnt this a 6970? Where did you get a 1920x1800 monitor? I want one.

Anyways I also agree that the monitor resolution is killing the fps. I use a GTX580 at 1920x1080 and i drop down to the low 30s or high 20s in some scenes. I hold an average of 55-60fps thanks to a bit of overclocking but at stock i was around 45 average. This is all just at 1920x1080 let alone your monster of a screen.

In short the fps youre getting is nothing out of the ordinary with that setup. We're all making the assumption that you have 4GB of RAM or more. I also assume you do as it would be unwise to have built that system with anything less.

If youre really picky, set your desktop theme to a Windows 7 Home Basic theme to get rid of the transparency and all that shiny stuff on the desktop. The ultimate package will hardly ruin your computers performance, thinking otherwise would just be blowing it out of proportion; on the other hand Ive noticed very small changes in fps when turning off those few additional desktop effects (up to 5fps at most.) The VRAM usage for the "Home Premium" themes are approximately double that of the "Home Basic" themes (dont quote me on this as Im sure this could be different for everybody.)

Maybe the latter paragraph is uneccessary, and Im sure many users will disagree with me, but after quite a lot of testing I determined it reliably increases performance in Crysis 2 by up to 10%. This could be a fluke (although I doubt it considering how much I tried it) or maybe Im alone in experiencing this. Small sacrifice for improvement though.

dropping the aero and stuff like that will offer a small increase inperformance as will turning off unneeded backround tasks. but really the return will be about 2% unless your running a machine that can barley cope with aero then you should get a sizable increase in performance.
it may be that when you lowerd the system overhead you wandered into a sweet spot where your gfx cpu and memory all get a small increase in perfomance but together it becomes more than the sum of its parts...
these things are hit and miss though. bumping an oc with an increase in mem speed or a drop in cas latency would likely give similar results. just produced a differnt way.
August 3, 2011 9:46:14 PM

anwaypasible said:
i realized my spelling error with the 'gtx 590'
but
i didnt care to go back and change it.
get what you give i suppose.

its not your spelling errors its not that you want to help. its that you write whole pages of text saying what could be said in 10 words or less... making readin your replys a pain in the ass.

if sum1 says they have an issue with a driver , theres no need to tell them how you think the driver works or why you think the driver has stoped working. just tell them to replace them and move on...
August 4, 2011 6:04:33 AM

you cannot say 5 things in 2 sentences without breaking into some serious amount of 'talking in code'

your complaint is about as pathetic as a person walking up to a total stranger and complaining about the color of their shirt.
then you follow that person around the city as they go shopping and you are complaining about every single thing they buy.

i can seriously taste how bad i want to sue you for your unlawful action.
and i am beginning to grow scared the moderators are as stupid as you are.. because that means more trouble for me, and more actions begging for attention.

inhumane treatment can never ever see its definition re-written.
but you certainly claim to think you have such a gift.

**edit**

but anyways..
you may be right.
there is no NEED to teach people.. because that is how they remain stupid.
but
if i WANT to teach people.. you have already given a solid reason why you will never ever be the person to stop me.

you talk as if i work for your money, or if i am under your supervision.
neither one are true.. and i would probably physically attack you if you were ever close enough to hand me some money or be there to offer your praise.

let us simply agree you are the reason why some people drool about carrying (or using) a weapon.
your freedom has led you down this road you wont be able to turn around and go back from.. because even the youngest of children have grown up without making such queer mistakes.

i dont like how you are insulting my reputation.
thus my obligation to reply.

if you were putting your energy in the right place.. you would have asked for a 'user ignore feature' as i have already done.

**edit again**

how about this..
(and i cannot believe i need to tell you.. but you make me sick and i will say it for the sake of 'new' and 'now' )

feed a person some food and they will live to see another day.
teach the person how to capture and cook the food and they will live for a lot longer than a day.

you are claiming to be on the team 'feed a person some food'
that means people will come to you BEGGING for more food everyday.
your psychology profile is a disaster, even if being here saying what you said was the instructions for your job.
that is the beauty between me and you.
i want people to grow and live without constant need and struggle.
you say you want people to remain starving and remain stupid.

if your group of people is too stupid to capture food and cook it.. what are they going to be doing when they could be capturing food or cooking it?
obviously you cannot expect those people to do something that requires responsibility or intelligence.. because you already refused to teach them responsibility or intelligence.

this is a technological revolution.. so i dont know who you think you are, or what gang you have created, but.. people get scared when a lot of energy/excitement comes rushing up onto them.
i am not here to enjoy answering stupid stupid questions like 'how do you plug in a speaker'
or 'how do you plug in this electronic device into a wall outlet'

are you seriously that discombobulated your next question is going to be 'can you help me keep my butt on the toilet?'
lets think about who is potty training who here.
August 4, 2011 6:18:01 AM

Cool it guys. You both have the right to give your opinions and try to help those who seek it, whether it be 2 words, or 2 paragraphs. Some appreciate an answer, as some appreciate an explanation.

However, what won't be tolerated, are threats and insults. This is the only warning. Now keep it on topic. Thanks, and much appreciated.
August 4, 2011 6:26:57 AM

i generally dont stop living in my own little world unless somebody or something stops me.

i am glad the matter at hand has been brought to light.
now i dont have to defend myself anymore and the threads wont have to go to waste because of arguing.

i am off to get another 'best answer' or something. :hello: 
August 4, 2011 6:33:25 AM

best answers are hard to get as people rarely selects one, but good luck
August 4, 2011 10:11:55 AM

oops, was I thinking out loud? im sorry
August 4, 2011 11:08:06 AM

Flint, I would delete that if I were you, just sayin
!