Do I need a floppy?

marabob

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2001
Hi, I'm building an athlon system and I wonder do I still need to install a floppy drive?

When it hits the fan, it make a mess.

bungee

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2001
It's essential...even if you use it just one time year! Imagine your system crash and your CD-drive don't work and you can't communicate with your hard drives... The only way to boot is with a floppy! It happens sometimes, beleive me! I read an article in the newspaper some time ago which asked the same question as you did and it answered it when its system crashed just as I have answered.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
A floppy drive is really cheap anyway, so why not just buy one for the security and keep it in there.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

dhlucke

Polypheme
I'm going to try to build and run my next machine with only the zip drive. So far I don't know anyone who has done this though....

<font color=red>Yeah, I took a crap on your lawn. Whatcha gonna do about it?</font color=red>

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
f your bios will support booting from zip i cant see a problem.
But what when your only bootable zip disk dies on you, and all you have is loads of friends who are all too happy to make you a boot disk....
I'd personally put in a floppy, also some (AV recovery/Partition magic rescue disk/Lost and found/ERD) may need to be booted off a floppy.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

dhlucke

Polypheme
I've never had a zip disc die on me.

I don't want a floppy drive. I can't fit anything on it, and if we stop buying them they'll stop making them.

I might use my floppy drive 3 times a year nowadays and that's only to move doc files to an old P90 on campus.

<font color=red>Yeah, I took a crap on your lawn. Whatcha gonna do about it?</font color=red>

dhlucke

Polypheme
Did you just set it up in the bios? Did you need the floppy cable to be plugged in or was it straight forward?

G

I have 2 athlon systems running Win2K w/o floppy drives. If you can boot from a CD, you don't need a floppy....... assuming you can create your own boot CD which will load dos or win98 so that you can do a bios flash.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I couldn't set it up in BIOS, it was SCSI. But I did disable the Floppy interface and set the floppies to none. I would suspect that my SCSI card relecated it to A: except that it also showed up as D:, so I suspect Windows.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

yeah, boot cd's are the next evolution, i think. hell, we have to get rid of these floppies sooner or later.

ignore everything i say

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Just remember, Windows in safe mode will not work with anything else but a floppy drive and if you have any problems that causes Windows to be unhappy, you will be out of luck.

If it works for you then don't fix it.