Freezing problems with KT7A

DarkReaper

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
I have a problem with my new mobo. It always freezes after some time in windows. But runs magicaly stable under dos. I have updated my bios to the newest version and 4 in 1 drivers are uptodate aswell. What can I do??

My Rig:
AMD Thunderbird 1200Mhz
Abit KT7A Mobo
128mb Ram noname
Enermax EG365P-VE Powersupply
Diamond Viper 2 FX card
Maxtor 20gig hd 5400U/pm
Soundblaster Live Player 1024

extremity

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2001
I would assume your power supply is 365watts?.
If this is so, try a P/S with at least 400watts, more would be helpful.
Other than that, did you have any problems whilst loading your O/S?.

On the Edge of Extremity
Microsoft Registered OEM,DSP,MCP
Custom Building of PC`s.

DarkReaper

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
I dont think that my rig is such power hungry that it needs a 400watt ps.

Another problem is that there is some sort of tv snow on my screen, you know that thing that happens when you have a bad connection on your tv. I have colored and white bits flying around my screen and its driving me nuts!!! What the hell is up with my comp!!!???

shuke

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Try a lower timing for your ram, or put it on the other slots or try replace it with another. If it's ok in dos, then its most probably the ram.

It don't come easy.......not always.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Which BIOS did you upgrade to? I tried to update my BIOS to 3R01 and my KT7 started freezing. I've gone back to WZb01 (patched WZ) which I still find perfectly stable.

I believe the 3R01 BIOS implements the Register Offset 52 hack, the one that allegedly lowers CPU temperatures at idle. I say this because my CPU temperature drops to 30 degrees (as indicated by Motherboard Monitor 5.03) and then my system locks ups just as it did when using the "hack". My normal idle temperature is 39 degrees if ACPI off and 35-36 with ACPI enabled. 30 degrees would be about the same as ambient motherboard temperature which is not possible.

Don't worry about the power supply. Your Enermax is far more capable than many so called 400-watt units.

You might also try temporarily removing your sound card (and any other PCI cards) and retest for stability. If it works try the link below and read the Instability section. There's a terrific guide for troubshooting PCI conflicts.

<A HREF="http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kt7/kt7faq.htm" target="_new">Paul's Unofficial Abit KT7 FAQ</A>

Update:

I just read some updates in the Instability section at the link above. The suggestion to set K7 CLK CTL to <b>Optimal</b> seems to have eliminated the problem I described. The 3Rb01 BIOS is now working on my system (with the lower CPU idle temperatures). Give this setting a try.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 07/12/01 04:13 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

rbertino

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
You're computer showing "snow" gave me a thought. I had a computer that would do that exact same thing every now and then. I traced the problem to a faulty video card, replaced it, and the problems went away.

Do you have another video card (maybe even PCI if you have to) to try in the system? Because if the video card is faulty, that could also be causing lock ups in the system.

<i>I don't know anything about computers... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night...</i> :lol: