Martok

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2001
I am currently looking for a new AMD motherboard. I work in the 3D graphics field, where we use 3D Studio Max and Softimage. I would like a board that can handle the power of these applications. I am unsure if I should wait to see what boards come out with the SiS 735 chipset and how they rate. If not is the MSI's K7-Master still the top ranked, most powerful board out there or is it K7T 266 Pro R or something else?
Thanks
Nick B.

G

I would recommend waiting for nForce and SiS 735, to see which one is better. If you must have something soon, there are many new motherboards coming now that are performing better than the first generation DDR mobos. VIA's KT266 chipset has finally matured. Epox's AMD760 and KT266 boards are very interesting. Asus A7V266 is out, according to The Register. So is Abit KG7.

Leo

G

Perhaps, that's why so many new mobos are being released these days. They want to get a head start in sales before nForce hits the market.

Leo

Martok

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2001
Thanks. Would you also wait awhile to see if the nForce or SiS735 make any quick improvements or changes or do you think it would be safe to buy one right when it comes out. How long do you think it will be before these boards come out? The nForce board looks like it would help me in the long run. We also use some old SGI machines, and their performance still impress the hell out of me. Will the nForce board mainly increase performance when used with other nVidia products? I mainly try to use OpenGL video cards created for application specific performance.(3Dlabs, Elsa) What did you mean by AMD760 & KT266 boards are very interesting?
Thanks
Nick B.

G

It is always a good idea to look around for reviews first, before buying a mobo. It does take time, though, for compatibility issues to show up, so I wouldn't want to suggest waiting for months. A couple of weeks should suffice to detect (and correct) any serious blunders (like the R126/R127 resistors on MSI's original release of K7T266). A brief waiting period should also ensure settling of the original price.

Leo

P.S. When I say mobos are interesting, it means they're good. :)