Future Power mobo + Athlon = Weird behaviour

G

Ok so I have a problem, can someone help me.

I have the following configuration on my new system I just built.

Future Power mobo
Athlon t-bird 1000 Mhz
256 mb SDRAM (1x128 @ 100mhz + 1x128 @ 133mhz)
Maxtor 27.0 Gig HD
TNT2 M64 Video Card

Here are some symptoms the machine has been having:
- Really slow to open any programs
- Audio clips in and out (AC97 Integrated Audio)
- Multitasking seems to tax the system incredibly and I can only run one application at a time usually.

So my question is why is this happening. I have my DRAM clock set to 100 Mhz due to my differing ram chips but I don't think that this would cause a problem. Another thought I had was to install the VIA HD Controller drivers off the CD that came with my MOBO but the system auto recognized the HD Controllers so I thought it best not to mess with it.

Any experienced PC Builders or users who could offer any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Dave

- I like sunshine :) -

extremity

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2001
Did you have any probs on first post?.
Have you double checked the CPU settings and does it post correctly?.
Is the M/B dipped or Bios switched or both?.
Are these settings correct?.
The SDRAM S/B ok @ 100, however please make sure your M/B will support both 100 & 133 some do not.
Did you encounter any errors loading your O/S?.
Your M/B maybe faulty.....?.
let us know what transpires?.

On the Edge of Extremity
Microsoft Registered OEM,DSP,MCP
Custom Building of PC`s.

G

Thanks for the reply back....

I didn't have any problems on the first post at all after some rather interesting ordeals to be exact. It's a rather long story but I'll make it short.

I originally attempted to install Win 2000 on the machine but after two unsuccesful attempts and 2 reformats using NTFS I gave up and decided to put Windows 98 SE on. So I reformatted in Fat32 and installed 98 SE but I guess the format.exe doesn't do enough of a low level format and there were still artifacts on the HD and 98 Crashed hard and I couldn't get back in.

Sooo.... I did a low low level format (wrote 0's to every sector on this 27.0 gig drive and it took 3.5 hours) and reinstalled Win 98 (no more chances on 2000) and now it works fine but I'm getting the symptoms I described in my other post.

The mother board is not dip switched it's only BIOS switched and I think the settings are correct, I set everything to default except the Sdram clock.

So that's about it. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the help in advance,
Dave

- I like sunshine :) -

extremity

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2001
To try and be of further help, I need to know what your BIOS settings are.
To have them all at default will not always give you stable performance, in fact it may give you the exact opposite.
What P/S are you running, it S/B >300watts and be surge protected of course.
However, I have a feeling that it will be a BIOS setting(s), going on all your previous work/problems/rework.
A rundown of your chipset settings would help me!.

On the Edge of Extremity
Microsoft Registered OEM,DSP,MCP
Custom Building of PC`s.