Sign in with
Your question

Gaming and Windows 7

Last response: in Video Games
August 2, 2011 3:23:41 AM

Which version of windows 7 is best for gaming? Looking to upgrade to Win 7 but not sure which version to get. Can you still play games that work on xp or should I have a dual boot setup?

More about : gaming windows

a b $ Windows 7
a b 4 Gaming
August 2, 2011 3:49:14 AM

Some Windows XP games do not run on Vista or 7, but they are usually older games. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic I & II for example.
m
l
August 2, 2011 11:00:57 AM

jaguarskx said:
Some Windows XP games do not run on Vista or 7, but they are usually older games. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic I & II for example.

But both games Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic I & II run on my PCs on both Win 7 Ultimate 32bit and 64bit.
m
l
Related resources
a c 228 $ Windows 7
a b 4 Gaming
August 2, 2011 12:28:45 PM

Older 16 bit games (mostly win95 and win98) will not run in any 64 bit version of windows. 32 bit games should run fine.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 2, 2011 3:18:18 PM

I believe Windows 7 Ultimate will has a mode to run XP games
m
l
a c 228 $ Windows 7
a b 4 Gaming
August 2, 2011 3:27:30 PM

seller417 said:
I believe Windows 7 Ultimate will has a mode to run XP games

XP mode in win 7 uses MS Virtual PC which does not support DirectX, so you can't play games in XP mode. This is more for business apps.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 2, 2011 3:47:21 PM

Quote:
seller417 wrote :I believe Windows 7 Ultimate will has a mode to run XP games

+1 to what Hawkeye said. You can use Virtual XP that's available from Microsoft's website to play games that are not supported on Windows 7.

@OP: If you are upgrading to Win7, then I'd make sure that you have at least 2GB RAM especially since you're gaming and also, I'd make sure yo get a 64bit version of Windows. No need to go for Windows 7 Ultimate, as it's just a bit too costly and contains features that most common people won't even use.
m
l
a c 228 $ Windows 7
a b 4 Gaming
August 2, 2011 4:55:26 PM

Gman450 said:
Quote:
seller417 wrote :I believe Windows 7 Ultimate will has a mode to run XP games

+1 to what Hawkeye said. You can use Virtual XP that's available from Microsoft's website to play games that are not supported on Windows 7.

@OP: If you are upgrading to Win7, then I'd make sure that you have at least 2GB RAM especially since you're gaming and also, I'd make sure yo get a 64bit version of Windows. No need to go for Windows 7 Ultimate, as it's just a bit too costly and contains features that most common people won't even use.

You contradicted yourself, by giving me a +1. I said XP mode can't play games. Also it's only available in three versions of Windows 7 - Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate.

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 2, 2011 5:09:36 PM

Didn't quite see that you wrote 'doesn't'. Aren't you talking of Virtual XP ?
m
l
a c 228 $ Windows 7
a b 4 Gaming
August 2, 2011 5:30:11 PM

Gman450 said:
Didn't quite see that you wrote 'doesn't'. Aren't you talking of Virtual XP ?

Yes, I'm talking about XP mode in win 7 which uses MS Virtual PC. It doesn't support DirectX or at least not Direct3D, thus can't play games in it. Unless this has changed since the original specs for XP mode, you will not be able to play games in XP mode.
m
l
August 3, 2011 3:30:18 AM

You can run all games in Windows 7 using comp-ability mode and for older games you can use this software named Dos Box i use it run Turbo c in windows 7 64*bit
m
l
August 3, 2011 4:09:48 PM

Doesn't Windows 7 come with both the 32-bit and 64-bit disks? Mine did. You can probably install both then dual-boot as per your needs, if you need to have the option of the 32-bit OS open to you.
m
l
!