AtomicZ

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011
Which version of windows 7 is best for gaming? Looking to upgrade to Win 7 but not sure which version to get. Can you still play games that work on xp or should I have a dual boot setup?

venjhammet

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009

But both games Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic I & II run on my PCs on both Win 7 Ultimate 32bit and 64bit.

seller417 wrote :I believe Windows 7 Ultimate will has a mode to run XP games
+1 to what Hawkeye said. You can use Virtual XP that's available from Microsoft's website to play games that are not supported on Windows 7.

@OP: If you are upgrading to Win7, then I'd make sure that you have at least 2GB RAM especially since you're gaming and also, I'd make sure yo get a 64bit version of Windows. No need to go for Windows 7 Ultimate, as it's just a bit too costly and contains features that most common people won't even use.

You contradicted yourself, by giving me a +1. I said XP mode can't play games. Also it's only available in three versions of Windows 7 - Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate.

Yes, I'm talking about XP mode in win 7 which uses MS Virtual PC. It doesn't support DirectX or at least not Direct3D, thus can't play games in it. Unless this has changed since the original specs for XP mode, you will not be able to play games in XP mode.

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
have a good look at this article:
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/windows_7_gaming/

they test all of the highest 'feature-packed' versions of windows.
arma II proves a single game can run better on windows 7
the game also proves it can run faster on 64bit operating system.

Archer_25

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
You can run all games in Windows 7 using comp-ability mode and for older games you can use this software named Dos Box i use it run Turbo c in windows 7 64*bit