Sign in with
Your question

Massive fps drops after minutes of gameplay new rig

Last response: in Video Games
August 2, 2011 7:21:57 AM

Hi. I've been having a lot of problems with my rig with all my games lately.

Phenom X6 1090t
Radeon 6870
750w PSU
4gb ram

I've tried all I can think of and no success.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BccJHnI-8E

The link is exactly the problem that i've been having with all my games.
Any help will truly be appreciated.
Thanks
August 2, 2011 8:11:49 AM

You checked the sort of temps your CPU or GPU are generating?

Also have you tried driversweeper to clean your drivers then reinstall drivers?
m
l
August 2, 2011 1:52:20 PM

GPU temps are always around 60 with fans at 65% and cpu stays around 45-47.
I bought an H50 cooler so the cpu wouldn't heat up so much and always try to maintain gpu temps as low as possible.
BTW No overclock on either component. No Background applications/ viruses.
m
l
Related resources
August 2, 2011 2:49:25 PM

And yeah i used driver sweeper and installed latest driver for gpu
m
l
August 2, 2011 3:32:49 PM

Is the 60 degrees for that GPU at idle or while at gaming ?
Have you checked if any sorts of dust got inside that casing and at the GPU ?
m
l
August 2, 2011 4:03:49 PM

gpu 46c at idle. i don't think there's any dust in there but i'll check later and post back.
m
l
August 2, 2011 5:13:43 PM

It's clean. No way that's the prob. I had also tried a brand new gtx 570 and got the same fps drop. Could it be the processor? Bottlenecking? I read about it but my %'s arent high at all
m
l
August 2, 2011 5:17:06 PM

Sounds like the drivers are not completely clean. I had a 5970 and ran driver sweeper, installed my 580 gtx and had AWFUL fps problems. Reinstalled the 5970 and same thing. I reformatted installed the 580 drivers and was off and running with high fps. Sometimes the drivers are just messed up. In my experience it gets really hard when going from ati/nvidia and vice versa.
m
l
August 2, 2011 5:57:07 PM

Well I dusted the 6870 off and been playing Crysis 2 online for like 30 mins no prob. Also downloaded latest drivers and used driver sweep. I'll post back if it happens again. Thanks
m
l
August 2, 2011 10:11:19 PM

dust can cause static..

do we need to have the same old talk about static and electronics being bad for eachother?

if that isnt it.. drivers need version change.
you said you have all of the extra software turned off.
if the above two doesnt fix it.. perhaps your processor or motherboard is dieing.

did you check the back of the motherboard for dust anybody?
it might help.
m
l
August 3, 2011 5:08:32 AM

Well my rig is only like two months old. I have tried dif drivers and using 11.7 right now. The fps drop happened again right now. I alt+tab+del to desktop and after a few seconds it went up to 60. CPU and GPU temps normal.
m
l
August 3, 2011 6:58:06 AM

Try downgrading your GPU by an update. Via device manager >> Roll back driver. See if it makes a difference. Then try and update the gfx through windows instead of online exe update, unless that's what you did then visa versa.
m
l
August 3, 2011 7:00:35 AM

I already tried both ways. Still have the same problem. it will drop down to say 30 stay there for about a minute an then go up to 60 fps steady. Have to go to desktop most times.
m
l
August 3, 2011 3:14:43 PM

Is that really a problem? If you only have to take a minute before fps catches up?
m
l
August 3, 2011 3:33:57 PM

When I'm playing online yes it is a huge problem. The game crawls to 10 fps and i get killed like ten times before i can move or do anything else.
m
l
August 3, 2011 3:39:09 PM

Hmm, like I said. Try downgrading, and without updating try to play the game.
m
l
August 3, 2011 4:31:56 PM

hey..

does the ati cards have some type of power saving mode that you can change in the graphic cards control panel?

if no such thing exists..
i would be thinking some piece of hardware is stressed out, either because it is defective or because of something else like the power supply.

you should be monitoring your CPU and GPU usage when the drop in frames per second happen.
does either one show 100% usage?

you should then check your voltages when the frames per second happen.
does any of the voltages change when the frames per second happen?

if that doesnt fix it (although it should be enough to find the culprit) .. then you are going to need stress test software.
you test the CPU all by itself
you test the RAM on the motherboard all by itself
you test the graphics card all by itself

watch the temperatures and voltages.
something is bound to either fail a test, or show a voltage problem.
if neither one happens, you have a software conflict.

dont be too afraid to try running more than one stress test at a time to try and recreate the problem.
if you could do the CPU and graphics card at the same time.. that might help bring the problem to the surface.

i know memtest86 is a program that isnt really run from windows, it is supposed to be loaded all by itself after the bios screen shows up.
but
maybe you can find a different program to stress the RAM some too.

you might rule out the CPU
you might rule out the graphics card
you might rule out the sticks of ram
you might rule out the power supply
the only thing left would be the chipset on the motherboard.
m
l
August 3, 2011 5:26:25 PM

i've already done all these tests and nothing abnormal ever showed up. I feel like my cpu is throttling but my CPU usage % never reaches 100%.
m
l
August 3, 2011 6:03:17 PM

you are sitting here telling me you have done all of these stress tests, but you dont have a single monitoring program to check your CPU and front side bus speed.

what a lollipop!
m
l
August 4, 2011 2:58:31 AM

anwaypasible said:
you are sitting here telling me you have done all of these stress tests, but you dont have a single monitoring program to check your CPU and front side bus speed.

what a lollipop!

Dude what i'm saying is that ive done a lot of test with many programs and apps but dont remember their names. But nice attitude.
m
l
August 4, 2011 5:37:04 AM

you are completely unorganized like an 8 or 9 year old.
do you seriously think somebody is going to help you with the lack of information you give?

but lets go back..
you said you have tried some 'test' but dont remember the name.
how were you ever smart enough to get that far without checking voltages and temperature and processor speeds and resource usage?

based on what you said and how you are saying it..
i would come to the conclusion that you probably didnt do any of those tests right.

are you sure you are not 14 and scared to build your first computer?
and
if i get into more 'attitude' with you.. is somebody else going to get over here and find out what the hell is causing this person to treat us this way?

i mean..
it looks like you are wearing long pants and a jacket as you walk up to us and say 'i need help.. it is an emergency'

and when we ask 'what do you need help with?'
you dont have any more information to save your life.

alright 'dude'
we dont know if you are bleeding under that coat or if your ribs are broken or if your cat is stuck in a tree around the corner.

presentation is everything.
when you ask for help.. and when you ask your motherboard and CPU to overclock, your presentation is everything.

i am not going to go on and on about an 'attitude'
but
i will say this..
you came here asking for help from us, and you dont have any of the information needed for us to help you.

either re-write your question with some details, or stick around to see all of the people who will stand around and BEG for you to be intelligent enough to use a question mark.

i dont care about the names of those applications.
i care about you coming here and trolling with questions that dont have enough details for anybody to help you.
that is harmful, abusive, insulting, attempts to embarrass the people who do help.. it disrupts the natural flow of forum discussion.

my taste buds are watering to see you (and others like you) banned from the forum.

how can you not see what you are doing?
there is no information there for us to help you.
now all there is left for us to do is BEG you for the information.
i am not stupid, and i hope the moderators share the same intellect.
because you make a fun thing less enjoyable.
m
l
August 4, 2011 6:21:09 AM

W O W Really. Never mind man. I hope you enjoy that ego trip. I'm sure it'll get you a long way. I was merely trying to find some help as i am not really experienced in this field. I apologize foe entering your sacred life and bothering a beautiful mind such as yours. I'm sure you'll wake up tomorrow just as sad as you are today. I wish you the best of luck. Really
m
l
August 4, 2011 6:30:50 AM

fine.

but dont go run off and say i didnt give you any help or advice.
you got the standard run of information that anybody would get when they start to overclock or troubleshoot their hardware.

i know the situation can appear as if you dont know which one is the problem.
and i explained how to determine what piece of hardware is good.
you said you didnt take all of the steps necessary to determine which piece was good.
i cant help you any further because of that.

**edit**

nobody else can help you any further because of that.
m
l
!