Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
system specs
i5 2400
asus p8p67-mpro
4gb 1600mhz ram
gtx460
500w psu

when I am playing most games (eg dirt 3, call of duty 4) after a random period of time it freezes up and i have to restart
attached is the dmp file from the error message that pops up after i hard reset the computer.....
ok, im not sure how to attach it?
thanks in advance

Viper6

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
it does not show the literal bsod. it just locks up and when i restart it tells me it is and saves minidumps as well. I have had this problem everytime i play a game that requires the system to undergo a bit of effort (dirt 3, call of duty 4 & blackops) call of duty 2 seems to run fine most of the time

Viper6

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
Ok here are screenshots of the program running with nothing, the menu of dirt 3 and playing the game.
Is that gpu temp abit high?
desktopum.png

menuhs.png

playing.png

Yep, it's overheating. Your GPU is overheating. Check if it's heat sink is lose in some way, or whether it's got any sorts of dust piled up. If still the problem persists, then I'd suggest you apply thermal paste on that GPU's heatsink or other wise increase the fan speed by using MSI Afterburner.

Viper6

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
Tried afterburner turns out the fan was at 100% which was not surprising as it sounded like my computer was about to take flight.
could it be due to a faulty card or something?
afterburner.png

It's not probable a faulty card, but a faulty heatsink. You should either apply thermal paste or get some new fans for that cabinet. Hopefully that can solve your issue. 100*C on full load is really hot. Best you get it fixed quick so that you won't risk permanent damage on that card. :)