Newbie237

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2003
My IBM T41 laptop just stop working afew days ago. When starting it, I get to the log-in screen and then once I enter password, the pc stops loading XP - but I can still move the mouse.
When I boot in safe mode, XP loads properly.

Any idea what could be causing this ? how to fix it ?

---------------------
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
P4 3.0GHz HT
1Gb Corsair XMS PC3200LLPT
ATI A-i-W Radeon 9800 Pro
WD 200Gb SATA
Lite-on IDE Combo 48161H& DVD-RW 812S
Win XP Pro SP1

Newbie237

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2003
By the way, I have XP Pro SP2

---------------------
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
P4 3.0GHz HT
1Gb Corsair XMS PC3200LLPT
ATI A-i-W Radeon 9800 Pro
WD 200Gb SATA
Lite-on IDE Combo 48161H& DVD-RW 812S
Win XP Pro SP1

riser

Illustrious
Boot into Safe Mode, run Msconfig from Run on the start menu. Disable all on the Start up tab, restart comptuer in normal mode. Uninstall any unnecessary programs.. even go through the start up tab to see if you notice anything that looks different or doesn't sound familiar. You'll want to hunt everything down in that list to find out what each thing is.
That is at least a start..

Riser

sobelizard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Sounds like your event viewer logs are full. Boot into safe mode and open the manage mmc or goto event viewer from Start>All Programs>Administrative Tools>Event Viewer. Right click on each of the subs (application/security/system) and click properties. Set your maximum log size (two megs per is plenty) and check the "overwrite events as needed" option.

If this option is not set, your pc will fail to continue to load xp upon login, due to event log not being able to log events.

<b><i>Powered by <font color=blue>V</font color=blue><font color=purple>E</font color=purple><font color=red>R</font color=red><font color=purple>T</font color=purple><font color=blue>O</font color=blue></b>
Fueled by <b><font color=blue>CL-</font color=blue><font color=red>ONE</font color=red></b>