AMD No Immediate Plans to Enter Tablet Market

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Tom's, any chance you might cover AMD's showing of Zacate/Ontario this week? You guys neglected to do any real reviewing of Danube after it was released, hopefully you won't do the same with Zacate/Ontario. AMD released some rather impressive videos of Zacate vs. an Intel Core i5 laptop, Zacate was the clear winner in that exchange...

TeKEffect

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
I'm a desktop person myself so I'm happy to see them continuing to push those technologies forward, especially ATI. But it seems every year or 6 months for that matter, mobile devices are becoming the standard. Laptops already out sell desktops. Tablets and cell phones seems to be where all the growth is. Wouldn't u want a piece of that rather than just going after market share in a shrinking market?

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
The tablet market will continue to flounder without AMD in it quite honestly. Nothing coming out has a competitive graphics platform that only AMD and nVidia can offer.

braneman

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
yay one of the processor companies that's actually seeing sense. I'd much rather have crazy graphics cards that are good for a large segment of the market rather than tablets which are good for a very small part of the market(once the ifad dies out.)

G

I just bought a laptop with AMD chipset, CPU, and graphics card.
No way i'm going to support "the other brand".
If they go into tablet computers, i'll buy them too.

Actually, I think AMD made a wise decision. There's going to be a bloodbath. Let the waters settle a little first. And for now, they can concentrate on their core business desktop and mobile CPU's and GPU's.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
hmm i was hoping bobcat would make a mobile phone/tablet iteration, guess i was wrong. eventually they'll enter it but probably a good buisness decition to wait and see how the tablet wars go then enter with thier cpu/gpu fusion chips and clean up ... maybe

zogglet

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
Yet another example of why I'm an AMD loyalist - their consistent practical approach when it comes to jumping on bandwagons.

Status
Not open for further replies.