skulltac

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
Hey guys I got TF2 a couple months ago and really enjoyed it and just recently built a new PC.

Here are the specs.

GPU: ATI HIS 6870
CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 455 3.30GHz
RAM: Some type of Crucial DDR3 4GB
PSU: Some type of 750watt
MB: Biostar A770E3

So basically I'm having FPS problems. The problems only happen during a gunfight in an open area but I'm pretty sure that with my specs I sohludent be getting any FPS problems. Also it dosent matter what I change the settings to if the game is on all low then my FPS is still dropping to like 40 during gun fights. I've tried reinstalling the game and reinstalling Steam but had no luck. I just finished reinstalling my OS and I'm downloading TF2 again right now so I'll tell you guys if it is still fucked up after that. But until then do you guys have any suggestions as to what I could try doing. Also I have v-sync off and multicore rendering turned on so those arent the problems.

skulltac

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
I know that it's fine but it should be staying constantly above 60fps that why I built this PC so I could experience that. My PC works fine on games like Just Cause 2 and some other deamnding games but on TF2 it's just not right.

skulltac

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
Anyone???? This is really irritating me. Also it would appear that this is only games that I get off of steam, Counter strike source stays above 60 but not by much so yeah.

Mithness

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
Uhh Do you have Muitlcore Rendering on? Try Disabling it. Your Lucky though my TF2 I so Fucked up I can't even play it. Constant Stuttering (with a pretty decent setup)

Anyways Maybe that'll fix it if you have it enabled.

skulltac

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
Well I diabled that and I didn't see much of a gain. I might have even seen a decrease but idk. I have a steam support ticket open but they take forever to answer so I'm just getting impatient!

dai_katana

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

How do you disable that and how does it help. I am also facing similar stuttering issues (fps drops but mine drops to around 20-15 fps...)

skulltac

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011

Well it's in the advanced video section but it's turned off by default. It's supposed to actually help peoples FPS that's why I have it turned on but that turned out not to be the problem I just left it on.

Mithness

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
Yea, Valve have even said it's caused problems before, and @dai_katana I haven't fixed my problem so I can't help you. I wish I could play but whatever

And I Aplogize Skulltac I have nothing I'm going to look around a bit and try and find something to help. Right now i'm out of ideas.

-Mithness

Mithness

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
Lol, Okay I was reading one thing an a guy had a gtx 470, and his FPS was crap. And the reason was one of two things.

First: he had his GPU in the second PCIE slot because there were wires in the way before, he then moved it.
Second: He made sure that he plugged the 6pin into his graphics card and in his post he said "when i was checking if they were secure it clicked in, I think"

He said both of those in the same post and said his problem had disappeared. Could you possibly do both of those things? I doubt this is it but aleast give it a try.

skulltac

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
I've already been messing around with that stuff before but that wasn't it. I don't think it's the card though because I was able to run a pirated version of just cause 2 perfectly. Constantly above 60fps. I think, for me at least, it is just a problem with steam.

Mithness

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
Yea I know what you mean though I've got a problem with TF2 and GTA 4. yet I can play any other game perfectly fine.

Whatever Uhh, Could you possibly monitor your temps? GPU,CPU, ETC

(I Know TF2 is a CPU based so I'm wondering maybe your CPU is running alittle hot)

Also what type of 750 Watt PSU?
Brand Is what I mean? is it a quality brand or some cheap brand? Just wondering (this probably isn't it)

skulltac

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
My PSU isn't a brand that I'm familiar with it's a Zephyr but there were a ton of reviews saying it was great so I just went with it.

Also could you recommend CPU monitoring tool because I can't find one. Also my GPU temps were fine I was already checking those.