Your question
Closed

Lenovo Charger with 4 Built-in USB Ports is Genius

Last response: in News comments
September 15, 2010 12:04:27 AM

That's customer feedback at its best.
Score
September 15, 2010 12:07:48 AM

Yay more ways to charge our digital trinkets while charging the laptop.
Score
Related resources
September 15, 2010 12:11:54 AM

Apple is gonna get the credit and call it "magic"
Score
September 15, 2010 12:12:56 AM

Lots of the universal chargers have been doing this for a while now. Though not four, not bad.
Score
September 15, 2010 12:17:57 AM

That is actually a really good idea. Whoever came up with this deserves a raise
Score
September 15, 2010 12:38:53 AM

I like this. I think every company should follow now.
Score
September 15, 2010 12:48:49 AM

half expensive
half power
half usb

expensive power usb exists! super cereal
Score
September 15, 2010 1:27:29 AM

I wonder if they're actual "powered" USB ports and not just feeding power off the usb connected.
Score
September 15, 2010 2:23:11 AM

They are for powering devices that charge off of USB and also gives full USB connectivity to up to four devices. A four port hub that doesn't have additional power besides drawing off the host port will almost always cause problems with more than 2 devices connected (or even just one external HD).

Two thumbs up to Lenovo for actually listening to customers' feedback and implementing it in a simple yet ingenious way. Other universal adapters have done this but the fact that it's built into the standard adapter that comes with the computer is great. Now you don't have to lose your original adapter and wait to replace it to gain this extra functionality.

It's so simple yet no one thought of it until now. I love when a company comes up with a feature that we didn't even realize we needed. Any laptop without this built in will soon be behind.

One or two less cords to trip on and keep neat for the win!
Score
September 15, 2010 2:40:11 AM

chessApple is gonna get the credit and call it "magic"

In 2 years and it'll be considered revolutionary.
Score
September 15, 2010 2:43:48 AM

the real trick would be to use the usb port as the power brick's interface to charge the battery.

talk about standardizing power connectors. usb ports are smart, there could be some type of data transmit to ensure the 'correct' (or a correct enough) brick was charging the battery. get on it, guys.
Score
September 15, 2010 3:23:31 AM

Great idea! Another one of those "why didn't I think of that myself" solutions. Every other company should be ashamed of themselves for not listening to their customers more.

And KUDOs to Lenovo! I'll buy one if they have one for my Tosh.
Score
September 15, 2010 3:31:01 AM

Quick! Patent it, wait 5 years for every company to use it, then sue them all!
Score
September 15, 2010 3:58:00 AM

stingstangQuick! Patent it, wait 5 years for every company to use it, then sue them all!

This. Lmao.
Score
September 15, 2010 4:18:25 AM

Impressive. Getting powered USB ports in something you will be carrying around anyway is amazing. Lenovo once again proves why they are the kings of mobile computing.
Score
September 15, 2010 4:35:52 AM

I actually leave that brick under my desk which makes using those usb ports a bit difficult. If the usb ports can still provide power without the laptop being plugged in then it might still be worth it. If not then I might as well use a rubber band and tie a usb hub around my power adapter.
Score
September 15, 2010 4:50:52 AM

they just extend the usb port, very good idea.
Score
September 15, 2010 5:46:31 AM

Ever since the magsafe power adaptor was a "DUH" moment for one company, this may be a great selling factor for Lenovo. GRATS on having a good "duh" moment in innovation and design :-)
Score
September 15, 2010 7:16:31 AM

of course the chinese could not do with a SINGLE proprietary USB/power cord from the adapter to the laptop.
They had to have the two cord mess and use up a perfectly good usb slot.
Anyhow, apple will show you how this is done properly shortly.
Score
September 15, 2010 7:16:59 AM

of course the chinese could not do with a SINGLE proprietary USB/power cord from the adapter to the laptop.
They had to have the two cord mess and use up a perfectly good usb slot.
Anyhow, apple will show you how this is done properly shortly.
Score
September 15, 2010 7:40:40 AM

I hope that soon every new laptop comes with a charger like this!
Score
September 15, 2010 10:15:22 AM

Hey Jane, do you know if they are powered USB ports sucking from the wall or are they just providing whatever power the one USB slot is providing?
Score
September 15, 2010 10:43:42 AM

successof course the chinese could not do with a SINGLE proprietary USB/power cord from the adapter to the laptop.They had to have the two cord mess and use up a perfectly good usb slot.Anyhow, apple will show you how this is done properly shortly.

Somebody patent this, before Apple gets their hands on it!
Also, an adapter would be nice, to connect from the proprietary connector to standard power+usb.
Even better, move the usb hub up from the brick, along the cable, somewhere close to the laptop's connector so you can leave the brick under the desck (this is about uncluttering anyway).
Score
September 15, 2010 11:18:09 AM

chessApple is gonna get the credit and call it "magic"

More specifically, it is going to change the charging port and add a few pins for usb connectivity. Combine the 2 cables into one magnetic cable plug, add 4 usb slots on the apple square (USB 2 of course)

Call it magic or iCharger Pro and charge it $169
Score
September 15, 2010 11:19:44 AM

Haven't seen all posts now my idea seems less original :S
Score
September 15, 2010 11:41:55 AM

Count me in
Score
September 15, 2010 11:44:07 AM

3 standard USB ports transfer data and charge devices
1 dedicated power port charges devices, including most mobile phones
Score
September 15, 2010 11:50:39 AM

I have a feeling my Acer is going to blow soon(it getting real buggy). I think this alone is enough to make me change to lenovo. I really never liked charging my mp3 through my TVs usb port, and I really hate having to turn on my laptop o charge my other usb devices. This is truely genius. I hope Apple would take cue on this, toward a more consumer friendly approach.
Score
September 15, 2010 1:35:19 PM

It would've been a little more convenient if the charging jack on the notebook had the USB right next to it, so both cables could plug into the laptop right next to eachother, instead of on opposite sides.
Score
September 15, 2010 1:41:07 PM

This is not a new idea/occurrence by any means. I've seen such adapters for years.
Score
September 15, 2010 2:40:34 PM

mavroxurIt would've been a little more convenient if the charging jack on the notebook had the USB right next to it, so both cables could plug into the laptop right next to eachother, instead of on opposite sides.

There are about 30 different Lenovo Notebook styles and many are using the same basic designs from years ago, especially the ThinkPADs... many of them do NOT have USB next to the power connector. On my ThinkPads, no.

Now, I am setting up a low-cost Lenovo notebook, the G560 ($600 - i5/4GB/320HD) and it does have the USB right next to the power supply connector. but I don't think it was done for this product... only the lower end Lenovos have side-mounted power connectors. This USB/Power HUB has a Velcro-strap to adjust the two connectors (I'd recommend you buy 1-2 more straps for $2) - also ThinkPad and Lenovo G's are not compatible, PSU wise.
Score
September 15, 2010 3:09:35 PM

bsbsbsbsI wonder if they're actual "powered" USB ports and not just feeding power off the usb connected.

I'm wondering the same thing. It should be able to draw power from the brick, but is it just a dummy 4 port hub? If I can plug in the brick and charge using the USB ports without the laptop that makes this thing much more useful.

mavroxurIt would've been a little more convenient if the charging jack on the notebook had the USB right next to it

I had the same thought when I saw the picture but this is a charger for existing notebooks and isn't a change in the notebook design to include this charger. Hopefully future laptops will include a USB port right next to the power for this system.
Score
September 15, 2010 3:19:11 PM

successof course the chinese could not do with a SINGLE proprietary USB/power cord from the adapter to the laptop.They had to have the two cord mess and use up a perfectly good usb slot.Anyhow, apple will show you how this is done properly shortly.

your nuts, this is perfect, i can now hook up my blackberry phone and charge/update contacts list and appointment book, memory stick (or my mp3 player that sports 10gb and doubles as my external HD), all in one printer/scanner/fax, a wireless mouse/presentaion pointer and projector (or to the 42" tv in the conference room) and i can do this all at the same time.
Score
September 15, 2010 4:06:53 PM

I would gladly pay $10 more just to offset the cost of these chargers. Every maker should be doing this, not just Lenovo!
Score
September 15, 2010 5:20:27 PM

f-14your nuts, this is perfect

He is missing the point that this is an add on adapter for existing notebooks. At some point they will move the USB port closer and after that a single plug/port with the hub available on the power brick. Who knows what other ports they will start adding to the brick at that point. HDMI maybe?
Score
September 15, 2010 5:22:37 PM

I just jizzed in my pants.
Score
September 15, 2010 6:15:33 PM

Apple will remake this. It will be the iCable. Plug in one proprietary cable that will do usb and power. Right next to their other bullshit non conventional ports, thin firewire, mini display, etc.
Score
September 15, 2010 7:39:39 PM

stingstangQuick! Patent it, wait 5 years for every company to use it, then sue them all!

rambus probably beat ya to it
Score
September 15, 2010 8:14:38 PM

mikem_90Lots of the universal chargers have been doing this for a while now. Though not four, not bad.

Never saw a universal charger with an usb hub. I've seen some universal chargers that allows connection to usb devices for charging, but that's it.
Score
September 15, 2010 8:14:56 PM

The better design would be to make the USB hub built as a part of the battery pack in the laptop so you have extra hubs with or without a power cord.
Score
September 15, 2010 10:01:15 PM

pythyI actually leave that brick under my desk which makes using those usb ports a bit difficult. If the usb ports can still provide power without the laptop being plugged in then it might still be worth it. If not then I might as well use a rubber band and tie a usb hub around my power adapter.

I don't think it gives you much cable length to put the brick under the table. I'd guess that it's a foot at most between the brick and the laptop.
Score
September 16, 2010 5:36:03 AM

I see your point but just imagine the nightmare of finding a universal adapter to fit your laptop if it had some crazy port for both ac power and USB connectivity. At least with this setup, there's a standard (relatively) power jack and standard USB ports still. No reason you couldn't use a universal adapter if the need arose when traveling or in a pinch.
Score
!