Last response: in Video Games
August 3, 2011 2:07:47 AM

Hello,
I would like to know how good my pc is.
processor: amd 64 x2 dual core 5200+ 2.60 GHz

ram:3.5gb

32 bit windows vista home premium

video card: ATI radeon hd 5570 1gb.
also, on device manager it has the processor on there twice. But when I right click computer and go to properties, its only there once.
So, is it good for gaming?

More about : good gaming

August 3, 2011 2:47:34 AM

>32-bit
>Windows Vista

nop

...jk

processor is fine, but would be better if it was 3.0GHz+ on dual core

RAM: dudewat... how did you get 3.5GB? 2+1+0.5? (if thats the case, I'd love you forever for the lulz)

32-bit and windows vista is kinda bad, imaging having the most disgusting bread and meat in the world, now put them together to make a sandwitch... thats kinda what your OS is right now, but Home Prem is good, so you get some fresh delicious mayo.

Video Card: Radeon HD 5570 1GB is one of the worst cards in 2011, but still good enough to play most games on decent settings without lag.

the device manager thing is probably saying you have 2 cores on your CPU. or maybe you have a lizard that crawled in and is functioning like a CPU for you

yes its good for gaming, even though you should consider an upgrade for the OS if you can, and you might need to upgrade your CPU as well, which might also requires a new motherboard..... or you can just play games on that computer the way it is right now, it looks fine.
m
l
August 3, 2011 6:11:52 AM

What does changing the processor really do for gaming? Besides compatability with older games and shtuff. Also, yea I can play most games right now, but not all. For example I have gta iv (with trainer and first person mod) and the graphics have to be low as possible to run without lag. So, if I get a better processor will that be enough to play it with decent settings? Also, could you direct to me to a good one to get. a good what ever else you tihnk I need, so I dont make the mistake I seem to have made with the radeon?
Also, I technically have 4 gb ram, but its 32 bit, so it can only use 3 and a half.
p.s. you didnt actually say if the ram was good.....
m
l
Related resources
August 3, 2011 6:54:26 AM

camsavv said:
What does changing the processor really do for gaming? Besides compatability with older games and shtuff. Also, yea I can play most games right now, but not all. For example I have gta iv (with trainer and first person mod) and the graphics have to be low as possible to run without lag. So, if I get a better processor will that be enough to play it with decent settings? Also, could you direct to me to a good one to get. a good what ever else you tihnk I need, so I dont make the mistake I seem to have made with the radeon?
Also, I technically have 4 gb ram, but its 32 bit, so it can only use 3 and a half.
p.s. you didnt actually say if the ram was good.....

What you have to understand about GTA and APB for that matter (Although APB really emphasizes on this) is that they load a lot of textures. Like enough that APB takes up 2.5 gigs of ram to run on its own, some people say it takes 3 or more, which doesn't leave much left. GTA functions almost the same way, but it does do a better job at optimizing. But with your 3.5 gigs of RAM, (not sure what you did there) your computer probably isn't properly recognizing all of it, so I assume it's acting more like 2.5 gigs or less. It's always best to match up RAM sizes, to get the best performance. So in my opinion, to up performance in GTA, get 2, 2 gig sticks or more.
m
l
August 3, 2011 6:57:30 AM

4gb of ram is good, what are their frequencies though?

I recommend the i5-2500K with a P67 or Z68 MoBo(I like either ASUS or ASRock)

for GPU, get a single Radeon HD6950(get the 1GB version if you are short on budget)
if you want to Crossfire, get HD6850 CF or HD6950 CF(a bit costly)

also, get 64-bit version of Windows 7 Home Prem, it costs $100 for the OEM version
m
l
August 3, 2011 7:03:52 AM

The CPU is a bit dated, but adequate for playing games. Upgrading to a faster CPU means it will bottleneck the video card less. Therefore, if you install a more powerful video card, then the CPU will not be holding it back. Generally, speaking though you should see some improvements in frame rates especially for a CPU that is somewhat dated like yours.

The real increase in performance comes from the video card as long as the CPU is not too slow to serious affect performance. Your video card is limiting your game performance more than your CPU. Therefore, if you were to only upgrade one thing, then your best bang for the buck would be to upgrade the HD 5570.

It's all about the right balance. The CPU processes thing that happens in the environment like the physics of what happens when there's an explosion and the game engine's artificial intelligence. If the CPU is slow, then it needs more time to process. This slows down the video card because the video card must wait for things to happen in the environment of the game before it can actually display things on the screen. Conversely, if the video card is too slow, then the CPU must wait for the video card to render the environment, then the CPU can proceed with it's calculations. That's a bit over simplistic, but in essence that's what happens.

GTA 4 is an example of a poorly ported console game. You need a good CPU and video card to really be able to play the game. A quad core CPU is recommended, however, you can play with a dual core CPU if you are willing to sacrifice some performance. I would say you'll get better performance with upgrading the video than the CPU. However, upgrading both is highly recommended if you want good performance and more eye candy.
m
l
August 5, 2011 11:03:48 AM

foverosiv said:

RAM: dudewat... how did you get 3.5GB? 2+1+0.5? (if thats the case, I'd love you forever for the lulz)

2GB + 1GB + 512MB perhaps, he didn't mention Dual Channel so I guess thats the only way to get that sum.

I don't know if he can just do GPU and RAM upgrades for now and wait until Q2 2012 for the IVYBRIDGE instead of spending copious amounts on the 2500k and a cooling unit.

Sandybridge has made things difficult in that a) if you don't buy a K series then it is also irrelevent buying a UD4+ range motherboard, you may as well just buy a standard H61 or H67(USB3) mobo as you get the same......hopefully with Ivybridge they fixed this.

m
l
August 5, 2011 11:32:25 AM

Well as far as the processor is concerned it is fine but overall config not holds the compatibility for PC gaming, a few upgradations required.
m
l
August 5, 2011 12:04:59 PM

"Upgradations"
m
l
August 7, 2011 1:02:51 PM

every game will play
m
l
August 7, 2011 5:36:29 PM

foverosiv said:
4gb of ram is good, what are their frequencies though?

I recommend the i5-2500K with a P67 or Z68 MoBo(I like either ASUS or ASRock)

for GPU, get a single Radeon HD6950(get the 1GB version if you are short on budget)
if you want to Crossfire, get HD6850 CF or HD6950 CF(a bit costly)

also, get 64-bit version of Windows 7 Home Prem, it costs $100 for the OEM version

a little over the top dont you think? you might take your post down a notch as vista is not a horrible OS and 32 bit explains his ram but yet you bashed his pc for lack of knowledge.
m
l
August 22, 2011 7:12:56 PM

It can run any game that is out now just not at high settings
m
l
August 22, 2011 7:28:18 PM

He has 4 gig of ram, but since the OS is 32 bit, ~1/2gig is reserved for hardware, leaving him with 3.5Gig.

No one even asked what resolutuion you play at. For resolutions like 1280x1024 and lower I would think that computer is fine. of course, if you have a nice widescreen I'd at least try to OC that cpu up to around 3 ghz.
m
l
!