How a videogame REMAKE is created?

PeteG_22

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Ok, I like video games, I'm thinking about studying computer science and I want to know if it's possible to make a game from an existing one for the PC platform. Could a hacker / programmer made a videogame remake of a console game (or and old PC game) for the PC? (NOT consoles)

EXAMPLE 1:
Resident Evil 2, and Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, I'm NOT talking about emulation, or just a port of a game, I'm talking about a real REMAKE like the Resident Evil 1 for GameCube.

Could a hacker / programmer remade those games? Could he extract all the script of the game, the character voices/ dialogues and make his/her own 3D models and animation?

Or could he use an existing Game Engine, animations and adapt them to their own game? (Again I'm not talking about just mod the PC version of RE2, RE3 and inject new textures).

IDEA: Pick something from other games. You know like using some high resolutions textures from Crysis, using the 3D Models of Resident Evil 5, and using the Facial Motion Capture of Heavy Rain from PS3. Could this be possible?

EXAMPLE 2:
Could a hacker/ programmer remade Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater with the MGS4: Guns of the Patriots graphics? And also implement some incredible physics like Havok or hardware accelerated PhysX? (or whatever high tech Physics Engine at the moment).

And finally release the fan remake ANONYMOUSLY in the Internet, to avoid legal issues with Capcom, Konami, etc.

I think you get the picture: Just enhance the graphics and physics of the game, but using all the original dialogues, music, game script, game design, etc.

Is this possible? How many people would be required?
Do you know if this idea has been done in the past?

P.S: Please don’t say me things like those games are boring, it’s not worth your time, etc. I am just curious, and I want to know if it’s possible or not.

MysticMiner

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Is it possible? Sure. If you want examples of it being done, try Exult for Ultima 7, the Ultima V Lazarus project or the ports done for the King's Quest/Quest for Glory series.

I don't know if your specific examples can be done, or how much work it would take though.