Sign in with
Your question

Changing Mobo and Cpu

Last response: in Motherboards
July 11, 2001 10:19:45 PM

I'm currently running a 800mhz duron w/ a gigabyte mobo.(GA 7IXE4) and i'm pondering upgrading to a 1.2 ghz athlon 266fsb and a IWill(kk266r).My question is, will i need to do a complete format and reload of win 98se, or will plug and pray take over? And can anyone offer advice on my choices.. I'm looking for a fast & stable board and the possibilty of overclocking down the road(once i learn more about it). Thanks in advance... Joe

More about : changing mobo cpu

July 11, 2001 11:31:43 PM

Assuming your new mobo uses a VIA chipset (fairly safe bet with a Athlon system) download the VIA 4 in 1 version 4.32 chipset drivers (or whatever chipset drivers depending on your final choice of mobo) before you do the upgrade. You probably will not have to reformat your hard drive (unless you want to ?). Win98SE is pretty good at avoiding device conflicts after a mobo upgrade. I did say pretty good. after you get it to gether and boot it up for the first time, it should find any new devices that weren't present on your old mobo. After it finishes the installation phase and reboots, check the Device Manager for multiple listings of the same Device (typically under the System Devices). Delete any devices with multiple listings(any and all listings) and reboot. After that you SHOULD be all set.

Good luck.

"This was no boating accident"
July 12, 2001 1:33:23 AM

The KK266 and ASUS AV7133 seem to the the best of the KT133a chipset boards. I've had good luck with my KK266R so far. I recommend the KK266 FAQ at <A HREF="http://fullon3d.com/kk266faq/kk266faq.shtml" target="_new">http://fullon3d.com/kk266faq/kk266faq.shtml&lt;/A> as a great place to start in setting up a new KK266. There seem to be some USB problems that people can't resolve and the KK266 seems to lack adequate power for some hungry AGP cards. Each board seems to have some strengths and weaknesses, none perfect.

BW

the more I learn, the less I'm sure I know... :eek: 
!