Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Gaming Headset help me out please <3

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Headsets
  • Headphones
  • Gaming
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
August 4, 2011 12:53:24 AM

Hey guys so my stupid platronics headphones are crapping out on me because i get sound in one ear and the band snapped long ago so it's duct taped right now but anyway i'm looking for a new set of headphones with a mic, my budget is about 60-100 anywhere around there is fine and i live in Canada so if you could help me find some stores that do free shipping or less for Canadians etc. Also for the headset itself it should not be stereo because nobody likes stereo in gaming lol should be surround and if possible closed ear. I've been searching for weeks and weeks to try and finalize but maybe you guys can help me out?

tl;dr

Budget is around $60-100
Canadian
Closed Ear preferred not required
Surround not Stereo.
Must be headset (that means it comes with a mic lol)

Thanks :bounce: 

edit: i think my motherboard's soundcard can handle all the way up to 7.1 channel i believe it's a GA-880GMA-UD2H Gigabyte correct me if i'm wrong lol

More about : gaming headset

August 4, 2011 6:41:58 AM

I strongly suggest getting a headphone not a headset, headphones tends to have better quality than headsets while in the same price and you can always just buy a clip-on mic and the quality will usually be better than a headset, while remaining in the same price, if not cheaper
m
0
l
August 4, 2011 7:02:01 AM

Well, obviously your answer is a Roccat Kave headset. 5.1 Channel (with own amplifier and x-overs), voice morphing, noise canceling headset with microphone and separate equalizer. It's a pretty decent headset, I've used one on more than one occasion and it's pretty loud, clear and damn awesome.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
August 4, 2011 1:20:48 PM

Razer RZ04-00270100-R3M1 Carcharias Gaming Headset 2.1 Stereo Sound
m
0
l
August 5, 2011 12:15:44 AM

Uther39 said:
Razer RZ04-00270100-R3M1 Carcharias Gaming Headset 2.1 Stereo Sound



heard that headset is garbage, i'm still trying to do my research lol and it's not surround quit trolling :-(

Toxxyc said:
Well, obviously your answer is a Roccat Kave headset. 5.1 Channel (with own amplifier and x-overs), voice morphing, noise canceling headset with microphone and separate equalizer. It's a pretty decent headset, I've used one on more than one occasion and it's pretty loud, clear and damn awesome.


thanks man i'll check it out, do you own the headset; are there any downfalls to it? lol

edit: yeah uh those aren't available in Canada or the US so i dont know how i'd even purchase those lmao.. unless you can help me find a site to buy them cause i have searched and searched now
m
0
l
August 5, 2011 5:30:06 AM

I don't own it myself, but a good friend does. I've used it several times already, and the only thing I dislike a little about the headset is that it's a bit heavy. Heavy, but not any more than other headsets in its class.

And with regards to it not being sold, it's quite funny. I can't find it on NewEgg or Amazon. Found it on eBay here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROCCAT-Kave-Solid-5-1-Surround-Soun...

Feel free to search further for other prices and stuff.
m
0
l
August 5, 2011 1:44:25 PM

Don't buy Headsets. Buy normal headphones.

I had this problem once. I was considering Koss UR40 or Creative HS-800 Fatal1y. Though fatal1ty headset was design for gamers especially it was simply crappy once compared to Koss UR40.

Koss's headphones have way better sound quality, they're more comfortable (you can sit with them all day long and you won't feel a thing) and they have open construction so your ears won't sweat that much
m
0
l
August 5, 2011 2:37:02 PM

I have used the following -

Speedlink Medusa
http://www.ebuyer.com/106186-speedlink-sl-8793-medusa-n...
I had the slightly older model, thought they were awesome, very good 5.1 sound so you can tell when someone is coming for your tags. Mine broke when I accidentally sat on them.

Then I moved onto these -
Creative Fatality Gaming headset
http://www.ebuyer.com/128208-creative-fatal1ty-gaming-h...
Needed a cheaper pair of headphones as was a bit poor, again these are also very good for the money, no 5.1 but sound quality was great. These broke when my 4 year old got hold of them. I beat him thoroughly tho so all good ;) 

I am currently using these -
Corsair HS1
http://www.ebuyer.com/237504-corsair-hs1-gaming-audio-s...
These are USB powered but the sound quality is amazing so don't be put off. Software based surround sound but found it quite effective. My best pair of headphones yet :) 

Im not an audiophile but found all of these headphones were great for movies and games (mainly FPS). Im sure people will say that USB based headphones are cr@p (a lot are) but I think the corsair's are awesome.
cheers
m
0
l
August 5, 2011 3:45:01 PM

click for larger image



refer to this chart when purchasing, also DON'T get headsets. I don't care if you are a gaming and want the mic, get a seperate one. headsets are crap. headphones give WAY better sound quality.
m
0
l
August 5, 2011 4:45:53 PM

i just think that buying a mic seperate would be more of a hassle having the extra wires and the quality would be worse, if not even more expensive since i'd have to pay more for the mic
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 5, 2011 5:30:51 PM

Poppinfreshh said:
heard that headset is garbage, i'm still trying to do my research lol and it's not surround quit trolling :-(



thanks man i'll check it out, do you own the headset; are there any downfalls to it? lol

edit: yeah uh those aren't available in Canada or the US so i dont know how i'd even purchase those lmao.. unless you can help me find a site to buy them cause i have searched and searched now



GARBAGE ! I DONT THINK SO ! I DONT KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN READING ?

But hey don't take my word, or experience, read this instead....
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/peripherals/2011/01/21...
Razer Carcharias Review
Manufacturer: Razer
UK Price (as reviewed): £69.99 (inc VAT)
US Price (as reviewed): $69.84 (ex tax)
Preferred Partner Price: £70.75 (inc VAT)

The Razer Carcharias just missed out on an award when we looked at it for the first time a year ago, losing out to the Creative Sound Blaster Arena. The latter has unfortunately been discontinued, with Creative releasing new Sound Blaster headsets which we'll be looking at in the very near future.

The Carcharias is practically the same headset as the much more expensive Megalodon - they have the same headband and cups, both have 40mm drivers and the same stated frequency response range. The main difference is the inline remote as the Carcharias has simple volume and microphone adjustment where as the Megalodon has the Maelstrom Audio Engine - essentially an external 7.1 channel sound card. The latter is also connects via USB while the Carcharias uses standard 3.5mm headphone and microphone jacks at the end of a 3m braided cable.



Click to enlarge


Comfort-wise, the Carcharias is on par with the best headsets, with its circumaural ear cushions providing a perfect fit which doesn't squish your head. They do leak a little sound, but only at high volumes, a price that's worth paying for such epic comfort.

In games the Carcharias produced a superb range of throaty bass tones whilst giving our ears a good workout with clear mid- and high-tones too. Music was fantastic overall, with riffs that were clear and rich from top to bottom, although on occasions it did lack the booming base of other headsets we've seen recently.



Movies were much the same story, although the Carcharius did claw some ground back here with its brilliant range in the low-end with clear and discernible differences. This made listening to the booming cannon fire and explosions in the Master and Commander ship battle scene we used for testing a real pleasure.

Conclusion
If you've got a decent sound card and want the best gaming headset to plug into it, the Carcharias is our firm favourite. The Crarcharias doesn't have a booming bassline, but deals with low-level bass sounds in a more sophisticated way which isn't lacking in punch. It's extremely comfortable to wear too, an important consideration for lengthy gaming sessions.

Sound Quality10/10
Design9/10
Value9/10
Overall9/10
Score Guide


Razer Carcharias
m
0
l

Best solution

August 6, 2011 1:35:08 AM

Poppinfreshh said:
i just think that buying a mic seperate would be more of a hassle having the extra wires and the quality would be worse, if not even more expensive since i'd have to pay more for the mic


I don't know why you would EVER think that the quality would be worse and be more expensive. in fact, the quality will be WAY better than the headset if you buy the separately AND you get to pay less. yes you would have to deal with 1 extra wire (oh gee, one extra wire) but you can always just use zipties if you are seriously that paranoid about extra wires ( if you didn't know, the headsets' wire is just two wires glued together)

just a tip on mic buying, any named-brand mic should do the job. and DON'T buy those $100 "gaming" microphone, you are just paying $90 extra because they putted in that word "Gaming". the quality on those might be better, but it really doesn't matter, the only difference will probably be that if you buy the $100 mic, your teamates get to hear you neighbor's dog barking like a herpatits patient

also, I STRONGLY recommend Audio Technica AD-700, especially if you are gaming, ( they work very well for music listening too )
Share
August 6, 2011 3:18:20 AM

foverosiv said:
I don't know why you would EVER think that the quality would be worse and be more expensive. in fact, the quality will be WAY better than the headset if you buy the separately AND you get to pay less. yes you would have to deal with 1 extra wire (oh gee, one extra wire) but you can always just use zipties if you are seriously that paranoid about extra wires ( if you didn't know, the headsets' wire is just two wires glued together)

just a tip on mic buying, any named-brand mic should do the job. and DON'T buy those $100 "gaming" microphone, you are just paying $90 extra because they putted in that word "Gaming". the quality on those might be better, but it really doesn't matter, the only difference will probably be that if you buy the $100 mic, your teamates get to hear you neighbor's dog barking like a herpatits patient

also, I STRONGLY recommend Audio Technica AD-700, especially if you are gaming, ( they work very well for music listening too )


Well i can see where you are coming from for this quality of sound but for the quality of the mic which i need to be good i just picture it being shotty or bad, picking up background noises and me being quiet cause its pinned to my shirt or its on a stand on my desk. It just seems like i'd have to be putting my neck down to talk into the mic on my shirt or leaning forward to my desk when all i want to do is just talk after i hit my push to talk. do you have a mic you recommend, as i am still taking your advice into consideration and everyone elses :D 
m
0
l
August 6, 2011 3:09:07 PM

yes, the cheapest trusted brand mic they sell in Wal-Mart or Costco. ( like logitec or sony, whatever brand you trust)

1.) use Push to Talk if you complain about back-ground noise.
2.) adjust sensitivity to not have the need to lean forward when talking.
3.) unless you are playing in an engine room in USS.SuperLoudEngines, people won't hear the background noises. ( yes they still might hear your dog barking, but they still comes up with your headset
4.)make a cone out of cardboard or paper and wrap it around your mic if you can't stand those background noises, the cone will block out most of them, if not all. ( unless you have a dog in your lap barking into the mic while you are trying to talk.)
5.) if you still have background noise, then I guess its time to close your windows. or get some better fans that doesn't sound like a Boeing-747

Warning: DON'T EVER get wireless mics, in fact, I wouldn't recommend wireless anything, especially for gaming.
m
0
l
August 6, 2011 3:44:33 PM

You know the sad part about the whole conversation is the lack of comments on Lenovo products.
I swear by them. I own a Lenovo headphone with mic which is the best headset I have ever owned. I got them for 30 bucks. The outperform alot of different brands i have tried and the build quality is excellent.
Granted they may not be high end enough for you, but they work excellently in all my gaming and multimedia applications.
I love Lenovo products. They have never failed me and they are affordable and the build quality is excellent.
m
0
l
August 10, 2011 7:49:18 AM

hey guys im still looking for a headset if anyone could help those razer carch's look ok but its only 2.1 stereo i dont think 2.1 stereo would be good for games is it? like will it sound surround-like (hearing things expload around me not just like infront of me, or a sniper to my left behind me not just sniper shots)


Uther39 said:
GARBAGE ! I DONT THINK SO ! I DONT KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN READING ?

But hey don't take my word, or experience, read this instead....
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/peripherals/2011/01/21... ...

m
0
l
August 10, 2011 8:35:17 AM

2-channel audio is fine for gaming. I'd actually only consider 5.1 or something when watching movies. It's easy to use 2-channel audio in games to detect direction, you simply look around and the sound direction will change as well. It's not rocket science.
m
0
l
August 10, 2011 8:36:46 AM

Toxxyc said:
2-channel audio is fine for gaming. I'd actually only consider 5.1 or something when watching movies. It's easy to use 2-channel audio in games to detect direction, you simply look around and the sound direction will change as well. It's not rocket science.



alright then in that case i'm going to go for those razer headphones as of right now unless i find something nice :kaola: 
m
0
l
August 10, 2011 12:17:43 PM

I already told you :/ 
Audio technica AD700 with a reasonably cheap mic

why won't you listen, or even consider it.
m
0
l
August 10, 2011 2:44:44 PM

I use the Logitech G35 and they are great when they work properly... the price has come down on some sites.
m
0
l
August 10, 2011 6:49:42 PM

foverosiv said:
I already told you :/ 
Audio technica AD700 with a reasonably cheap mic

why won't you listen, or even consider it.


i did consider it and listened. i'm not an audiophile so i don't really care about having a super high end headphones i just want something in the mid range with a mic thats at my mouth not my shirt or desk that i have to make cardboard funnels and stuff lol. it seems like too much of a hassle in my opinion :( 
m
0
l
August 11, 2011 3:48:09 AM

well first of all, Audio Technica AD700 is not only for audiophiles, the wide sound-stage it gives makes it sound like surround sound while on a stereo.

the cardboard funnels is ONLY if you have loud interferences, which I doubt you will. the mic on the table will most likely give you better quality and less interference than the generic "gaming" mic they glued on to your headset. seriously, for the same quality of product, I can get it for way cheaper because one does not have the word "gaming" on it.

also, if you REALLY want that mic next to your constantly breathing mouth/nose (or at least I hope it is) , modify your headphone so that you have a mic extend from the headphones.
m
0
l
August 11, 2011 8:49:29 AM

foverosiv said:
well first of all, Audio Technica AD700 is not only for audiophiles, the wide sound-stage it gives makes it sound like surround sound while on a stereo.

the cardboard funnels is ONLY if you have loud interferences, which I doubt you will. the mic on the table will most likely give you better quality and less interference than the generic "gaming" mic they glued on to your headset. seriously, for the same quality of product, I can get it for way cheaper because one does not have the word "gaming" on it.

also, if you REALLY want that mic next to your constantly breathing mouth/nose (or at least I hope it is) , modify your headphone so that you have a mic extend from the headphones.


well i will consider it again but i guess at the end of the day it just comes down to if i want to take that chance having a mic on my desk and feeling like nobody can hear me :p 
m
0
l
September 15, 2011 11:05:36 PM

Best answer selected by poppinfreshh.
m
0
l
!