G

I have an A7A , 1.4G , 256MB Micron DDR PC2100

Whenever my machine reboots from Win98SE.. it freezes up right after detecting the IDE devices... right before loading the SCSI BIOS

I also have an Adaptec 2940UW SCSI controller in there. Could this be causing my trouble.. I've tried to move the card to different PCI slots, with no effect.

thnkx
WaY

G

Yup when I hard boot.... it's fine.. only when win9x reboots..( Like after installing a driver)it hangs.

I'm running BIOS rev. 1004.. ( I got 1005 beta, should I go for that ?? )

Also ASUS Hardware monitor pops up after running for about and hour with voltage fluctuations on the 5V , and 12V drop down to like 7V.. for a second and then goes back to normal..

Also.. On my Ricoh 12x10x32x8xDVD I can't install any software... I just causes a GPF. But when I use my other 50X cdrom it works fine off the same CD..

I'm really getting P/O with this crap.. never had [-peep-] like this with Intel chipsets... 89

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your voltage fluctuation is probably either caused by line problems or a poor quality/undersized power supply. If you have a good quality 350 watt power supply, I would recommend getting a small UPS just to stablize the voltage (most surge supressors cannot supply additional voltage during a dip, only clipping a spike).
The reason I said 350 watt is because I am hearing horror stories from people running the 1.4GHZ with several cards/drives and a 300 watt unit. In fact, a voltage drop could occur when using your Ricoh unit, simply because it uses more power than the regular CD-ROM. I can't be sure, but these do sound like power problems, be it line or power supply.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

Hmmm, I'm using a 300W PSU... Maybe this could be the problem.. although... Audio CD's play fine on the Ricoh.. but not data.. cable maybe ? hmm.

I'm gonna try and get a 350W PSU ...

2 x IDE HDD
2 x SCSI HDD
2 x CDROM
SB Live
Geforce 3
3COM NIC
Adaptec SCSI controller
3 extra fans..

Seems a bit much for only a 300W PSU.. makes sense...

u recon this could be the cause of my machine not post properly well ?

G

When the machine soft POST , I hangs right before the SCSI BIOS part comes up.. and the HDD led ( SCSI ) says on..

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Computers draw a lot of power at boot, because the CPU is doing all that configuration, BIOs is testing drives and memory, and your SCSI card is testing your SCSI drives, so it is possible that an undersized power supply could cause a boot problem. Whether this is the situation for you I don't know.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

BIOS Rev. 1005__005 Sorted the problem...

My machine is just running really hot.. ( waiting for my thermo Cooler)..

G

I'm also having some POST problems with my A7A. Mine runs o.k. for a while then freezes, and after that seems to be really hard to get it to POST (fans on etc. but no video and no beeps). I've also noticed the Voltage drop on the 12v line, and have been thinking that maybe I do need a bigger Powers supply. Now I'm curious about the BIOS 1005. You say it has fixed your problem. Do you mean that your machine now POSTs no problem with your same power supply under the new BIOS?

Maybe I should try it?

For those reading this who may have other ideas my system is Duron 800, 128Mb SDRAM, 10.2Gb HD, CD-Rom, PCI Riva TNT graphics, and a generic 250W PSU. I thought I had solved my problem by putting a jumper on the VID posts, but then the external Modem (3COM US Robotics 56K Professionsal Message Modem) had both the send and recieve LED's on constant as soon as the PC turned on). Did some fiddling inside the PC, just checked connections, and made sure the board was in securly, and then the modem was o.k. again, though on COM5 !! then on reboot on COM2 (even though it is in COM1???), but now the mdem is fixed, the POST problems are back!!! Could these problems alternatively be a short somewhere, or power supply?

Getting worn down by all this ;-(

Topher Bear

Don't wait for tomorrow! Live for Today! :)

G

For some reason my A7A wasn't happy posting with the Adaptec SCSI controller.. Which BIOS Rev. 1005 Beta5 fixed..
BUT !,

I still get Voltage drops on my 3,12 and 5V.. Also when this happens my CPU temp shoots off the chart for 2~3 seconds and then back to the normal 55~62 deg/c..

I have a 300W PSU and lots of devices with a GF3.. and a T-Bird 1.4.. now I can only assume that this is power related..

So I'm looking @ getting a new case and PSU.. 350 ~ 400W.
and hooking up a UPS.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Also ASUS Hardware monitor pops up after running for about and hour with voltage fluctuations on the 5V , and 12V drop down to like 7V.. for a second and then goes back to normal..
I still get Voltage drops on my 3,12 and 5V.. Also when this happens my CPU temp shoots off the chart for 2~3 seconds and then back to the normal 55~62 deg/c..
How reliable is the ASUS hardware monitor? Just wondering... Personally I'd want to verify the numbers with something else, maybe something like a Compunurse temp. probe. to at least double check the temps. Normal operating temps of 55-62 C sound a bit high...

Also, you could buy a bigger PSU and put it in your existing case. Might save a few bucks... Unless you really WANT a new case.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

OmegaX

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2001
The reason I said 350 watt is because I am hearing horror stories from people running the 1.4GHZ with several cards/drives and a 300 watt unit
I could not agree with you more, the Athlon C Draws a minimum of 60 Watts and a Maximum of 72 Watts. With just a 300 Watt Power Supply (remember that is the max, power supplies do have a +/- tolerance in power, voltage, and amperage output), you could end up with problems if you have more than one CD-ROM, a SCSI Drive (10,000+RPM's!!), and multiple Cards, including modern video cards which have a hefty draw on the PS as well. I am not even using an Athlon and I have an Enermax 350 Watt Power Supply (then again I have about 8 - 10 different fans in my comp). A lot of problems in a computer are caused because of overlooking many features that improve stability such as:

A) Cooling - One of the most overlooked things, the Athlon
draws 60-72 Watts of Power, where does it go? HEAT. You
need to come up with a really good thermal solution, do
not use shims. Remember, to use a good thermal paste, a
solid copper/copper-embeded heatsink, a CPU Fan with a
good CFM and RPM rating. Make sure your case can move
air efficiently, use a large case, rounded IDE cables,
Case fans with a good CFM and RPM rating, a Power Supply
with 2 fans on it to suck air out of your case and vent
it out of the back and a plastic vent to put incoming
air directly onto your cpu. You can also do some case
mods <A HREF="http://www.overclockers.com" target="_new">www.overclockers.com
</A> and if your worried about noise, use low db rated
products that still move air preety well, you can check
out the products at <A HREF="http://www.quietpc.com" target="_new">www.quietpc.com</A>.

B) Power Supplies - The ones with more Wattage and better
+/- tolerances such as <A HREF="http://www.enermax.com.tw" target="_new">Enermax</A> are a necessity to ensure
that everything is getting the power it needs).

C) The Brand of Ram you use - a lot of people pass on good
name ram due to the price, but there is a huge
difference in using a good brand that provides speed and
stability, I recommend <A HREF="http://www.crucial.com" target="_new">Crucial</A>, they seem to provide
high-quality SDRAM and DDR Ram, <A HREF="http://www.corsairmicro.com" target="_new">Corsair</A> also makes high
quality DDR Ram. For RDRAM, I would use [www.hea.com]Hyundai[/url].

D) The Motherboard Brand and Chipset - now unfortunetly for
AMD there are not many viable solutions to that, preety
much all boards use the ALI, SIS or VIA. Current boards
that use the AMD760 is just the Northbridge, the
Southbridge uses a really shitty VIA VT82C686B which was
also used with the VIA KT133A. <A HREF="http://www.asus.com" target="_new">Asus</A> and <A HREF="http://www.abit.com.tw" target="_new">Abit</A> have
always provided the best boards, but personally the
reason why I have not upgraded my system is, because
there has not yet been a more stable chipset than the
440BX and therefore I am staying with it until I find
something better. I have left my system on since I last
upgraded and have never crashed at all, I like to know
that I can depend on my system.

I for one am waiting for the new line of products to hit the market such as:

- AMD Athlon 4
- Intel Pentium 3 Tualatin
- Intel Pentium 4 Northwood
- nVidia nForce Chipset
- Asus TUCSL-C
- Asus A7N266
- Abit KG7-Raid
- DDR Support for the P4
- PC2400 @ CAS2 to become industry standards

I for one will not make any judgement on these products based on the stats alone, I nver have and never will. When the Intel Pentium was released everyone raved about it ahead of time as they did with the P4 saying it is revalutionary, when it came out it barely performed better than a 486. I waited to get a couple in the store before I made any judgements and found it to be correct, but also realized there was not much software/hardware that took advantage of the Pentiums new instruction at the time and companies quickly did so, and the Pentium became a great success. I will say that these new products are going to be exciting and I hope that they will meet my expectations of stability so I can upgrade my system. I hope I was of help (yes, I know I derived from the topic, but it really all relates).

My System: <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=9417" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=9417</A>

G

For those following the moronic ramblings of this newbie bear with his first mobo installation. Problem FINALLY solved.

It WAS a power issue, but it was my own fault. I'd "played" with my PS connector when i'd tried to plug it into my 'cr@ppy' PC chips board, such that I was not getting a proper connection on a couple of my 5v connectos. They were arcing and getting some connection. Looking back at recorded monitoring (in Asus Probe) I was getting a wobbly level from 4.9v down to 4.7v, and the PC crashed when it went below 4.5v. I've re-jigged it and am getting good solid levels, and it is running fine.

I will buy a new supply, for future upgrades, but I don't have to rush...unless someone suggests otherwise.

So i can say again, the A7A is working like a dream, and all problems were my own silly doing!! This, for me, is a good board!

Thanks for everyones help...

Topher Bear

Don't wait for tomorrow! Live for Today! :)

G

Great for you man! after all those lessons in pc engineering we finally arrive at a solution. Interesting viewing.

<font color=blue>Is there</font color=blue><font color=orange> a help group forum</font color=orange><font color=purple> for forum addiction?</font color=purple>