Configuring intnernal JetDirect on LaserJet 4 from BNC to TP

The card is installed, and gives me a link lite on my hub, but the printer
only sees the BNC connection and won't get an IP.

Does anyone know how to configure the J2552A internal print server for the
LaserJet 4 line of printers to work on a twisted pair network?

I *think* I can assign an IP address to the card itself, but it will NEVER
find a network off the Co-Ax connection, so why bother?

I did spend some time on HP's website, and I bet I could pay for support,
but free chat support was making me crazy trying to find it, IF it exists.

-Mr. Poor.
11 answers Last reply
More about configuring intnernal jetdirect laserjet

    And if you are going to tell me it "auto-senses", well it does not. I have
    a link light on the switch to the printer. But the printer only shows the
    port of BNC and the I/O card not ready. (this from the config sheet I
    printed)

    "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > The card is installed, and gives me a link lite on my hub, but the printer
    > only sees the BNC connection and won't get an IP.
    >
    > Does anyone know how to configure the J2552A internal print server for the
    > LaserJet 4 line of printers to work on a twisted pair network?
    >
    > I *think* I can assign an IP address to the card itself, but it will NEVER
    > find a network off the Co-Ax connection, so why bother?
    >
    > I did spend some time on HP's website, and I bet I could pay for support,
    > but free chat support was making me crazy trying to find it, IF it exists.
    >
    > -Mr. Poor.

    What about the various JetDirect setup options available through the printer
    control panel?? ... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 10:00:11 -0400, "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >And if you are going to tell me it "auto-senses", well it does not. I have
    >a link light on the switch to the printer. But the printer only shows the
    >port of BNC and the I/O card not ready. (this from the config sheet I
    >printed)
    >

    >"ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> The card is installed, and gives me a link lite on my hub, but the printer
    >> only sees the BNC connection and won't get an IP.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know how to configure the J2552A internal print server for the
    >> LaserJet 4 line of printers to work on a twisted pair network?
    >>
    >> I *think* I can assign an IP address to the card itself, but it will NEVER
    >> find a network off the Co-Ax connection, so why bother?
    >>
    >> I did spend some time on HP's website, and I bet I could pay for support,
    >> but free chat support was making me crazy trying to find it, IF it exists.
    >>
    >> -Mr. Poor.

    Egg-Xactly. What about them?

    Honestly, if I could figure out the 18 character dot-matrix LED display, and
    it showed something that looked even remotely like what I was looking for, I
    would ~not~ have posted..

    > What about the various JetDirect setup options available through the
    printer
    > control panel?? ... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 10:00:11 -0400, "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    > >And if you are going to tell me it "auto-senses", well it does not. I
    have
    > >a link light on the switch to the printer. But the printer only shows the
    > >port of BNC and the I/O card not ready. (this from the config sheet I
    > >printed)
    > >

    > >"ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> The card is installed, and gives me a link lite on my hub, but the
    printer
    > >> only sees the BNC connection and won't get an IP.
    > >>
    > >> Does anyone know how to configure the J2552A internal print server for
    the
    > >> LaserJet 4 line of printers to work on a twisted pair network?
    > >>
    > >> I *think* I can assign an IP address to the card itself, but it will
    NEVER
    > >> find a network off the Co-Ax connection, so why bother?
    > >>
    > >> I did spend some time on HP's website, and I bet I could pay for
    support,
    > >> but free chat support was making me crazy trying to find it, IF it
    exists.

    > >> -Mr. Poor.

    On the seventh day, ng_reader wrote...

    > And if you are going to tell me it "auto-senses", well it does not. I have
    > a link light on the switch to the printer. But the printer only shows the
    > port of BNC and the I/O card not ready. (this from the config sheet I
    > printed)

    there may have been something you have to do in order to tell the card,
    which connection to use. I don't remember right now, tho. Might have a look
    soon and will check back here.

    You carry the fate of us all little one. - Boromir

    Grüß

    > Grüß
    >
    > "Christian Dürrhauer" <cduerr@geog.fu-berlin.de> wrote in message
    > > On the seventh day, ng_reader wrote...
    > >
    > > > And if you are going to tell me it "auto-senses", well it does not. I
    > have
    > > > a link light on the switch to the printer. But the printer only shows
    > the
    > > > port of BNC and the I/O card not ready. (this from the config sheet I
    > > > printed)
    > > >
    > > there may have been something you have to do in order to tell the card,
    > > which connection to use. I don't remember right now, tho. Might have a
    > look
    > > soon and will check back here.
    > >
    > > --
    > > mit freundlichen Grüßen/with kind regards
    > > Christian Dürrhauer, Institute of Geography, FU Berlin
    > >
    > > You carry the fate of us all little one. - Boromir

    Oh, please do not respond in German. I do not speak or read the language.

    ng_reader wrote:
    > The card is installed, and gives me a link lite on my hub, but the printer
    > only sees the BNC connection and won't get an IP.
    >
    > Does anyone know how to configure the J2552A internal print server for the
    > LaserJet 4 line of printers to work on a twisted pair network?
    >
    > I *think* I can assign an IP address to the card itself, but it will NEVER
    > find a network off the Co-Ax connection, so why bother?
    >
    > I did spend some time on HP's website, and I bet I could pay for support,
    > but free chat support was making me crazy trying to find it, IF it exists.
    >
    > -Mr. Poor.

    Hmmm if I remember correctly(this was years ago) only option of
    configuring J2552A was through LAN connection. When I needed to change
    the port used I connected an old mini hub(4 TP ports + bnc) to it then
    connected hub to laptop via TP. Then use printers test button to print
    out current settings of J2552A(you neec IP from it) and set up network
    settings of laptop to be in same network with J2552A. And telnet to it
    and you can configure it. If I recall correctly this was only option of
    configuring it.

    Tero

    "Tero Kaarlela" <tero.kaarlela@co.inet.fi> wrote in message
    > ng_reader wrote:
    > > The card is installed, and gives me a link lite on my hub, but the
    printer
    > > only sees the BNC connection and won't get an IP.
    > >
    > > Does anyone know how to configure the J2552A internal print server for
    the
    > > LaserJet 4 line of printers to work on a twisted pair network?
    > >
    > > I *think* I can assign an IP address to the card itself, but it will
    NEVER
    > > find a network off the Co-Ax connection, so why bother?
    > >
    > > I did spend some time on HP's website, and I bet I could pay for
    support,
    > > but free chat support was making me crazy trying to find it, IF it
    exists.

    > > -Mr. Poor.
    >

    > Hmmm if I remember correctly(this was years ago) only option of
    > configuring J2552A was through LAN connection. When I needed to change
    > the port used I connected an old mini hub(4 TP ports + bnc) to it then
    > connected hub to laptop via TP. Then use printers test button to print
    > out current settings of J2552A(you neec IP from it) and set up network
    > settings of laptop to be in same network with J2552A. And telnet to it
    > and you can configure it. If I recall correctly this was only option of
    > configuring it.
    >

    > Tero

    I fear you maybe correct. I was on HP's website reading and posting in its
    forum, and pretty much the same answer. Except with the firmware of the
    card, I may NOT be able to telnet to it.

    Whatever the case, I fear it's lost.

    I may go and get a similar card with only twisted pair as an option. Maybe
    that will work.

    Just maybe.....
    Tak

    In article <bqGdnUQmS-NqXW3fRVn-uQ@comcast.com>,
    "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > I fear you maybe correct. I was on HP's website reading and posting in its
    > forum, and pretty much the same answer. Except with the firmware of the
    > card, I may NOT be able to telnet to it.
    >
    > Whatever the case, I fear it's lost.
    >
    > I may go and get a similar card with only twisted pair as an option. Maybe
    > that will work.

    If you have access to an old Macintosh (OS 9 or earlier), you can
    use the LaserJet Utility to configure the card over AppleTalk (either
    EtherTalk or LocalTalk). You will be able to set an IP number and a
    netmask, which will make it possible to Telnet to the machine over
    TCP/IP.
    Nevertheless, are you sure that the front panel of the printer
    won't give you the necessary access? One detail that many people miss
    is that you must select "Config Network = Yes" before you can change
    any network settings.

    --
    M J Dowden <mjdowden@panix.com>
    PGP key: <http://www.panix.com/~mjdowden/keys.shtml>

    Left the card for a 2550A. Only has TP port. Earlier tonight I used HP
    Download Manager, or, who knows what, to upgrade the firmware.

    So, it's networked, for sure.

    However, finding a copy of JetDirect software so I can now print to the
    goddam thing is my next step.

    And the wonderfully overly excessive HP website is, as usual, no help.

    I guess, my meekly pointed question is now, how does an IP address become a
    Print Queue?

    "M J Dowden" <mjdowden@panix.com> wrote in message
    > In article <bqGdnUQmS-NqXW3fRVn-uQ@comcast.com>,
    > "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >

    > > I fear you maybe correct. I was on HP's website reading and posting in
    its
    > > forum, and pretty much the same answer. Except with the firmware of the
    > > card, I may NOT be able to telnet to it.
    > >
    > > Whatever the case, I fear it's lost.
    > >
    > > I may go and get a similar card with only twisted pair as an option.
    Maybe
    > > that will work.
    >

    > If you have access to an old Macintosh (OS 9 or earlier), you can
    > use the LaserJet Utility to configure the card over AppleTalk (either
    > EtherTalk or LocalTalk). You will be able to set an IP number and a
    > netmask, which will make it possible to Telnet to the machine over
    > TCP/IP.
    > Nevertheless, are you sure that the front panel of the printer
    > won't give you the necessary access? One detail that many people miss
    > is that you must select "Config Network = Yes" before you can change
    > any network settings.
    >
    > --
    > M J Dowden <mjdowden@panix.com>
    > PGP key: <http://www.panix.com/~mjdowden/keys.shtml>
    > No Microsoft products were used in the preparation or
    > transmission of this message

    The answer depends on the operating system(s) of the computers that want to
    print. If a computer is running anything up through Windows 2000, use the "HP
    Install Network Printer Wizard".

    If the computer is running XP, use the built-in printer wizard which knows all
    about HP printers attached via JetDirect with TCP/IP addresses. Use the
    printer wizard to select a local (that's right! not networked) printer, select
    HP TCP/IP as the type of port, enter the IP address and off you go... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 20:52:14 -0400, "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Left the card for a 2550A. Only has TP port. Earlier tonight I used HP
    >Download Manager, or, who knows what, to upgrade the firmware.
    >
    >So, it's networked, for sure.
    >
    >However, finding a copy of JetDirect software so I can now print to the
    >goddam thing is my next step.
    >
    >And the wonderfully overly excessive HP website is, as usual, no help.
    >
    >I guess, my meekly pointed question is now, how does an IP address become a
    >Print Queue?
    >

    >"M J Dowden" <mjdowden@panix.com> wrote in message
    >> In article <bqGdnUQmS-NqXW3fRVn-uQ@comcast.com>,
    >> "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>

    >> > I fear you maybe correct. I was on HP's website reading and posting in
    >its
    >> > forum, and pretty much the same answer. Except with the firmware of the
    >> > card, I may NOT be able to telnet to it.
    >> >
    >> > Whatever the case, I fear it's lost.
    >> >
    >> > I may go and get a similar card with only twisted pair as an option.
    >Maybe
    >> > that will work.
    >>

    >> If you have access to an old Macintosh (OS 9 or earlier), you can
    >> use the LaserJet Utility to configure the card over AppleTalk (either
    >> EtherTalk or LocalTalk). You will be able to set an IP number and a
    >> netmask, which will make it possible to Telnet to the machine over
    >> TCP/IP.
    >> Nevertheless, are you sure that the front panel of the printer
    >> won't give you the necessary access? One detail that many people miss
    >> is that you must select "Config Network = Yes" before you can change
    >> any network settings.
    >>
    >> --
    >> M J Dowden <mjdowden@panix.com>
    >> PGP key: <http://www.panix.com/~mjdowden/keys.shtml>
    >> No Microsoft products were used in the preparation or
    >> transmission of this message

Hewlett Packard Laserjet Computers